Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 16, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #3,946 of 11,345
MEMPHIS

So, I stopped by my Midtown Memphis art supply store to pick-up some supplies just now. The clerk said someone else in Memphis had been in and bought a strange group of items: plasticine, felt, X-Acto knife blades, glue, etc.  She looked mystified and said, "He said he is modifying headphones."   
blink.gif

Imagine that; 2 people out of a million having headphone fun!  

If you happen to see this post PM me.  If anyone knows who this mystery person might be, let him know a kindred soul would like to swap "There I was" stories.

BMF

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3,949 of 11,345
Silver and Gold!

with an extra toy
biggrin.gif

I'm listening to the T40 stock and didn't go &^%$#@!
blink.gif
seriously speaking, this sounds a lot more decent than the T50 only that the bass is lacking; but mids and highs I already like! not to mention that spacious sound! --- disclaimer: speaking from sound memory only
tongue.gif

This should be fairly easier to work with :p

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #3,950 of 11,345

Quote:
How many hourse of burn-in do these fostexes require?

I figure 8-12 hours will give a proper impression. I played mine for 8 hours and then modded them.

BTW, are you from Guatemala?

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #3,951 of 11,345
Just modified my 840 pads somewhat a la HDman, by just making deeper pleather rings to hold the pads on and raising the backs to mimic O2/Denon pads; and it's done wonders for the soundstage.  Can't recommend this enough.

These headphones just continue to impress me in new ways.

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #3,952 of 11,345
Dynamat on the ear side of the baffle ---> BMF #6 

Remove the dust cover felt and adhesive before Dynamat installation.  It won't work over felt  So, use an X-acto chisel blade and be very careful.  It takes a lot of pressure and you don't want the knife to slip - be VERY careful!  

I did not remove the dust cover over the driver by design, but you can take it off.  If you do, be careful to not cut away the clear mesh that's over the driver, just underneath the dust cover.  

Go back a couple of days and look at BMF #5 if you want to try this mod; it's the same except for the Dynamat.  As much as I like #5, this one is better. The bass and treble are extended further than BMF #5 and everything remains balanced.  I'm very happy with this one.

You can see the dust cover is thin and loosely woven. There is a bit more embedded in the adhesive, but not much.  The adhesive is difficult to remove.  Take your time and be very, very careful with the blades.

I used 2 of these chisel blades per baffle.  You can see I left the dust cover over the driver.  Some have reported remarkable treble after taking this off.  I did this on a previous mod and could not tell a difference.   

Dynamat surrounds the driver with a notch cut for the baffle equalization vent.  A flashlight battery works as a roller.

Adhesive felt over Dynamat seals the goo.  Notch cut for equalization vent.

Same inside as BMF #5: stock driver felt, stock bass port felt, stock ear pads with gauze lifters, stock cable, 1 layer of Paxmate in the cups, and 5 or 6 times as much plasticine as other mods.

Tune the bass and treble to suit yourself.  

It's all reversible.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #3,954 of 11,345

Quote:
Yep, I'm from guatemala 
o2smile.gif

Just ordered these of amazon tonight! Psyched to get modding! Probably gonna go with the BMF #5 until I can afford some O2 pads to try the rastapants 2.

Otro Chapin....que buena onda!

Good luck with the modding!

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #3,955 of 11,345
Sweet! Another Guatemalan Head-Fier glad to know I'm not alone,  Thanks! Chapines ftw!

Quote:
Otro Chapin....que buena onda!

Good luck with the modding!

Bluemonekyflyer, If you don't mind me asking, are you using the 1mm think Dynamat or the 2mm Dynamat Xtreme, I can;t seem to find the normal stuff (think it's out of production but not sure), so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
Quote:

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #3,956 of 11,345
Xtreme for car speakers. Looks like 2 mm. I'll double check tomorrow.

This stuff brings out more bass and treble details when properly installed. Go to the Dynamat web page and see how it's installed on the front of the door panel (baffle) with the aluminum facing you surrounding the driver.

I'm guessing it cleans up the bass response which allows perception of fine treble details previously hidden. Except for narrower soudstage width, this is voiced very much like LCD2 from top to bottom and delivers nice 3D effects.

I'm going to retrofit all my previous mods this way.

Sweet! Another Guatemalan Head-Fier glad to know I'm not alone,  Thanks! Chapines ftw!

Bluemonekyflyer, If you don't mind me asking, are you using the 1mm think Dynamat or the 2mm Dynamat Xtreme, I can;t seem to find the normal stuff (think it's out of production but not sure), so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #3,957 of 11,345
Damping the source of vibration nearer the source makes more sense and should have a greater effect than sticking dynamat in the cups, plus then doesn't eat up your internal volume.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #3,959 of 11,345

Quote:
Also I know these are orthos so they need an amp, I have a Fiio E10 will this thing be enough or should I invest in something stronger?

I would suggest you invest in something stronger. The more beefy the power, the better these will sound. When I pair them up with weak amps, the bass seems to disappear.

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #3,960 of 11,345
Does anyone know if these are available anywhere? I checked last week and everything was back ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back