Just got koss pro dj100 and it's great!
Aug 3, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #76 of 83
My new pair is really frustrating right now. I haven't had time to burn it in past day 4. It sounded fine then for most music though. Now even on any amp with any pads the mid-bass feels really bloated and the bass just bleeds into the mids a little more than I remember. It's almost as if I can at times feel the cups vibrating or something. My 6400 made it look like some sort of bass monster and it's not.

When I listen to a song with a good soundstage in the recording (like classical) it instantly turns into sounding like I'm listening to music coming from a tin cup or something. This is NOT how it's supposed to be. Then at this moment cymbals are especially goofy sounding.

I know when a DJ100 is good to go when it has very good vocals and a clear sound. It's just not quite as clear as my old pair. Just annoying. My old pair was super clear with most everything.

I guess at this point I will keep it in the drawer for 4 days burning in and if it doesn't change I'll just return it and get another pair. Maybe this time I'll crank the volume much louder. I didn't use an amp to burn them in, so maybe that had something to do with it
confused_face_2.gif

It'll be nice to know what the heck is going on! Burn in may just be a waste at this point, but who knows. Maybe I'll just buy another pair from another source and then keep the one that sounds best. Too bad the closest Best Buy that has them is one hour there and one hour back. If I get another pair and it still sounds like garbage I'll stop suggesting them. Fingers crossed that they magically fix theirselves by day 8 of burn-in. I guess at least it was noticeably better sounding on day 4.

Now I'm REALLY wish I didn't mess with my old perfectly good pair. Sounds good when open, but just not the same as the closed pair.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #77 of 83
do you have pics of this open pair? 

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #78 of 83

Quote:
do you have pics of this open pair? 

Here's a picture. The HD-497 is one of the ugliest headphones there is and it looks cheap. Unfortunately without mods, all the pads are too small to be comfortable. I added the SRH-240 pads that I softened up in the washer.

Here's the thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557910/make-a-headphone-that-sounds-like-the-hd-598-but-even-better

Biggest difference is that when open, the driver is a lot more clear than when closed.

I don't suggest doing this at all unless you're crazy and want to kill your DJ100. It also requires a recable. I'm glad I did it, but the DJ100 is one of my favorite headphones.
Koss needs to make an open headphone similar to the DJ100 that could compete with the HD-598 and is ultra comfortable. The MV is most definitely not it!

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #79 of 83
Today I've been experimenting with all my DJ100 pads.
It turns out that my NEW pair does not really get along with the MDR-V6 pads. My old pair did quite well. It could be that the newer DJ100s are a tad more bass heavy. Doubt it. With the MDR-V6 pads the bass was a bit bloated and would bleed into the mids VERY VERY slightly. Due to the slightly bloated bass it felt as if the entire sound was a little less clear. The V6 pads have a foam backing and that's probably what did it.

I think I like the M30 pads the most. They came on my original M30 and were not the replacement pads. These don't have the foam backing. The bass is reduced (from the bloated bass) and it now sounds more normal. They sound very similar to the JVC RX300 pads but I find them more comfortable. They have more "ridges" on the pad and somehow they're more cool and comfortable than the V6 pads. The RX300 pads give you more room than stock pads and don't touch your ears.

The Koss UR-40 pads fit and sound good from what I remember, but some type of backing is required or else the drivers are exposed. I want to experiment more with these tomorrow. There was a lot of room inside the pads, but are oval. Strangely the bass still was there.

Shure SRH-240 pads also fit quite well, but they get hot and are kind of hard. They sound way better than the SRH-840 pads.

I think less air in the space between your ear and the driver and the more bass you will get. It seems when there is a TON of room in there, there is less bass and more treble. This is why I think I hated the SRH-840 pads on them. It seems maybe if the pads are closer to touching the holes surrounding the driver, maybe the more bass also? Who knows. I don't even know for sure what those paper covered holes do, but they 100% do effect the sound. Open them and you've killed your DJ100 until you fix it. The M30 pads cover some of these "vent" holes more than the stock pads. This may be why there is a tiny bit of extra bass perhaps with the M30 pads. Probably not, but seems like it.

Last night I finished day 5 of burn-in. I played some bass heavy music overnight through my amped DJ100 at quite high volume levels. Seems to be getting better. I also forgot that the E9's small jack seems to reduce the treble on most headphones. I didn't notice yesterday because the headphones were not sounding at their best anyway.

Now if I could just find some SRH-940 velour pads I'd try them with the DJ100. Too bad the M50 pads are out of stock everywhere. I remember those being comfortable.

EDIT: Sound seems the clearest from the RX300 pads, but it could be my imagination. It's nice having angled pads! I might stick with the RX300 pads after all.

BTW I'm now positive my newest DJ100 is at 100% now. It's completely unacceptable that a headphone should take FIVE FULL DAYS of burn-in to sound great. I wish I was lying, but they sounded TERRIBLE out of the box (1st pair didn't). People who don't believe in burn-in should buy a pair of DJ100s! I can't figure out how anyone can think these don't have enough treble. They have really good treble out of the E9. Angled drivers really seem to improve the soundstage..or at least my ears are just fooled. Thom Yorke's "Eraser" sounds amazing with these. So..for those that burn in headphones, crank the volume up HIGH! Not loud enough to blow your drivers at least. Biggest difference after burn-in is how clear they sound afterwards. Very strange.

