Joining the Little Dot Family
Mar 31, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #496 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by trinkus79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the MKIV and MKIV SE aren't compatible tube wise?
Here is a quick list from my review of the MKIVse.

..from one of your earlier posts, or am I missing something?

Hehehe!
smily_headphones1.gif
It's just me not being as clear as I could be.
redface.gif
There was a change in the MKIVse back about November-December I think. Now, the MKIV and MKIVse share the same power tube family (6H30PI) and CAN share the same driver tube options (EF92 & EF95 compatable).

The MKIV by default comes with 6H30PI-EB (NOS) power tubes and the MKIVse by default comes with EH-6H30PI-Gold power tubes. For driver tubes, the MKIV comes by default with (NOS) JAN GE-5654s (EF92 & EF95 compatible), and the MKIVse comes by default with either the (NOS) Mullard M8100 (EF92 & EF95 compatible) or the (NOS) WE408A (NOT EF92 & EF95 compatible).

So, to make a long story short, if a person orders a MKIVse, they need to specify they want the M8100 in order for the MKIVse to be driver tube compatible (EF92 & EF95) with the MKII, MKIII and MKIV.

If a person orders the MKIV, they will be power tube compatible with the MKIVse and driver tube compatible (EF92 & EF95) with the MKII, MKIII and MKIVse's (that have the M8100, EF92 & EF95 compatible option).

Whew! that was a mouth full.
smily_headphones1.gif
The MKIVse driver tube issue is due to it's production being wound down. I don't think it will last much longer.

The original review was written back when the MKIVse came by default with Mullard E182CC (5687) power tubes and WE408A driver tubes. When they ran out of these tubes, better tubes were designed in (IMHO) and production continued.

I have had both versions and prefer the latest one (EH-6H30PI-Gold power tubes and Mullard M8100 (EF92 & EF95 compatible) driver tubes. The older version was very unique and extremely suited for Classical and Jazz.
smily_headphones1.gif

I did mis-speak to you about the power tube model numbers yesterday. Sorry! The upgrade tube you could get for your MKIV would be either the EH-6H30 Gold tubes, or the expensive 6H30PI-DR power tubes. At a minimum, I'd recommend the EH-6H30PI Gold tubes. The "DR's" cost about $200 for a matched set and not many folks have bought these. The Gold's do improve the overall sound, so they are worth the $17-22 each on the web.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I have confused you in any way, please ask away or PM me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #497 of 515
Nope, I think I got it now
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks.

Have some of these coming:
Mullard CV138 EF91 6AM6
Amalgamated Wireless 5654 6AK5W/6096/CV4010 6AK5 Military Spec EF95
Mullard M8100 / CV4010
and a set of GE 5687's, but for only $7 I'm not too worried about it
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks again penchum

edit: Looks like I should get my amp today also
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #499 of 515
Gah, sucks having stuff mailed to work. My MKIV just arrived, but I don't get to go home for another 4hrs
frown.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #501 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just 1.25 more hour for me! i usually stay a little longer but that aint happening today. 5:30 on the dot.

lucky Bas**rd
smily_headphones1.gif

I still have a 40m ride home from work too
frown.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #502 of 515
Well, I got my MKIV home last night and hooked it up. It sounds amazing, I can't wait till can get a good external DAC to hook it to. Right now I just have a 1/8" to dual RCA going from my Auzentech Prelude to the amp.

I have a couple of questions though:

1. Is it safe to remove the gold tube guards? I see the two screws holding it down, but do they hold anything in place inside the amp. I don't really care for the gold look :\

2. How in the hell do you put the jumpers on without opening the amp? I was looking at it yesterday and I can't imagine using a pair of tweezers to put it on, the opening looks just big enough to fit the jumper through.

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #503 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by trinkus79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I got my MKIV home last night and hooked it up. It sounds amazing, I can't wait till can get a good external DAC to hook it to. Right now I just have a 1/8" to dual RCA going from my Auzentech Prelude to the amp.

I have a couple of questions though:

1. Is it safe to remove the gold tube guards? I see the two screws holding it down, but do they hold anything in place inside the amp. I don't really care for the gold look :\

2. How in the hell do you put the jumpers on without opening the amp? I was looking at it yesterday and I can't imagine using a pair of tweezers to put it on, the opening looks just big enough to fit the jumper through.

It's safe to remove the guards. Just unscrew those two screws. I don't use the guards either since it's much easier to roll tubes without. But I do use the golden plate which I think does make the amp look nice.

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #504 of 515
Crap. Was just about to place an order with David for the IV or SE and he said both are back-ordered and not currently available.

Looks like I might be looking at the MKIII then.

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #505 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's safe to remove the guards. Just unscrew those two screws. I don't use the guards either since it's much easier to roll tubes without. But I do use the golden plate which I think does make the amp look nice.

Good to know. I like the plate, but might have to find a way to turn it silver
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #506 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlychild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crap. Was just about to place an order with David for the IV or SE and he said both are back-ordered and not currently available.

Looks like I might be looking at the MKIII then.

I have heard good things about both the MKIII and MKIV. I guess the MKIV is a whole different beast though. You might want to send David an email and ask how long they plan to have them on back order. If your going to spend the money, why not get what you really want
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #508 of 515
back-order? what the crap!
i just got mine yesterday, and i LOVED the sound right out of the box. i actually liked it more than gilmore lite's.
however, it stopped working after 5 hours of use. emailed david, and he promptly replied and said he would send me a replacement before i send out the defective one.
now, if the item is on backorder.... ******!!!!

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #509 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
back-order? what the crap!
i just got mine yesterday, and i LOVED the sound right out of the box. i actually liked it more than gilmore lite's.
however, it stopped working after 5 hours of use. emailed david, and he promptly replied and said he would send me a replacement before i send out the defective one.
now, if the item is on backorder.... ******!!!!

tj -maybe the backorder is your fault, you bought the last one
smily_headphones1.gif

From what I've read from Penchum and others, the SE is a limited edition run and once it's gone, it's gone. This is why I decided to order one, apparently only 500 of them are/were going to be produced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back