Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 16, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #3,933 of 11,345

Quote:
Perhaps with the RastaPants2 mod that may be true but it's not true in the case of the two mods I have done. The O2 pads were almost the worst, beating only the stock pads. 

Right.  When you switch to the O2 everything changes.  I had to totally go back to the drawing board.  The O2 suck out the mids, but they were so darn comfy I had to keep them.  However, the final config exceeded anything I have done with the other three pad options.  I am confident there are multiple paths to extreme fidelity...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 16, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #3,934 of 11,345

Quote:
I am confident there are multiple paths to extreme fidelity...

Wouldn't it be hilarious if one of our headphones measures better than the new LCD-3?
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #3,935 of 11,345
I have a lot of respect for the LCD-2, it's awesome and I'm not about to sell it...  They did a great job and I hope and trust the 3 will extend the threshold in quality (since it certainly did in price)...

To my ear, the sound I realized is a little faster in the attack and has more presence in the 1-5K zone, as well as up top.   I wouldn't describe these as bright; I can't stand a "bright" headphone, the tizzy-top sound makes me want to unplug, fast... 

The Rastapants 2 has a very similar feel, but offers a less "relxed" sound. To my ear/brain more balanced and revealing.  But I could easily see someone preferring the LCD-2.

Listening to the remester of "Meddle" right now, and totally digging it.  One of my favorite albums, rediscovered.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #3,938 of 11,345
I am still waiting for my Silverstone acoustic foam and ear pads to arrive, but I went ahead and did one of bluemonkeyflyers's suggestions and rolled out some cotton balls and stuffed them in a ring inside the stock ear pads.  I can't believe how much of a difference this one mod has made!  

My T50RPs are stock other than this "mod".  I suppose putting more space between my ear and driver creates a larger soundstage but man do these things sound a lot better already!  With stock, I felt that certain components of the song (mids) would try and dominate.  With the cotton everything in spectrum has tightened up and gets along better with each other.  

If this one simple mod has made this much difference I can't wait to receive the rest of my supplies to arrive to see what the full mod does.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #3,940 of 11,345
Many thanks, ludoo!

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #3,941 of 11,345
It's safe to say I really like these :) I was supposed to sleep around midnight and ended up sleeping around 2am since I couldn't take these off my head..oh the sacrifices one must make :)

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #3,943 of 11,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
you will never achieve the same result with any pads that are not angled, period.

Perhaps with the RastaPants2 mod that may be true but it's not true in the case of the two mods I have done. The O2 pads were almost the worst, beating only the stock pads. 

Quote:
The difference between pads is huge. Larger than many might think. 

I know pads make a big difference on my Grado's, and there is a big difference between the 02 pads and stock pads on my plastic T50. It's not going to be practical to keep switching pads on the 2 phones though. It's probably not even practical to keep both phones. Which pads do you like better though, the 840 pads or the 03 pads?

And I'm guessing the modded 03 pads are pretty easy to put on and take off.too.

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #3,944 of 11,345

Users who are viewing this thread

Back