Joining the Little Dot Family
Feb 11, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #422 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by afternoon025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's really that good?

After reading what I wrote, you have a doubt?

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #423 of 515
If Penchum says it's good, then it's going to be good. I have no doubt about that. Would be nice if they could be bought over here in the UK, though obviously I'd have to change the mains plug to fit.

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #424 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Penchum says it's good, then it's going to be good. I have no doubt about that. Would be nice if they could be bought over here in the UK, though obviously I'd have to change the mains plug to fit.

There is a sister parts outlet to Newark's in the UK....forgot the name...crap! Someone posted about it just the other day. I'll try to locate it for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #425 of 515
Feb 12, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #426 of 515
Penchum, I also have a Volex power cord on my MKIII. I also think there is a noticeable difference between it and the stock cord. Well worth it!

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #427 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Penchum, I also have a Volex power cord on my MKIII. I also think there is a noticeable difference between it and the stock cord. Well worth it!

Nice beefy suckers, that's for sure! I've had my LDII++ running for about 5 hours this afternoon and I just checked...NO warm power cord! With the old one, it was like a cooked spaghetti noodle.
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #428 of 515
Feb 17, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #430 of 515
Yep, this is just one more reason I'm very happy about my purchase with David, Sword, & Co. They really strive to please their customers. I was already appreciating the fact that David started the Suggestion thread over @ the LD site & that he pays attention to it on a regular basis...now these downloadable manuals go to show that they really are listening & responding to what we want.

I love my Little Dot!

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #431 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now for the answer to the question that is rolling around in your head right now: "But Penchum, tell us how they sound!". Right? Well, I gave this a lot of thought, decided to do an honest comparison with the stock cord, using my Little-Dot MKIVse tube amp, my Zune80 playing lossless and my HD-600s. After going back and forth for 1/2 hour, I realized that the "placebo" effect had taken hold, and I had lost my objectivity. Was I hearing something? Maybe. Could I define it? Maybe. Was the new power cord better? Yes. Was I swayed by thoughts of colorful and fancy audio terms floating around in my head? Maybe. Most importantly, would I recommend this to a friend? Yes!

So there you have it. A much better power cord, for a much better price, that is better than the old ones, say's my touch, my eyes, my wallet and maybe my hearing too. No matter how you look at such things as power cords, this 17604 power cord is worth your time and a little of your money.

So, Penchum, is there any further consensus in on the potential SQ improvement with these cords? Just curious....I mean, I think I'm going to buy a few anyways because they seem like good solid & sturdy power cords with a good bang for your buck value. But better SQ would be cream cheese icing on top o' the carrot cake!

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #432 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantztiludrop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, Penchum, is there any further consensus in on the potential SQ improvement with these cords? Just curious....I mean, I think I'm going to buy a few anyways because they seem like good solid & sturdy power cords with a good bang for your buck value. But better SQ would be cream cheese icing on top o' the carrot cake!

Well, I replaced all my stock cords with them, got on to doing other things and really hadn't given it much thought. I guess that is the "hidden pleasure" of cords like this. They are safe, heavy duty and inexpensive. Hook'em up, and forget about them.

If there is a real SQ improvement, those who hear such things will hear it for sure. For everyone else, the peace of mind is more than worth the cost, IMHO.

One thing I did notice for sure, was with my LDII++. When you turn it up, there is this spot where you can tell you are reaching near the limits of the power available. With the new Volex cord, that has disappeared and the volume increase is now smooth and extends much higher than before. It was so obvious, I had to plug the old cord back in to verify it! So, I guess that says something right there!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #433 of 515
About the heat generated at the power cord level, on the MKIII, after 12 hours of continual use the power cord is not warmer than when I started it.

Using the stock power cable of the MKIII is not a heat factor on my unit!

regards,

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #434 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the heat generated at the power cord level, on the MKIII, after 12 hours of continual use the power cord is not warmer than when I started it.

Using the stock power cable of the MKIII is not a heat factor on my unit!

regards,

That's great! I couldn't find it on my MKIVse either. The LDII++ is a little furnace, so that has to play into this as well. It is a direct heater compared to the others which are indirect heaters. I have a spare Volex here for when my MKIII arrives, so I'll check it out during the review process.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back