JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #856 of 1,149
Planning to upgrade my dap. Do most of you prefer X5 or DX90 for your Roxanne's?

I did audition the X5 and DX90 with my CF Rox and I prefer the DX90. The X5 is a bit on the warm side and to me, the neutral sounding DX90 match better with the Rox.
In the end, I did not go for either one but went for the AK100II as I prefer the SQ, UI, battery life, storage size over the DX90.

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #859 of 1,149
Makes sense... Thanks for clearing that up. I have quite a few universals, so I am on the other side, looking for my first custom to compliment my unis. Just a hard decision to make without knowing if I'd like the sound sig of the custom. Unis, easily I can resell, customs, not as much.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #860 of 1,149
For ciem, it's a tight and secure and customise fit. For universal iem, I wish to take on and off easily. And most importantly to share this hobby with more people.

Yeah, I agree. Since getting my first custom, I've come to realise how difficult it is to put it on and take it off. At work, I can only use universals, since I'm constantly interacting with my colleagues. Having universals can be so much easier in such situations.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #861 of 1,149
Wow, my experience is the exact opposite, Universals, too me, are tedious to get to seat/seal properly. Where Ciem's go right in, no muss no fuss.
That's one of the reasons I went custom.
Go figure. :D

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #862 of 1,149
Any rumblings about an update/replacement for the Roxanne?  I am thinking about upgrading from my JH13s, but when I bought those the 16s came out a couple months later.  Would like to avoid the same mistake.

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #863 of 1,149
I wouldn't call the 16s an upgrade to the the 13s.  They're the bass lover's version of the 13s.

I'll second the DX90 as a brilliant pair with the Roxannes.  Until I got an iPhone 6 Plus, I was going to get one.  Apple seems to have done something magical with the new iPhones though.  They don't create as deep a soundstage as my portable DACs or the DX90, but do present the same level of detail.  It still seems too good to be true to have a listenable phone headphone jack.  Perhaps I'm just drunk on new toy syndrome.  But every time I do a direct comparison to a portable I respect, the iPhone has the same level of resolution.

That said, I encourage Roxanne owners out there to listen to a high end desktop DAC.  Doing so turns the Roxannes into full size headphone busters.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #864 of 1,149
I mailed my Roxannes off last Thursday, and I have them back this Thursday.  Very quick refit turnaround time 1 week including shipping.  

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #865 of 1,149
  I mailed my Roxannes off last Thursday, and I have them back this Thursday.  Very quick refit turnaround time 1 week including shipping.  

That's really quick. I wonder if they've cleared up any pending order and support queues in prep for upcoming Black Friday specials.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #866 of 1,149
I wouldn't call the 16s an upgrade to the the 13s.  They're the bass lover's version of the 13s.

I'll second the DX90 as a brilliant pair with the Roxannes.  Until I got an iPhone 6 Plus, I was going to get one.  Apple seems to have done something magical with the new iPhones though.  They don't create as deep a soundstage as my portable DACs or the DX90, but do present the same level of detail.  It still seems too good to be true to have a listenable phone headphone jack.  Perhaps I'm just drunk on new toy syndrome.  But every time I do a direct comparison to a portable I respect, the iPhone has the same level of resolution.

That said, I encourage Roxanne owners out there to listen to a high end desktop DAC.  Doing so turns the Roxannes into full size headphone busters.

I agree with Roxanne pairing with a good dac. I'm using with hugo and it sounded very similar with LCD3 fazor. I 've read many threads and many claims iem cant compete with headphone. Headphone can't compete with speakers. For hugo and Roxanne pair, it sounds so musical and In my view, it beats many headphones. The benchmark for me is at lcd3 fazor level as a reference.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #867 of 1,149
I was thinking refit would be a month but I was pleasantly surprised. I got the roxannes in 2 months on the nose so hopefully for future orders they have a normal product ion schedule for these

That's really quick. I wonder if they've cleared up any pending order and support queues in prep for upcoming Black Friday specials.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #869 of 1,149
I was thinking refit would be a month but I was pleasantly surprised. I got the roxannes in 2 months on the nose so hopefully for future orders they have a normal product ion schedule for these

Did you do another set of impressions for the refit or just have them add or remove layers? 

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #870 of 1,149
I had material added to the canals, they were just a little loose. I definately didn't need for them to do a full reshell...

Did you do another set of impressions for the refit or just have them add or remove layers? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back