Joining the Little Dot Family
Feb 9, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #406 of 515
So far I am very happy with this unit. It is performing exactly as expected. I only have one real complaint. I don't understand why the gain controls need to be buried inside the unit. If it wouldn't adversely affect the sound, I would be happier with a control carried out to the front or back of the device.

As it stands, you must turn the unit over and stick something inside, a pretty far reach, to flip the four switches to the appropriate setting. It is not easy to begin with, and further, you could damage the board if you are not careful and choose the wrong sort of tool to reach the switches. In addition, since the switches are accessed from the bottom, you have to turn the unit over, which is actually not really advisable with those delicate tubes sticking out the top. So all in all it is an awkward operation. Since it is likely that users will use a high impedance set of phones with it, I'm surprised it is shipped with the switches set for low impedance. (Well, I guess this makes sense from a "could cause damage" standpoint. The low impedance setting will send out the least energy.) But it pretty much guarantees that if you are using it with a high quality set of cans you are going to be flipping switches when you receive it.

If you are using it with a low impedance set of ear buds I'm not sure why you bought it anyway...

But man, those hassles aside, it sounds great, and is improving with every hour of burn in.

Feb 9, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #407 of 515
Jezzz Chuck!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm fairly sure it is done that way to keep costs down. I'm glad things are going well.
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep us posted!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #408 of 515
There are some people who uses the LD with low gain. People that have Audio-Tecnica's or Grado's for example...

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #409 of 515
I had the same phenomenon on the MKIII. Hisses + static.
I bought a spray can of contact cleaner and applied it with a toothbrush to the pins of the 4 tubes.
The first 30 seconds was dead silent then the hiss come back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put your finger on the front plate of the MK3 until the static noise goes away after 5-10 seconds.
wink.gif

Did as you said, 2X, but it did not correct any static noise. Did this at night.

LOL, But I must have dreamed of garden hose,sandblasting pellets,aluminium foil and whatever because next morning : Static + hisses are gone.!!
tongue.gif
LOL

LOL, the black is even darker and the silences have this whiteness...LOL,LOL,

Farce apart, The hisses + noises are indeed gone and I am now around 16 hours of running the MKIII.If it keeps it present sound this would be fine with me! I like what I listen!!
tongue.gif

regards,

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #410 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same phenomenon on the MKIII. Hisses + static.
I bought a spray can of contact cleaner and applied it with a toothbrush to the pins of the 4 tubes.
The first 30 seconds was dead silent then the hiss come back.

Did as you said, 2X, but it did not correct any static noise. Did this at night.

LOL, But I must have dreamed of garden hose,sandblasting pellets,aluminium foil and whatever because next morning : Static + hisses are gone.!!
tongue.gif
LOL

LOL, the black is even darker and the silences have this whiteness...LOL,LOL,

Farce apart, The hisses + noises are indeed gone and I am now around 16 hours of running the MKIII.If it keeps it present sound this would be fine with me! I like what I listen!!
tongue.gif

regards,

Ah! You were reading about that cable, huh!
biggrin.gif
That's funny!
wink.gif

The static + noises knew this and ran away!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad things are sounding better than ever.

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #411 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put your finger on the front plate of the MK3 until the static noise goes away after 5-10 seconds.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah! You were reading about that cable, huh!
biggrin.gif
That's funny!
wink.gif

The static + noises knew this and ran away!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad things are sounding better than ever.

Yes!
Also keeping the can of contact cleaner nearby...

regards,

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #414 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm now part of the family.

The MKIII is simply UNBELIEVABLE
eek.gif

Cheers

Excellent! Glad to hear things are going great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #415 of 515
Wow, I ordered last Thursday and my new MKIII got here this Thursday. Overall its been good so far with my K701s, and revealed a few surprises. I'll definitely post my impressions once it has burned in a little more.

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #416 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I ordered last Thursday and my new MKIII got here this Thursday. Overall its been good so far with my K701s, and revealed a few surprises. I'll definitely post my impressions once it has burned in a little more.

Great! I'm looking forward to your impressions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #417 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by MontyPythizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my Amperex EF92, wow, THIS is tube sound.
The Ediswans that come with the LDII++ are very digital like and really have some nice gain to them.
These Amperex tubes sound so warm and have a hint of distortion to them as well. They sound so dark and have pretty good low end bass.

I haven't had a chance to try those yet. I'm very curious about any changes they undergo while maturing. Please keep us posted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #418 of 515
I've been searching for quite some time now, for replacement power cords on all my DACs and Amps. I wanted one that was the same or longer (at least 5 feet) than my originals. The idea in my mind was to get a stronger, well built cable (if one could be found) and not have to go parts shopping.

My stock power cords are all 3 connector 18AWG. They are thin with limited shielding, very flexible, and about 5 feet long. On more than one occasion, I have unplugged one of them from the back of my amp, and the wire, right behind the plug, was warm. Even though these are the cheapest factory molded junk power cords I have ever seen, THEY ARE U.L. CERTIFIED!!!
biggrin.gif
LOL
biggrin.gif

I searched here on HeadFi, and on other audio sites. I ran into a reference several times about a power cord made by Volex, called the 17604.
A few clicks later, and I was on VOLEX, Inc's website, looking up this power cord. A few clicks later, I was on Newark.com's website where I found this information in the nomenclature:

Shielded Power Supply Cord; Connector Type A: NEMA 5-15P; Connector Type B: IEC320-C13; Cable Length: 79"; Cord Category: SJT; Approval Bodies: UL, CSA; Body Material: Beldfoil Shield; Color: Black; Current Rating: 15A. It is a 14AWG 3 wire cord. The best part, they are $9.99 each!

I ordered 4 cords under Newark's SKU number 93K2606, and they arrived within 4 days after they shipped, via FedEx (my preference). They are pretty stiff coming out of the box and will most likely take a good warm day before they straighten out completely.

These power cords are made just like everybody else's molded power cords, with the exception of having much better wire, much bigger wire and better shielding. The connectors fit nice and tight, just like they should. Many of my old ones didn't fit very well. For a 6.5 foot power cord at only $10, they are a bargain waiting for you! I am ordering 4 more, to replace the rest of my HeadFi gear power cords; That is how good I feel about these cords.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now for the answer to the question that is rolling around in your head right now: "But Penchum, tell us how they sound!". Right? Well, I gave this a lot of thought, decided to do an honest comparison with the stock cord, using my Little-Dot MKIVse tube amp, my Zune80 playing lossless and my HD-600s. After going back and forth for 1/2 hour, I realized that the "placebo" effect had taken hold, and I had lost my objectivity. Was I hearing something? Maybe. Could I define it? Maybe. Was the new power cord better? Yes. Was I swayed by thoughts of colorful and fancy audio terms floating around in my head? Maybe. Most importantly, would I recommend this to a friend? Yes!

So there you have it. A much better power cord, for a much better price, that is better than the old ones, say's my touch, my eyes, my wallet and maybe my hearing too. No matter how you look at such things as power cords, this 17604 power cord is worth your time and a little of your money.

P.S. My dog seemed totally disinterested in the new power cords, so maybe they are not so attractive to pets.
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #420 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by MontyPythizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is still lacking garden hose, fail.

biggrin.gif
LMAO
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back