JH Audio Layla vs. JH Audio Roxanne
Jun 25, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #106 of 174
The fit is a weird thing, I couldn't get it at all to begin with, even as a seasoned IEM user, but now all of a sudden I get it right first time every time...

Happy days

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #108 of 174
JH16 was never really that great in the upper frequencies, and it's really apparent after listening to the Roxannes.  Roxanne's sound stage is much much more expansive, and I like the mids on the Roxannes better too.  I must say with a silver cable my Roxanne is end game, the particular one I added gave me a lot more impact and low bass, plus better treble extension and sparkle so I'm very happy now.  

Quote:
I have custom Roxy's and the Jh16 pro and the Roxy's blow the 16pro out of the water, it's not even close. When I listen to the 16 pro now it sounds cheap in comparison. Less clarity, muddy and a very closed soundstage.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #109 of 174
Finally, I've decided to get CIEM Roxanne after trying UIEM Roxanne and UIEM Layla.
Tho, my Layla is to my preference but I choose Roxanne.
I find Layla and Roxanne are pretty much the same but to me Layla is cleaner and clearer with not too much bass. (So, I think $1000 more will not worth getting Layla.)
Just like what people said in the thread, Layla is more flat, Roxanne is more fun.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #110 of 174
Good choice. Way to avoid the hype and mafia. The Layla's are over hyped and overpriced 
ph34r.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #111 of 174
I recently got the Layla and I'm on the fence. Every minute I listen to them they keep getting better but I keep being reassured the Angie is brighter and that's one thing the Layla isn't, is bright. It sounds amazing and exciting and layered like Ive never heard before but it still sounds like something missing and it'd gotta be the 2-4khz dip that's causing it.

I'd love to have a direct Angie and Layla comparison but right now that's rare.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #112 of 174
Don't tempt me to get the Angie, not sure which is the worse direction that comparison would go...

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #113 of 174
Wow reading through this thread it's pretty obvious some comments need to be taken at a discount. I really want to try Layla and Angie though!

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #114 of 174
I'm deciding between Roxanne and Layla CIEM as my first entry into high-end audio.

Given I play electronic drums, and my favorite genres of music are progressive metal (e.g. Dream Theater), vocal trance, and house (e.g. deadmau5), for those that have experience with both Roxanne and Layla, which would you recommend (price isn't an issue, but it doesn't hurt to save money either)?

It seems the major defining characteristic between the Roxanne and the Layla is the bass. How often do Roxanne users listen with the bass turned all the way up? How often do Layla users listen with the bass turned all the way up?

How does the soundstage and detail compare between Roxanne and Layla too?

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #115 of 174
  I'm deciding between Roxanne and Layla CIEM as my first entry into high-end audio.

Given I play electronic drums, and my favorite genres of music are progressive metal (e.g. Dream Theater), vocal trance, and house (e.g. deadmau5), for those that have experience with both Roxanne and Layla, which would you recommend (price isn't an issue, but it doesn't hurt to save money either)?

It seems the major defining characteristic between the Roxanne and the Layla is the bass. How often do Roxanne users listen with the bass turned all the way up? How often do Layla users listen with the bass turned all the way up?

I own CIEM Roxanne and UIEM Layla. I always prefer the sound of Layla more than Roxanne; however, I cannot wear Layla for a long period because my ears will start hurting. In terms of details, I would say Layla produces more details and clearer details than Roxanne (Sometimes Roxanne gets muddy). For the soundstage, I would say the different is noticeable but not my large margin. I listen to Roxanne at 7 o'clock as a reference iem but for my own pleasure listening I'll set it at 9 o'clock. For layla, 9 o'clock for reference, 12 o'clock for pleasure listening.

Hope it helps.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #116 of 174

I've owned both, and here's my two cents: Roxanne and Layla sound COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Roxanne is an extremely colored IEM, it's not neutral at all. You will either love it or hate it; I personally didn't like it. Note that I'm not saying they sound different because one is "better"; comparing detail/soundstage is silly because they have completely different sound signatures. Layla is neutral; Roxanne is not.

To me Roxanne is dark and muddy. Layla, however, is just freakin' incredible. If you haven't heard a non-Layla JH Audio IEM before, I highly recommend you listen to a universal first, because if you plunk the cash on a custom and hate the JH "house sound", you'll be screwed.

As an example --- and Jude's review of Roxanne makes the same point --- I doubt anyone listens to Roxanne with bass all the way up. It's too much, they sound terrible that way. Layla however you can do it, and might be a bit much but it's not crazy.

Lastly, I'll just say that I absolutely love the Layla. They are incredible.

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #117 of 174
Yeah Roxannes are definitely more mellow.  The detail is there but just not sticking out at you.  At times switching from other phones they can sound a bit congested.  But after using them for months now, I do find that they seem to have opened up.  I used to have to use a treble booster to bring out details, but now that I feel the treble boost makes the mids sound a little hollow, I like the overall sound more too.  Not sure what happened but it got better.  Or my ears changed.  Don't know.  

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #118 of 174
Roxanne is too coloured, Layla just sounds natural.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #119 of 174
Yeah I liked them when I heard them briefly. But I do like the roxanne sound after a while. It's a nice break from the highly resolved affair that's common nowadays. Very easy choice for daily drivers.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #120 of 174
For Roxanne, it took Me a while to break in to her to enjoy the sound signature. I still do demo some of the totl iems from various brands and do not feel the need for upgrades atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back