Joining the Little Dot Family
Mar 15, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #466 of 515
Wow. These Amperex 5654 sounds great without any burn-in. Highs aren't harsh as were with M8100's and GE Five stars without burn-in. Can't wait to hear my Amperex's with more hours on them.

Mar 15, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #467 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JP, I was under the impression that these tubes worked in the MKIII???

Am I missing something??? Please advise!!!

Sword said the stock grid resistor for the power tubes has to be changed to 120 ohm for the 6H30Pi's. An easy mod . Check the MK III tube rolling thread for details. webghost has posted a really good solution for running either type.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #468 of 515
Recieved my MK IV SE
smily_headphones1.gif
I was suprised how small the front tubes are - I've only seen them on pictures and they seem much much larger there
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #470 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a pair of matched GE 5-star 5654 in FS forum. I, somehow, prefer the stock M8100.

Many impressions on tubes have a lot to due with what headphones are being used and/or what music is being listened too. There are many who love the M8100 and consider it to be the best tube Mullard ever made. The M8100 isn't for me, but I'm only one person with one setup and one type of headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif
Finding what works for you is a special and personal thing. I'm happy you are finding the ones that work great for you.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's all about the "finding" that makes it fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #472 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact, my favorite so far is WE 403B which has wider sound stage and more relaxed sound.

That's interesting. The previous MKIVse I had, used 408A's and the WE was the "default" great sounding driver tube. They look just like the 403's in size and your description of their sound. WE made some great tubes for sure!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm going to have to score some WE403's eventually and check them out.
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #473 of 515
biggrin.gif
My MkIII just arrived about 15 mins ago! Got it hooked up using a crappy ass cable I got from across the road (cos im using my d1 as dac and it has mini out, not rca :/) but fear not, I am also working on making my own cables when I get all the stuff together. It is definatly the fullest/strongest (i suck at explaining sound so that will have to do :p) that my headphones have ever sounded.

However there is a slight crackling/hissy/fuzzy type noise there. I dunno if it is the cables fault or something to do with the tubes (i.e. not clean/set properly or something).

Any ideas? - Also, pics soon methinks! when I find the camera.

Mar 20, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #474 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by GiR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:there is a slight crackling/hissy/fuzzy type noise there. I dunno if it is the cables fault or something to do with the tubes (i.e. not clean/set properly or something).

Any ideas?

Your problems are very likely due to oxidized pins on the tubes. If you don't have Deoxit or a similar specialty goop to clean them, try very fine sand paper, steel wool, an emory board, or a metal polish to remove the tarnish. A little elbow grease should fix your noise problems.

Edit: If you use a polish, be sure to clean off any residue with a solvent.

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #475 of 515
Pics are here!

Slightly blurry :/

Better and close up
smily_headphones1.gif

Desktop picture - with flash - without

And finally for those who wanna see that statue - With flash and without

biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #476 of 515
Can anyone give a comparison of the sound signature of the MKIII & the MKIV amps ? I've read all the threads I could find but didn't notice this information in any of them.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #477 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your problems are very likely due to oxidized pins on the tubes. If you don't have Deoxit or a similar specialty goop to clean them, try very fine sand paper, steel wool, an emory board, or a metal polish to remove the tarnish. A little elbow grease should fix your noise problems.

Edit: If you use a polish, be sure to clean off any residue with a solvent.

Maplin > Electronics Cleaners

I know i'm a pain, but would any of those be suitable. I have a maplin across the road from me and those seem to be the only electronics cleaners they have, and dont wanna use somethign that may screw it up or not actually work :p

Thanks for any advice you guys can give!

Mar 21, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #479 of 515
Well, I found myself gutting my MKII & MKIII with a solder sucker in one hand and a soldering iron in the other hand...and, I got the 120ohm change done on both. Whew! It was interesting to say the least.
smily_headphones1.gif
Road tested each one for 1 hour and everything is great. I put the NOS's in the MKII, Golds in the MKIII and DRs in the MKIVse. A little extra listening time and I'll be able to answer questions about the change if anyone wants to know.

I wasn't going to do it until the morning, but I fell badly on the bottom of the stairs earlier and jolted my "fusion" really hard, so I already know I'll be "laid up" all day Friday.
rolleyes.gif
The good thing is I'll have time to do some critical listening.
biggrin.gif
I'll be online most of the day Friday, since I won't be able to do much else.

******************Freebee Alert! Freebee Alert!******************

Before I forget, If anyone wants some 120ohm resistors to do theirs, I have a ten pack, which I used four out of. PM me if you'd like a pair.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #480 of 515
P -

Do you know what resistor value was installed in your original MKIVse that was set-up for 5687's?

In other words, is there a conflict of interests going toward optimizing for 6H30's vs. the 5687/7044's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back