JH Audio JH-3A
Jan 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #1,876 of 2,681

Quote:
Are you really planning to carry the X3 + JH-3A in your pocket? :)
Quote:
Quote:
The FiiO X3 seems a good match for the JH-3A.
It can read FLAC, WAV, APE and most importantly it has a coaxial digital out so the JH-3A can be connected directly!
www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528916/the-fiio-x3-thread-upcoming-fiio-dap

It is still in development, shipping by Spring, maybe.

The X3 looks good, but I don't like the fact that all the buttons are on the face. It would make pocket control a bit difficult. Otherwise, it looks interesting.

I was talking about the DAP in general. Use with a JH-3A (or any amp that big) is a different story.

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #1,877 of 2,681
In my TWO pockets
biggrin.gif

According to this post the dimensions of the JH-3A are 12cmx8cmx3cm

An iPhone is 11.5x5.8x0.9.

So it is not small, but still transportable.
Quote:
Are you really planning to carry the X3 + JH-3A in your pocket? :)
Quote:
Quote:
The FiiO X3 seems a good match for the JH-3A.
It can read FLAC, WAV, APE and most importantly it has a coaxial digital out so the JH-3A can be connected directly!
www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528916/the-fiio-x3-thread-upcoming-fiio-dap

It is still in development, shipping by Spring, maybe.

The X3 looks good, but I don't like the fact that all the buttons are on the face. It would make pocket control a bit difficult. Otherwise, it looks interesting.

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #1,881 of 2,681

Quote:
WAV????  Really, you are going to play untagged WAV files?  Really?

Second, it does do that which is nice.  Nice.  That's about it.   There are plenty alternative portable sources that already give you that.  I agree that the iPod and its elk are the easiest to use and have the slickest interface but if you are reading this website on a daily basis, that's not your primary concern - audio quality is.

Third, you listed a bunch.  I will throw in a Hifiman.

The JH3A is not portable.  Its portable in the sense its easy to carry around but it doesn't run on batteries.   When you are going to have to run AC to power the JH3A at that point you are better off with a Netbook (almost the same price as an iPod Classic these days) or a higher end player (notebook, Hifiman, etc. etc.).

That's my 2 cents.  If you think running an iPod through a Solo through a JH-3A through a Twag is worth the money....more power to you...but to claim that its a funds issue when you are spending 2k on a JH-3A/JH16P combo...huh?

nice,you are paying nearly $2000 for a product and you dont know if it runs on battery or not.

you sound so ridiculous in your above post.i use my jh13 directly from ipod touch and listen to apple lossless and 320 mp3s and i dont hear a difference between the formats or atleast the difference is so small that it doesnt matter. if i upgrade to jh3a which i am seriously considering,i will use it with my ipod touch and use it as both home and portable device. just strap it together and put it in your pack or when you are travelling or on a long drive. i believe its not that a hassle.

by the way didnt you say you wont post again until you recieve the product?

honestly guys just wait,50 new posts today of crap.i thought it was shipped and there was an explosion of impressions...

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,882 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:
So, thinking positive anticipatory thoughts.....what kinds of sauces, I mean sources, have you got lined up for when your JH-3A lands on your front door (lets hope not literally!)?

For me 7th G iPod (lossless)-->Solo--JH-3A/16

Not too much of a highjack, I hope.....just trying to help us pass the time......and highten anticipation!

better get comfortable there buddy... (from the solo thread)

Guys, It seem that every time I open my mouth on the shipping date I dig a deeper hole for myself
confused_face%281%29.gif
So while I want to be as transparent as possible I have to wise up and preface that there are so many things that will and are going to effect the shipping date, all of the variable it seem I have zero control over. That being said I can say with a fair amount of certainty that they will ship out to customers the 2nd week of February.

Thank you

ken

Thank goodness I still have some fruitcake left and copious amounts of ale!  (Remember Trogdor's admonitions around Christmas time???)  

I really hope Ken is talking about February 2011!!!   (Just teasing, Ken!)

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #1,883 of 2,681
Just a note on size.
I know we are all used to tiny DAP's now but I remember a time when I wore one of these around to listen to music and thought it as wonderful to have something so small to carry around with me !
Not my picture but one I found on the net!

Oh how the times have changed..

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #1,884 of 2,681
Quote:

Seriously.  Every time I see someone complaining about how big and bulky some DAP or portable amp is it turns out to be tiny when I finally look up the measurements.  Then I have to wonder if the person complaining about it is a pixie or gnome or something...

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #1,885 of 2,681

Quote:
It is battery powered, just Trogdor spread some misinformation(same as with optical input)

I do apologize for confusing optical with coaxial.   I also didn't know it was battery powered.  Again I apologize for the misinformation.

I didn't see it on the website but apparently Canjam impressions say otherwise.

For the record, I said I would back the 2nd week of January posting, hopefully next week we will all have impressions.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #1,886 of 2,681

My first dap was about that size and shape (and colour). Can't remember what it was called (it was far eastern in origin) but it was based on a 3½" harddisk (can also not remember the capacity) and could play mp3 only. That was probably 10 years ago or even more.

Quote:
Just a note on size.
I know we are all used to tiny DAP's now but I remember a time when I wore one of these around to listen to music and thought it as wonderful to have something so small to carry around with me !
Not my picture but one I found on the net!

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #1,887 of 2,681
My first DAP was a Creative Nomad Jukebox...monster of an MP3 player :)  So yes, I'm fine with carying around a 'big' unit like the JH3a.  

It's actually kinda sad how the interface of a lot of newer 'audiophile' DAPs out there are actually not much more evolved than the on on this 10 year old player...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back