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #80 of 83
Today I tried out the M50 pads and they're a near perfect fit. OK, they're oval, but do not seem to negatively effect the sound in any way. They're not loose and very secure. Seem comfortable, but it may take a few days to get adjusted to using them.

Another person suggested the M50 pads too and I just wanted to confirm this. All this time and I never thought once of using these pads! I got my pair from Sweetwater for $9.00 each. You need two of them.

BTW J&R has the DJ100 for $70 until 9/1/1
It seems the DJ100 rarely goes on sale. Not sure why. Best Buy hasn't done any more of the $50 sales on them like they did last year.

EDIT: I think the DJ100 with the M50 pads might just be the best I've heard them. Seems like they even have a little extra treble too. Probably my imagination.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #81 of 83
Been using my DJ100 non-stop lately. It's like a whole new headphone with the M50 pads. It's too bad they're a tad less comfortable for me than most since I wear glasses. Still better than stock. For those that feel the DJ100 doesn't have enough treble for you, give these a try! I removed the foam backing from mine to cut down on the added bass. This add a lot of extra treble so I don't suggest this at first.

I wonder why switching from the stock pads to the M50 pads changed it's sound so much? With the M50 pads the mids are not so in your face, but still an upfront experience. The soundstage is definitely the 2nd biggest difference over the extra treble.

With the M50 pads these are now actually more than acceptable for classical. Yeah, really!

The DJ100 is really quite strange. They sound a bit different with every source and amp I've heard. I've been using them unamped from an iaudio 7 (for testing) and it almost sound better than using them from my Ipod Touch. Somehow they sound a little more clear with a smaller amp. Probably just my imagination here.

Right now they sound the best using a DAC going to my Micro amp of course. Soundstage seems a lot larger using the DAC for some reason.

When I use them as a portable I may switch from the Ipod Touch + amp to the iaudio 7. It's just that much better. I don't know why the DJ100 prefers the iaudio 7. They're not horrible straight from that source but the volume needs to be maxed and the bass suffers a bit it seems. My favorite amp for them is the Total Airhead, but the E7 may be just as good. Not sure yet. The Nuforce Mobile is terrible for it and that amp is worse than the E5 IMO.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #82 of 83
Hey Tdockweiler would srh440's pad fit? Have you tried 'em yet? Do they make any diference?

Quote:
Been using my DJ100 non-stop lately. It's like a whole new headphone with the M50 pads. It's too bad they're a tad less comfortable for me than most since I wear glasses. Still better than stock. For those that feel the DJ100 doesn't have enough treble for you, give these a try! I removed the foam backing from mine to cut down on the added bass. This add a lot of extra treble so I don't suggest this at first.

I wonder why switching from the stock pads to the M50 pads changed it's sound so much? With the M50 pads the mids are not so in your face, but still an upfront experience. The soundstage is definitely the 2nd biggest difference over the extra treble.

With the M50 pads these are now actually more than acceptable for classical. Yeah, really!

The DJ100 is really quite strange. They sound a bit different with every source and amp I've heard. I've been using them unamped from an iaudio 7 (for testing) and it almost sound better than using them from my Ipod Touch. Somehow they sound a little more clear with a smaller amp. Probably just my imagination here.

Right now they sound the best using a DAC going to my Micro amp of course. Soundstage seems a lot larger using the DAC for some reason.

When I use them as a portable I may switch from the Ipod Touch + amp to the iaudio 7. It's just that much better. I don't know why the DJ100 prefers the iaudio 7. They're not horrible straight from that source but the volume needs to be maxed and the bass suffers a bit it seems. My favorite amp for them is the Total Airhead, but the E7 may be just as good. Not sure yet. The Nuforce Mobile is terrible for it and that amp is worse than the E5 IMO.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #83 of 83
Quote:
Still surprised nobody has accused me of being a Koss employee or Koss fanboy yet
normal_smile%20.gif
. As I always say, these are extremely under-appreciated here. They deserve to be up there with the KSC75 and Porta Pro as good budget headphones. Fingers crossed that Koss comes up with an open version that's as comfortable as the HD-598 and not portable!

Maybe people avoid them because they're a bit harder to find and because they're a DJ headphone? I have no idea. Not many people sell them online also. From what Koss told me, basically anyone can sell them and it's not a Best Buy exclusive like I thought. Very strange.

I'd do anything to see a frequency graph for these....

I don't think they'll ever achieve such a status. The portapro's have been around for three decades with a distinct sound signature, which interestingly, matches contemporary tastes very, very closely. Strangely prescient on their part. 

The KSC75's are just extra-ordinary, regardless of price. 

I reserve a more detailed judgement until at least 50 hours burn in, but the dj100's are far too subtle to ever reach the type of audience of the 75 and portapro's. Take a look at the number of amazon reviews: closing in on 1,000 for the 75's, just a few dozen for the 100''s, and the 100's are hardly ones to break the bank. 

Koss does an amazing job of designing and manufacturing headphones, but they aren't trendy like apple or beats headphones. 

The popularity of a brand or model shouldn't make any difference: sales figures don't effect my level of enjoyment of any particular pair of headphones.

BTW, great work on posting so much info on the 100's; greatly appreciated. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back