Just got the Koss Portapro - I wasted $30.00
Jan 25, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #31 of 105
Absolutely useless post.
confused_face.gif

Quote:
they are too old. get some newer technology. stop buying 30 years headphone.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #32 of 105
Jan 25, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #33 of 105

Quote:
Quote:
The new version of the PX100 moved into a double wide, so to speak, as it's quite a bit more expensive than (though evidently much improved over) the original model. In fact, minusblindfold, you might like the PX100 II if you felt the PP bass was lacking. The Senns are supposed to have that warm, dark thing going on, with satisfying bass for an ultraportable.

oh, yeah, i used the original PX100's for a while, the PX100's are more or less the same, you must be talking about there older sibilings, the PX200/ii's

Hmm...you mean that the two PX100s are more or less the same, or that they're not very different from the PP? I was under the impression that the new revision of the PX100 was quite different from the original. It has a single cord entry, for one. HeadRoom was over the moon about them, claiming a vast improvement in sound over the original. They're more expensive, too. They usually sell for about $60-$70, where the older ones were in the $30-$40 range. I almost got them for a change, but decided to push a little higher and get the SRH440.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #34 of 105

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
The new version of the PX100 moved into a double wide, so to speak, as it's quite a bit more expensive than (though evidently much improved over) the original model. In fact, minusblindfold, you might like the PX100 II if you felt the PP bass was lacking. The Senns are supposed to have that warm, dark thing going on, with satisfying bass for an ultraportable.

oh, yeah, i used the original PX100's for a while, the PX100's are more or less the same, you must be talking about there older sibilings, the PX200/ii's

Hmm...you mean that the two PX100s are more or less the same, or that they're not very different from the PP? I was under the impression that the new revision of the PX100 was quite different from the original. It has a single cord entry, for one. HeadRoom was over the moon about them, claiming a vast improvement in sound over the original. They're more expensive, too. They usually sell for about $60-$70, where the older ones were in the $30-$40 range. I almost got them for a change, but decided to push a little higher and get the SRH440.

I meant to say that the two PX100's are very similar with each other. from reviews and comparisons, it appears most of the changes are cosmetic. anyways, I think headroom was just trying to push the new version because they probably needed a bit of hype to boost sales due to the increased cost. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #35 of 105
Do the Portapros sound the same as the ksc-75?  I know they use the same driver, and the pads and enclosures are pretty much the same, and I think I have heard that they sound the same. 

If so, they are a great headphone.  While more expensive headphones beat them in things like resolution, clarity, soundstage and dynamics, they have a very balanced sound signature that beats many top of the line headphones.  That's what I think is so great about them, the simple fact that they don't really do anything horribly wrong.  They're like a mini-HD600.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #36 of 105

Quote:
Do the Portapros sound the same as the ksc-75?  I know they use the same driver, and the pads and enclosures are pretty much the same, and I think I have heard that they sound the same. 

If so, they are a great headphone.  While more expensive headphones beat them in things like resolution, clarity, soundstage and dynamics, they have a very balanced sound signature that beats many top of the line headphones.  That's what I think is so great about them, the simple fact that they don't really do anything horribly wrong.  They're like a mini-HD600.

I think they would sound very similar...same housing...same driver, minus the headband

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #37 of 105

Quote:

The driver is the same, but the KSC75 iteration is coated with titanium. This is supposed to increase treble output, and the HeadRoom graphs seen to support this. They would likely be similar, with the PortaPro being a little less sparkly.

EDIT: Epic misspell. "Spakrly" FTL.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #38 of 105
I enjoy my Porta Pros.  They're "fun" - part of this has to do with the retro look - unchanged since the '80s.  I've owned a couple of pairs of these over the last 30 years.

Currently, I have the anniversary edition.  (I seriously doubt there's any difference in the drivers on the anniversary edition.)  Porta Pros sound pretty decent for the price; a bit bass heavy, though.  They're fairly durable & inexpensive to replace, which makes them good for traveling (when isolation isn't needed - great for movies on the laptop in the hotel room). 

I use mine during day hikes & cycling - this is where they really shine, imho; one can get good sound when un-amped, they're easy to drive, low micro-phonics compared to iem's & they're more comfortable during sustained activity.

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #42 of 105

Quote:

Exactly ! :D

I never intended to buy them but when I heard them I was quite shocked that they had no real weakness as their low price point. Almost every other cheap headphone around was deficient in either bass, treble , mids or in many cases in 2 out of the three.

The Portapros (IMO) are pretty balanced in that respect and in fact scale a bit with an amplifier. I frankly really like them even though I have 2 much more expensive cans to use.

I will never sell them off and if they break I will simply get another one as I have not heard any budget headphone that I have liked quite as much as the Portapros. I suspect that the ones the OP received were fake as I can understand people finding them OK but I dont think their sound is so polarizing that people will actually hate them.

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #43 of 105

Quote:

I am pretty dissapointed. They'll be fine to use as exercising headphones, but for any kind of serious listening these don't even come close.

Bummer, sorry for your diappointment. I pair mine with a Clip and that is pretty much how I use them, at the gym, or a walk around the block. I find the PortaPro to be very musical. What they lack in terms of details they make up for by being very PRaTty, and they gallup on my main rig. So adding an amp to the chain helps but is not necessary. Not sure what your issue is mine rock. Good bass with decsent mids and highs. If they dont have any bass you have an issue. The PortaPro has a lifetme warranty though, call Koss.

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #44 of 105
This thread has totally inspired me  - I have my KSC-75s on as I type this, and I'm going to listen to nothing else for the next week. I'm hearing things I just havent picked up on before with these headphones, and the bass out of my 6G Nano is just sublime with tracks like 'Hysteria' and 'Love Bites' from my misspent youth. Its like my ears are having a party and the 70's and 80's have been invited - a huge 'thank you' to the OP for reigniting the love of so many for the Koss budget blasters ! 

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #45 of 105

Quote:
Quote:

The driver is the same, but the KSC75 iteration is coated with titanium. This is supposed to increase treble output, and the HeadRoom graphs seen to support this. They would likely be similar, with the PortaPro being a little less sparkly.

EDIT: Epic misspell. "Spakrly" FTL.

So the Porta Pro is essentially a KSC-35 with a headband?  I actually thought the KSC35 sounded better than the 75.  The 75 has more treble, but it gains some tinny qualities and looses something special about the 35's, something organic and natural about them. 

But the 75's seem more durable because 2 pairs of my 35's got rattles and I'm still going strong on my only pair of 75's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back