JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #92 of 1,149
  Thanks. Looking forward to hearing this comparison. Caught my attention that Steve Guttenberg over at CNET preferred the 846 to CIEMs from folks like JH (think he has either the 13 or 16, not sure about Freq Phase or not). 

Haha! That's all I'll say :)

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #93 of 1,149
  Thanks. Looking forward to hearing this comparison. Caught my attention that Steve Guttenberg over at CNET preferred the 846 to CIEMs from folks like JH (think he has either the 13 or 16, not sure about Freq Phase or not). 

Steve has the JH13fp. He is very clear that the JH13fp has a U-shape tuning. He was very impressed by the 846. He also said that, from his brief time with them, the Roxanne had a different tuning than the JH13fp and JH16fp, which may be matching up with Anakchan's mention of the Roxanne having a mid-bass/lower mid emphasis. I'll certainly look forward to hearing the Roxanne soon.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #95 of 1,149
No disrespect to mr G. But I do not merit much he says at all. Nice man but I just cannot rap my head around his views .

Al. D

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #96 of 1,149
  Yeah, I was hoping that Steve would have a review of the 846 up somewhere, but I haven't come across one yet. 

Should be out soon, I imagine.

No disrespect to mr G. But I do not merit much he says at all. Nice man but I just cannot rap my head around his views .

Al. D

You're nice too, Al!

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #97 of 1,149
You too man . Now your somebody I can believe lol.
Happy new year and all the best to you and your family
Al d

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #99 of 1,149
As Mel Gibson's character, 'Porter', says, in the film 'Payback':

"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty..!"

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #100 of 1,149
Yea.
height

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #101 of 1,149
Awesome!

Oh, and I found the Steve Guttenberg Shure se846 review. http://www.head-fi.org/t/675219/shure-se846-appreciation-thread/570#post_10120772
Which I'm posting a link to the Shure 846 thread because it was asked about on this thread.

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #102 of 1,149
  Steve has the JH13fp. He is very clear that the JH13fp has a U-shape tuning. He was very impressed by the 846. He also said that, from his brief time with them, the Roxanne had a different tuning than the JH13fp and JH16fp, which may be matching up with Anakchan's mention of the Roxanne having a mid-bass/lower mid emphasis. I'll certainly look forward to hearing the Roxanne soon.

Steve has those UERM and 1964 V6 etc. He said this about the 13fp:

"The Freqphase delivers uber resolution/clarity, but it's still pretty easy to listen to with less than wonderful recordings. The UERM is a close contender, but the Freqphase exceeds it in terms of transparency, richer mids, and it's more fun to listen to. When I'm not reviewing an in-ear headphone the JH13 Freqphase is one of my everyday, go-to headphones. With this one the more you listen, the more you hear."

If he prefers the Shure, that's great but this description doesn't sound all that U shaped to me. I suspect he prefers a less apparent high end and more emphasized bottom which is cool. He was an original JH16 fan in the day and personally, I could never live with that much bass emphasis. I think your anti JH bias may be showing a bit. It's odd because one guy will say the 13 lacks warmth and the next like Currawong thinks they're too warm. Goes to show that these aren't absolutes. I need to hear the 846. Whenever I read about 'highly open' in an in-ear, I wonder a bit about phase. Not every recording is open sounding.

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #103 of 1,149
  Steve has those UERM and 1964 V6 etc. He said this about the 13fp:

"The Freqphase delivers uber resolution/clarity, but it's still pretty easy to listen to with less than wonderful recordings. The UERM is a close contender, but the Freqphase exceeds it in terms of transparency, richer mids, and it's more fun to listen to. When I'm not reviewing an in-ear headphone the JH13 Freqphase is one of my everyday, go-to headphones. With this one the more you listen, the more you hear."

If he prefers the Shure, that's great but this description doesn't sound all that U shaped to me. I suspect he prefers a less apparent high end and more emphasized bottom which is cool. He was an original JH16 fan in the day and personally, I could never live with that much bass emphasis. I think your anti JH bias may be showing a bit. It's odd because one guy will say the 13 lacks warmth and the next like Currawong thinks they're too warm. Goes to show that these aren't absolutes. I need to hear the 846. Whenever I read about 'highly open' in an in-ear, I wonder a bit about phase. Not every recording is open sounding.

Whoa, no need for personal attacks. Steve Guttenberg literally said the words "U-shaped" and made a U with his hands while talking to me, in person, about the JH13fp. This was at the last NY Audio meet. We ended up talking about different earphones at a couple of different times during the meet.

I never said they were bad or that U-shaped sounds are bad, that's all your implication, not mine. I spent two hours with the jh13fp and jh16fp demos and enjoyed them. There was no need to say I was biased simply for quoting someone accurately. I would appreciate an apology.

Let's get back to the Roxanne, which, as I said before, I am looking forward to hearing.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #104 of 1,149
  Whoa, no need for personal attacks. Steve Guttenberg literally said the words "U-shaped" and made a U with his hands while talking to me, in person, about the JH13fp. This was at the last NY Audio meet. We ended up talking about different earphones at a couple of different times during the meet.

I never said they were bad or that U-shaped sounds are bad, that's all your implication, not mine. I spent two hours with the jh13fp and jh16fp demos and enjoyed them. There was no need to say I was biased simply for quoting someone accurately. I would appreciate an apology.

Let's get back to the Roxanne, which, as I said before, I am looking forward to hearing.

- Indeed, enough with random anecdotes that are unrelated to the topic.
- JH3A? JH13? Aren't there separate threads for those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back