Joining the Little Dot Family
Feb 23, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #436 of 515
How well do Little dot tube amps synergize with Grado's and other low impedance phones?

I've read some comments about LD's not being a good match with Grado's, that low impedance phones are driven by current, and that some tube designs don't do that too well? I'd like to hear what the tube sound is all about, but don't know if the LD's (looking at the MKII & MKIII) will be a good match or not with my Grado SR80's and Senns HD595's. All the other tube amps that people mention a lot as being good with low impedance cans are a bit too much $$$.

For those with LD's and Grado's How do you like your Grado's and LD's?

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #437 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pneumaniatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well do Little dot tube amps synergize with Grado's and other low impedance phones?

I've read some comments about LD's not being a good match with Grado's, that low impedance phones are driven by current, and that some tube designs don't do that too well? I'd like to hear what the tube sound is all about, but don't know if the LD's (looking at the MKII & MKIII) will be a good match or not with my Grado SR80's and Senns HD595's. All the other tube amps that people mention a lot as being good with low impedance cans are a bit too much $$$.

Hi! So far, folks who have bought LD MK series amps have had great synergy with lower impedance phones like Grados. I'm unaware of any negative feedback so far. With the MKII & MKIII, the lower gain settings should work great with the SR80s and HD-595s.
smily_headphones1.gif

If current Grado SR80 and HD-595 owners who have one of the MK series amps would speak up, that would be great.
smily_headphones1.gif

No matter what you do, good luck on your hunt!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #438 of 515
Quote:

My personal experience is LD MKIII with Sony MDR 7509HD, 24 ohms of impedance. I run the amp on low gain and the sound is fantastic! I also ran the amp with 32 ohms hp and it was again very good!

Very good synergie with both headphones.

regards,

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #439 of 515
Quote:

I have the LDMKIII and have SR 80's and HD595's and HD580 that I use with it. They sound fantastic!!! I only recently got the 580's so for the first month or so I had my MKIII I only used the 80's and 595 with it.

Go ahead and purchase the MKIII !!! Don't hesitate! You will be thrilled!

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #440 of 515
Quote:

They sound fine. I have used mine with a 50-ohm Senn HD555, Grado SR60 and 325i.

My only complaint, and it is minor, is that when using low-z headphones anything higher than 9-o'clock on the knob is waaaay too loud, even with the gain switches on the most sensitive (low-z) setting. I would prefer to be closer to the center of the volume pot (somewhere between 11 and 1-o'clock). I'm not sure, but you might be able to get the folks at Little Dot to set the gain differently if you will be using low impedance headphones exclusively.

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #442 of 515
My gear sounds beautiful and I'm using the lowest gain setting. My volume pot is usually between 10-12 o'clock.

Go for it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #444 of 515
I'm using HD595 with MKIII and so far I'm very satisifed. I've never heard my 595 so sweet sounding as it is now. Very very fluid. I'm auditioning an RS1 or MS1...can't wait to hear how it will sound.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #445 of 515
Woot!

Just put my order in for a Mk III
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Dear Ben,

Thank you for your purchase, this confirms your 220V Little Dot MK III tube amplifier!
Please allow 2-3 days to complete and QC your Little Dot MK III and then 4-10 business days total transit time. If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact me anytime!

Best Regards,
David

Can't wait to hear it, sent a few emails back and forward with David, his service is fantastic, always able to answer my questions and very swift response time. I can recommend dealing with him to anyone!

And so here I am, sitting, eagerly awaiting the arrival (even though I only ordered it 5 mins ago
biggrin.gif
) of my new amp.

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #446 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by GiR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woot!

And so here I am, sitting, eagerly awaiting the arrival (even though I only ordered it 5 mins ago
biggrin.gif
) of my new amp.

And you haven't got it yet!??

Geez, DZ is slipping...

Enjoy your new amp man! It's one heck of a bang.

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #448 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by diab0lik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe its time i get a mkIII although i might save up and get the IV

That is the dilemma isn't it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I can tell you for sure, both are very satisfying. You can't go wrong with either one.
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #449 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is the dilemma isn't it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I can tell you for sure, both are very satisfying. You can't go wrong with either one.
biggrin.gif

Remember to leave room in your budget for tube rolling. The stock tubes are not up to par in bringing out all that the amp has to offer.
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #450 of 515
Have a MkIV SE on the way. Happy happy.

Now need to plow through the main thread for tube upgrade recs. Unless someone wants to throw me a bone here?
wink.gif

Current cans are Grado RS-2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back