JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #61 of 1,149
So since there really is little sound stage to begin with then what you are really saying is that there is more definition . And this makes sense as there is more drivers so more resolution and headroom.

No please everybody don't flame me cause I said there is little spud stage . Headphones have more don't they and only speakers really have sound stage .

Al d

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #62 of 1,149
Got my Roxanne on the 26th of December.  I absolutely loved the sound ... But I agree with the stage comment.  There is no comparison between the stage of my computer speakers and the headphone.  I don't blame that on the Roxanne, but on the form factor.  My bass adjustments screws were somewhat stuck and took some effort to move them for the first time.  That is better now, but I am still afraid of braking them, so I leave it alone :)

Sound is amazing and extremely detailed.  This is my first IEM and it is absolutely comfortable and seals the outside sounds perfectly.  I also have issues taking the Right piece out the box, but it does come out without the need of cutting it.  

If someone is curious, I am using the AK120 and a Meridian Explorer to drive them with good quality files .  The AK120 sounds way better ...  Waiting on the LHLabs Pulse X to replace the Meridian ... And hopefully someday a balanced cable for it.

Overall, very happy with it !!!  Will look into buying the JH16 box for travel (like someone recommended it here - Thanks). 

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #63 of 1,149
Dec 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #65 of 1,149
Those of you that have received you Roxannes, thankyou for offering your impressions for the benefit of the rest of us watching this thread.

I've seen some of you remarking that the fine detail afforded by the extended treble may be contributing to better sense of fine reverberations in the soundstage, and thus making the acoustics of the recording venue sound more tangible.

That's great.

But can I ask how organic (or not) the Roxanne's sound?  (especially, but not limited to, the treble)?

I loved the sense of 3D space painted by UM's Miracle, but the downside I found with it is that the treble does not sound organic or realistic with some micro-fine treble details (such as brushed cymbals in jazz music).

So how organic/realistic does the Roxanne treble sound?

Hope my question makes sense - I'm not asking how detailed it sounds, more how realistic/natural/organic.

Cheers.

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #66 of 1,149
  Those of you that have received you Roxannes, thankyou for offering your impressions for the benefit of the rest of us watching this thread.

I've seen some of you remarking that the fine detail afforded by the extended treble may be contributing to better sense of fine reverberations in the soundstage, and thus making the acoustics of the recording venue sound more tangible.

That's great.

But can I ask how organic (or not) the Roxanne's sound?  (especially, but not limited to, the treble)?

I loved the sense of 3D space painted by UM's Miracle, but the downside I found with it is that the treble does not sound organic or realistic with some micro-fine treble details (such as brushed cymbals in jazz music).

So how organic/realistic does the Roxanne treble sound?

Hope my question makes sense - I'm not asking how detailed it sounds, more how realistic/natural/organic.

Cheers.

I am no expert and not a true audiophile by any means ... To me it is very realistic and very detailed (compared to speakers and other headphones I own). On very few tracks, it is so detailed that, to me, it is not so pleasing to listen to.  On those tracks, I prefer to used a Tube Amp to warm it somewhat and take the hard edges to make it more pleasing to my ears (Qinpu and Elekit Tube Amps).  

Again, please take this with a grain of salt ... I just recently (4 months) started to enjoy high quality audio.

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #67 of 1,149
  What? How? And you're just now telling us your impressions? :wink:

Hi,

I just found the Website while looking for more information on the Roxanne.  I was searching to see if there was any talks (anywhere) about upgraded cables. In the future, I would love to have a balanced cable for it.

That was my first post ! But now I will be reading and posting more often here !  Awesome website with a lot of information!

All the best!

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #68 of 1,149
  Hi,

I just found the Website while looking for more information on the Roxanne.  I was searching to see if there was any talks (anywhere) about upgraded cables. In the future, I would love to have a balanced cable for it.

That was my first post ! But now I will be reading and posting more often here !  Awesome website with a lot of information!

All the best!

Yes, I saw it was your first post. That's great!

However, I was wondering how you got your Roxanne's on September 26th when they weren't shipping or even available. That's all, just curious.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #69 of 1,149
  Yes, I saw it was your first post. That's great!

However, I was wondering how you got your Roxanne's on September 26th when they weren't shipping or even available. That's all, just curious.

Darin,

I mistype the date .. I thought 26Th of December and typed September and not even noticed it (corrected).  I got it on the day after Christmas.  I just have it for 3 days ... It was a big surprise because their site sent me an update when the impressions were in and another one with the shipment (nothing in between). 

Best,

Ricardo

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #70 of 1,149
  Darin,

I mistype the date .. I thought 26Th of December and typed September and not even noticed it (corrected).  I got it on the day after Christmas.  I just have it for 3 days ... It was a big surprise because their site sent me an update when the impressions were in and another one with the shipment (nothing in between). 

