Just got the Koss Portapro - I wasted $30.00
Jan 24, 2011 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

minusblindfold

New Head-Fier
I thought these were supposed to sound good. They do not. Maybe I got a fake pair. They just sound like the cheapie walkman headphones to me, except a little better. These have NO detail whatsoever. Songs that I'm very familiar with - when listened to on the Portapros - there are sounds I can't even hear that I know are there. There is no richness to the sound. Bass is ok, I was expecting very heavy bass from what I heard but the bass on these is weak compared to my cheap Auvios. They're only redeeming feature is they're very comfortable, but the sound is not what I expected at all.

I am pretty dissapointed. They'll be fine to use as exercising headphones, but for any kind of serious listening these don't even come close.

I must either be crazy, or I got a fake pair. I can't believe that so many people think these sound so good, yet they sound so crappy to me. :frowning2:

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 105

Quote:

I must either be crazy, or I got a fake pair. I can't believe that so many people think these sound so good, yet they sound so crappy to me. :frowning2:

Well...or they are not for you. 

They sounded ok to me, but i couldn't ask more (considering they are $30 hp's) 

I gave them away to my bro. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 105
they are not the got headphones, but they are the god killers for there price range. It's all about prefrence. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 105
I think the praise these receive is usually tempered by the line "for the price." I don't know of anybody on here who uses these as their main headphones--the idea behind such secondary or tertiary headphones is to retain a certain (preferably high) percentage of the performance of their better equipment, but in a cheap, lightweight, knockaround design. That said, if you don't like them, you don't like them. Nobody should be able to force you to think otherwise.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 105
Please advise re the other headphones you have heard. Personally, I find the KSC-75 (same as Portapro but without the headband) very entertaining for the money - your post reminds me of folk who bought the HD201 expecting the HD600 for < $50. Aint gonna happen. If I wanted to compare the KSC-75 to some of the other headphones I own, I would have to qualify every criticism with the difference in cost - it really is apples and oranges.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 105
I personally love my PortaPro's. Very musical, warm and engaging (for the money). As far as beat-around portables go, they are the best I have used. As much as my inventory of cans has changed over the years, I am fairly confident that I will always have a PP in the stable. Wait... that's not what I mean! :wink:

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 105

Quote:
Quote:
... Personally, I find the KSC-75 (same as Portapro but without the headband) very entertaining for the money ...

[size=medium]

I have been thinking about getting one, but i already have the ksc75, and comments like this stop me. they do look comfortable tho.
[/size]

porta pros?...the headband rips chunks of your hair out no matter how short they are :p

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 105

Quote:
I thought these were supposed to sound good. They do not. Maybe I got a fake pair. They just sound like the cheapie walkman headphones to me, except a little better. These have NO detail whatsoever. Songs that I'm very familiar with - when listened to on the Portapros - there are sounds I can't even hear that I know are there. There is no richness to the sound. Bass is ok, I was expecting very heavy bass from what I heard but the bass on these is weak compared to my cheap Auvios. They're only redeeming feature is they're very comfortable, but the sound is not what I expected at all.

I am pretty dissapointed. They'll be fine to use as exercising headphones, but for any kind of serious listening these don't even come close.

perhaps it isn't your sound signature. try headphones before you buy them. if you can that is you might be forced to just take advice buy them try them and decide weather you liek them after that.

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #14 of 105

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
... Personally, I find the KSC-75 (same as Portapro but without the headband) very entertaining for the money ...

[size=medium]

I have been thinking about getting one, but i already have the ksc75, and comments like this stop me. they do look comfortable tho.
[/size]

porta pros?...the headband rips chunks of your hair out no matter how short they are :p

lol, my hair is curly and kinda long ...  you just remind me the AKG K1. somebody described it as "being scalped"

1000x500px-LL-55737e4f_IMG_5683.JPG

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 105

Quote:
they are too old. get some newer technology. stop buying 30 years headphone.

If you tell us you own a pair of Sony MDR-V6, I am gonna laugh so hard
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back