Joining the Little Dot Family
Jan 29, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #331 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by headcheck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
8701 on mine
1000403df2.jpg

As long as they are 6H6N, you are good to go! They are a very nice power tube!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #332 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as they are 6H6N, you are good to go! They are a very nice power tube!
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way: 8701 what does it mean? build date 87/January I guess. I know the OTK is for quality checked.

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #333 of 515
Quote:

By the way: 8701 what does it mean? build date 87/January I guess. I know the OTK is for quality checked.

I think for most tubes that is correct. I have run into some special use tubes that you just couldn't figure out what all the stamping means. I tried looking some of it up, but there are very few "established" rules between countries.
smily_headphones1.gif

Man, I just love those rings at the bottom of the tubes on the MKIII !!

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #334 of 515
Wohoo

I finally got my LD MK III. Ordered it 2/1-08 and just recieved it today. (I should say that it has been at the customs office since 6/1-08 and till now! so can't really blame Little tube).

Anywyas i hooked em up with my DT-880 '05 and even though i had to steal a very old rca-minijack from my girlfriends ipod->reciever it sounded great! After reading a bit about the gain switches i messed arround with them for some time, and i must say the gain 10 (Off/Off) sounds much better to me than the normal default gain 3 (On/On).

Since i just recently had my birthday i got a pair of those BeyerDynamics gel earpads, so i need some time to do some testing, but soo far i'm a very happy camper
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #335 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think for most tubes that is correct. I have run into some special use tubes that you just couldn't figure out what all the stamping means. I tried looking some of it up, but there are very few "established" rules between countries.
smily_headphones1.gif

Man, I just love those rings at the bottom of the tubes on the MKIII !!

Now that you mentioned about the "look". That vast black case would look awesome if say you chrome it or mirror polish it or something like this stunner below. Now thats a thread waiting to happen!! After Im done rolling then I'm heading into this phase (Sorry David&Sword).

JJ-Electronic - Vacuum tubes, Capacitors, Amplifiers - JJ322 (323)

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #336 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstract /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wohoo

I finally got my LD MK III. Ordered it 2/1-08 and just recieved it today. (I should say that it has been at the customs office since 6/1-08 and till now! so can't really blame Little tube).

Anywyas i hooked em up with my DT-880 '05 and even though i had to steal a very old rca-minijack from my girlfriends ipod->reciever it sounded great! After reading a bit about the gain switches i messed arround with them for some time, and i must say the gain 10 (Off/Off) sounds much better to me than the normal default gain 3 (On/On).

Since i just recently had my birthday i got a pair of those BeyerDynamics gel earpads, so i need some time to do some testing, but soo far i'm a very happy camper
smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations! Time to burn that sucker in and enjoy it totally!!
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #337 of 515
Quote:

Now that you mentioned about the "look". That vast black case would look awesome if say you chrome it or mirror polish it or something like this stunner below. Now thats a thread waiting to happen!! After Im done rolling then I'm heading into this phase (Sorry David&Sword).

JJ-Electronic - Vacuum tubes, Capacitors, Amplifiers - JJ322 (323)

You should buy a MKII, and build your own custom case, then do surgery and presto! You have an excellent tube amp, custom built!
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #338 of 515
Quote:

Yes, in this case the four digits are for the date no doubt. But even here they don't follow a steadfast rule, some are year/month, some month/year.

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #339 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, in this case the four digits are for the date no doubt. But even here they don't follow a steadfast rule, some are year/month, some month/year.

Some are year/week.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #340 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Hugh, welcome to head-fi. I guess I'll be the one to break it to you, but there is absolutely NO tube rolling options for the original little dot 2. That was the main reason why they introduced the LDII+.

Aha! Ok, well i guess that is both a blessing and a curse! It means that i cannot upgrade until i really need to! Having said that, the tubes are arcing on power up, is there any easy way of getting spares? or shall i just upgrade now and save all the hassle?

Having given the amp a little time to settle in, the grados are sounding better, but the HD650's have the greatest improvement, although i guess that is to be expected!

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #341 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by hughwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha! Ok, well i guess that is both a blessing and a curse! It means that i cannot upgrade until i really need to! Having said that, the tubes are arcing on power up, is there any easy way of getting spares? or shall i just upgrade now and save all the hassle?

Having given the amp a little time to settle in, the grados are sounding better, but the HD650's have the greatest improvement, although i guess that is to be expected!

I would not keep the arcing amp. Remember that the amp was not designed to arc, and it is not normal for it to do so. I had a LDII+ that arced and it's such a hassle to fix, not to mention that it's quite dangerous as it might ruin your headphone (or your hearing, or both at the same time). Remember that the original LD amps don't come with fuses, which makes it doubly dangerous should it malfunction.
frown.gif

On the brighter side, there is the newer, better, Mk-series with loads of tube rolling options, better overall quality, shinnier looks, and, what do you know, it even has a fuse!

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #342 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not keep the arcing amp. Remember that the amp was not designed to arc, and it is not normal for it to do so. I had a LDII+ that arced and it's such a hassle to fix, not to mention that it's quite dangerous as it might ruin your headphone (or your hearing, or both at the same time). Remember that the original LD amps don't come with fuses, which makes it doubly dangerous should it malfunction.
frown.gif

On the brighter side, there is the newer, better, Mk-series with loads of tube rolling options, better overall quality, shinnier looks, and, what do you know, it even has a fuse!

I've heard lots about arcing but I don't really know what it is... What are the symptoms of arcing?

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #343 of 515
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard lots about arcing but I don't really know what it is... What are the symptoms of arcing?

ZAP!
biggrin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #344 of 515
Received my Little Dot MKV yesterday, I have about 30 hours on it now, opening up nicely, the highs are not lost any more, bass is still very good, tightening up a bit too.

Listening to Tenacious D, Tenacious D at the moment, nice peices I didnt pick up on an iPod before.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #345 of 515
I got my MK III last Monday; thanks for all your inputs and reviews; these were all very helpful to me and very encouraging as well.

I already had 15 hours on it. Its getting better everyday of burn in. I can't wait to do critical listening at 100 hours. should be fun.

I'm still awed at the mids...so fluid. I love it...specially the trumpets, clarinets and sax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back