JH Audio Layla vs. JH Audio Roxanne
May 18, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #91 of 174
  Guys, 

Would like to check if the service at JH audio is any better, this is what a dealer from WACO in TX sent my aunt who inquired on my behalf. 

On Friday, May 15, 2015 8:57 AM, "joybastow@letstalkearz.com" <joybastow@letstalkearz.com> wrote:

Hello,
I hope you are well and thank you for contacting me. I would look at the UE7 of Ultimate Ears. 
I have UE, JH, and 1964's in demo so you can hear them. I do not have any new JH's because I am no longer selling their products due to their awful customer service to customers and dealers. I can only provide you with the ear impressions and services with JH. I am very sorry.
Joy Bastow

Ciao 
V

I would consider him a trustworthy dealer for dropping a terrible manufacturer because they give bad customer service. Good on him and his business. 

May 19, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #92 of 174

I would consider him a trustworthy dealer for dropping a terrible manufacturer because they give bad customer service. Good on him and his business. 

Don't know anything about the service and I have no experience, but I read a lot of posts from unsatisfied clients. Just wanted to check if they are better now.

Ciao 

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #94 of 174
Haven't heard the Layla's, but I don't think they sound dark. So, those or the Angie's should have a brighter sound.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #95 of 174
Haven't heard the Layla's, but I don't think they sound dark. So, those or the Angie's should have a brighter sound.
The fit is key on whether the Laylas are dark or not...

For me, I have to push the base of the housing further into my ear (lessen the angle of how the housing sits in my ear) to bring the treble out - if not, whilst by no means dark, it does seem like some of the treble is sucked out of the sound...

...I'm getting some new tips to play with though, so - will see how that goes...

...Oh, and if you haven't worked it out, this is with the universal, rather than custom Laylas, so - YMMV.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #96 of 174
I'd been using Shure se846's with an AK240, and have really enjoyed the combination.  But I took the plunge and ordered the Roxanne's, and it's pretty unbelievable how huge the sound stage, and as a semi-bass head, they're perfect for me.  I can't say enough about the ability to adjust the level of the bass output, and the tight full thumping that I would never have thought possible from IEM's.  So, good experience for me so far.  I love the Shure's, but I haven't been able to put away the Roxanne's.  Layla was never an option for me because the price point is simply too high.  But I couldn't be happier with these.  I listen to mostly rock and metal, and these are a dream.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #97 of 174
With extended listening, I cannot go back to the SE846, which isn't good for my wallet as I was hoping my experiment with the Layla would have left me ridiculing them for cost versus performance...

How silly does my empty wallet feel now!!

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #98 of 174
funny, I was half hoping I'd feel the same with the roxanne's and smugly send them back.....but alas, like you, there is no going  back, not after I've seen the other side (or heard, rather) lol......

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #100 of 174

That's good to know, not that I could have gotten the layla no matter how badly I may have wanted it.  But it sounds like the Roxanne was better suited for me.  I know I love them.  I don't know how the Roxanne's sound with the balanced cable.  But I'm not really after total neutrality anyway.  The hard thumping base is my favorite flavor.  But I bet Layla has unbelievable clarity and separation across the range.  

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #102 of 174
That's so weird, I compared the 16's to the Roxanne at an audio show and I actually thought the 16's were better than the Roxanne!  I thought the 16's played fuller, had more detail and were a little more crisp.  The Roxanne to me was a little dull and I kept trying to different tips (I know they weren't custom molds) but for the price difference I didn't think they were worth it.

I know the Shure sound is a love hate thing and most people seem to hate them on here but I have gone through 4 pairs (finally the 846) and I really like them.  Everybody has different tastes in sound so I am just posting my preference.  I was just posting b/c the original poster compared the 13s to the others which I think if he would have tried the 16s it would have been a little more fair.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #103 of 174
I have custom Roxy's and the Jh16 pro and the Roxy's blow the 16pro out of the water, it's not even close. When I listen to the 16 pro now it sounds cheap in comparison. Less clarity, muddy and a very closed soundstage.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #104 of 174
^ Agreed. I can't see how someone could say the 16 is better all around. But people say lots of things on these forums.

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #105 of 174
There's a possibility I might have not had the Rox's seated correctly but I kept trying diff. tips and nothing really seemed to change.  Like I said everyone hears things differently and it was just my impressions at the time.  But like I said I like Shures so that automatically puts me on the negative list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back