Best,

Ricardo

That's very funny Richardo.  You gave about 500 people a heart attack.  And maybe about 2000 more people uncontrolled jealousy pains.  I hope you are enjoying and loving your Roxanne's!!

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #71 of 1,149
I won't even pretend to understand the impedance curve of the Roxannes.  All I can say is that my 75 ohm adapter takes them from being very bright to something I perceive as closer to neutral.  But in the absence of measurements, this is all subjective guess work.  When others mention them being almost too detailed at times, I wonder if they're hearing too much amplitude around 7 Khz.  Few sonic qualities prompt one to turn the volume down more than sibilance.

If you want to hear how a "bump" at 7 Khz can make a recording punishing, increase that band with an equalizer.  Then listen to your music collection.  Eventually you'll find vocals in which the "s" & "t" sounds hurt.  

1/3/14 edit: The 75 Ohm adapter definitely does not make them more neutral.  It heavily rolls off the treble.  That said, I wonder if a 15 to 20 Ohm adapter might help make particularly sibilant recordings easier to listen to.  Presumably it would only roll the treble off a little bit.  My general reaction to the Roxanne's treble may simply be due to having listened to little other than the very smooth JH13s and notoriously dark LCD2 r1s for the past three years.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #72 of 1,149
  If you want to hear how a "bump" at 7 Khz can make a recording punishing, increase that band with an equalizer.  Then listen to your music collection.  Eventually you'll find vocals in which the "s" & "t" sounds hurt.  

I heard that too but I thought it was around the 12kHz. To me suitable DAP (or source/amp) pairing helped smooth that somewhat.

e.g. that was more emphasised with the Sony NW-ZX1 DAP than with the Hifiman HM-901 (OPA627 balanced module).

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #73 of 1,149

Cheers.

I would say that the treble I am hearing is pretty accurate to what I would expect, listening the Dire Straits "So Far away", "money for nothing" and "walk of life".  These are the tracks I listened to at CanJam with the demo sets and thought the treble was a little tizzy and unnatural.  I am listening to these on the same source (my Studio V 3rd).  Treble sounds very good, not tizzed out like it was on the demo. The drum hits sound about right, cymbals have a snap to them, can hear the rebound well.  Also the positioning is good.  I am hearing more cymbals than I am used to on "So far away" track.  specifically the hi-hat tap and clap.

On another note my customs do have some hiss on the studio V that I did not hear on the demos at CanJam, Can't hear it when music is playing except very slightly in quieter sections.
Maybe at CanJam it was there but I couldn't hear it due to the background noise?

Anyway hope that helps.

Oh, and I am REALLY liking the bass adjustment, kicking it up a notch for fun then dropping it down the next time around...heh
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #74 of 1,149
I did a quick frequency sweep with white noise and didn't hear any obvious bump.  Also, when listening to any newer recording, nothing seems spectrally amiss.  My own mixes sound fine too, even the ones mixed primarily on the notoriously dark LCD2 r1s.  I really want to see measurements for these things.

Given how dramatically darker they sound with my resistor, I wonder if they'll also vary hugely from amp to amp?  Switching from my Pico, to Leckerton, to Beta22, I just hear the expected upstream differences though.

It's also possible that they really are so detailed that I'm hearing bad EQing in old recordings that was smoothed over by lesser monitors.  That claim seems a bit fishy though.

Regardless of what I plug them into, or how I monkey with the signal upstream, the Roxannes have intoxicating detail retrieval.  Mython, I don't know what "organic" or "real" means to you, so I couldn't hazard a guess as to whether or not the Roxannes have it.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #75 of 1,149
I did a quick frequency sweep with white noise and didn't hear any obvious bump.  Also, when listening to any newer recording, nothing seems spectrally amiss.  My own mixes sound fine too, even the ones mixed primarily on the notoriously dark LCD2 r1s.  I really want to see measurements for these things.

Given how dramatically darker they sound with my resistor, I wonder if they'll also vary hugely from amp to amp?  Switching from my Pico, to Leckerton, to Beta22, I just hear the expected upstream differences though.

It's also possible that they really are so detailed that I'm hearing bad EQing in old recordings that was smoothed over by lesser monitors.  That claim seems a bit fishy though.

Regardless of what I plug them into, or how I monkey with the signal upstream, the Roxannes have intoxicating detail retrieval.  Mython, I don't know what "organic" or "real" means to you, so I couldn't hazard a guess as to whether or not the Roxannes have it.

Nice impressions, this is what I'm expecting/experienced as well with Roxanne when I demoed it. Just really can't wait to get them.

I love to hear details in my music. I want to hear it as the artist intended it to be. I suppose pairing this with a neutral, black background amp would be awesome.

Isn't "organic" most of the time used to describe tube amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back