JH Audio JH-3A
Aug 31, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #902 of 2,681

Quote:
Getting a digital signal from a computer is fairly simple. If USB doesn't cut it, there are many items that will take an input of USB and output optical, coax, spdif, etc.

The only way to get a digital signal from an iTouch is to use that iTouch with the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo. The Solo will (hasn't been released yet) cost approximately $600.

If you input analogue sound, the JH-3A will convert that analogue signal into digital. Then it will do it's DSP, go through the DAC, through the amp, and out your headphones. It will not screw up the sound.

Unless you can sell your JH-3A to someone who is willing to remold it themselves (which usually requires a deep discount on the product), yes, you are "stuck" with the JH-3A. How I wish I was "stuck" with the JH-3A...

Alternatively, buy cheap player with digital out and save some money.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #904 of 2,681

Quote:
does the sansa clip plus have this?

Digital out?  Lol no.  But it is the greatest sounding DAP ever created or will ever be imagined.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #905 of 2,681

Quote:
because some people here sweat the small stuff way too much and have no understanding that new products particularly something like this can be delayed. Also not sure what everyone else was told but I was told some time in Sept when I pre ordered at CanJam.  You know how it goes they start talking then they are barraged when time better spent head down getting the 3a out.

I agree with this entirely, John, but it wasn't the point that I was making. My statement was in response to another member stating that they read on Facebook (or wherever) that JHA had lost a key member of it's design team, and this was going to cause unknown delays, but they were keeping it hush, hush. Why not be truthful with early investors and announce that there was going to be a delay. I would have no problem with that. But there should be no secrets when large amounts of money are laid out in advance.
When I asked Brittany about refunds at CanJam, she blatantly said that there would be "no refunds".
If a member's molds weren't made yet, and no money was invested on that person, then why isn't there an opportunity for refunds? It was as if they needed every cent that they could get to fund this project.
Even with the secrecy and delays of the HD800's, no one could really complain because they did not lay out any money until the product was ready to be
sent out.
Look, I've known the Harvey's since the 2006 National and have the highest respect for Jerry and what the family is doing by coloring outside of the lines
and innovating  incredible, cutting edge designs, I just got a bad feeling when I made this purchase. Sort of like, it was all about the money and not about 
making a living and being passionate about a hobby.
Without people like Jerry, we would still be stuck in certain innovation ruts, but, the "paying in advance", "no discount for early adopters buying something
based on trust, sight unseen", "the inability to back out if necessary" (not that I ever would, but I'm an audio psycho), and the secrecy of any delays, give me 
gut feelings that are less than desirable. Just my opinion. Take it any way you wish. But I feel that my points, at least some of them, have some validity.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #907 of 2,681

Quote:
I agree with this entirely, John, but it wasn't the point that I was making. My statement was in response to another member stating that they read on Facebook (or wherever) that JHA had lost a key member of it's design team, and this was going to cause unknown delays, but they were keeping it hush, hush. Why not be truthful with early investors and announce that there was going to be a delay. I would have no problem with that. But there should be no secrets when large amounts of money are laid out in advance.
When I asked Brittany about refunds at CanJam, she blatantly said that there would be "no refunds".
If a member's molds weren't made yet, and no money was invested on that person, then why isn't there an opportunity for refunds? It was as if they needed every cent that they could get to fund this project.
Even with the secrecy and delays of the HD800's, no one could really complain because they did not lay out any money until the product was ready to be
sent out.
Look, I've known the Harvey's since the 2006 National and have the highest respect for Jerry and what the family is doing by coloring outside of the lines
and innovating  incredible, cutting edge designs, I just got a bad feeling when I made this purchase. Sort of like, it was all about the money and not about 
Without people like Jerry, we would still be stuck in certain innovation ruts, but, the "paying in advance", "no discount for early adopters buying something
based on trust, sight unseen", "the inability to back out if necessary" (not that I ever would, but I'm an audio psycho), and the secrecy of any delays, give me 
gut feelings that are less than desirable. Just my opinion. Take it any way you wish. But I feel that my points, at least some of them, have some validity.

Watching this as I am from the side lines, waiting to see what peoples impressions are of this gear before plonking down my hard earned cash I would say this is a very balanced, fair way to look at the situation.

My line of work is about communication, clear communication through business and I have to say as much as I love folks who live outside of the box and JH certainly seem to be that way they really need to brush up on their communication skill set. Especially when folks have taken a huge leap of faith in the company and owner in investing a not incosiderable sum of money with no way out! They deserve much better treatment than this.

It was originally said that these units would be out by now and they are not, simple, clear communication would have sorted everything out!

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #909 of 2,681

Quote:
sent out.

Aaron its early and my coffee has not taken full effect but we do not share similar expectations. I do not think that failure to "share" they lost a member of the design team as not being truthful. There are countless things that occur during a products R & D cycle and I do not expect a blow by blow account of them particularly when the product is not late as of yet. I think we were told September and I would not expect a notice of delay until they know they will not come to market this month. Additionally while this rumor may be true it also may be false and I do not expect Jerry and company to explain this to me as a customer. I simply expect a product equal to or greater than what I heard in Chicago. If they are a month off the target I'm not going to sweat that as life is to short but others mileage may vary.

Sennheiser and JH audio are vastly different as companies and I would expect them to have different capitalization needs. Not unike the difference between BMW and Tesla they are both top flight but are very different companies.

I do not think your points are not valid I just think that JH does not owe anyone an explanation about anything on Sept 1st.

With regard to the "all about the money" feeling. it is your feeling so no one can validate or invalidate it but just 5 minutes in conversation with Jerry  informs you otherwise. I think you know that Jerry is the creative side and Britt is the financial side. I would expect when talking with Jerry you'd walk away giddy high on his creative enthusiam and with Britt you'll walk away with a clear understanding of your transaction. They play different roles in the company, I am happy Britt stated the "no refund" up front as it creates clear understanding. If you had a "bad feeling" about your purchase you maybe should not have made it, perhaps you can sell your place in line
evil_smiley.gif

So we probably agree more than we disagree on this, heck I still have to oder my spidf cable for digital input on the DSP/Amp.

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #910 of 2,681

Quote:

It was originally said that these units would be out by now and they are not, simple, clear communication would have sorted everything out!

Where was it stated that they would be released not later that September 1st, I was there in Chicago and was clearly told sometime in September with an outside chance of early delivery. I walked away clearly understandin that Sept was the target month for delivery.

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #911 of 2,681
I haven't ordered this product myself, or have any interest in doing so, but my comment on reading the above few posts would be as follows:
- if you have paid money up-front for something based on a projected delivery date, you should have every right to claim your money back at any stage prior to despatch.  Financial situations change and any fairminded company should take this into consideration, especially in these beleagured times.
- Presumably, email contact details of those signing up for the product were taken when the money was given over. It would require very little effort to send bulk emails to such customers keeping them informed at each stage of the development, including information on any slippages of launch, etc. This is the basic rule of customer service: put the customer first.  The option of refunds should have been made explicit in each of these communications.   These mass mailings could also be used to offer loyalty discounts for existing products.
- Holding deposits should ideally have been taken to secure orders that far in advance, not the full amount. The deposit could have been non-refundable then, rather than insisting on a full 'no refund' policy.  It is not too late to still do that - refund the bulk of the cash and hold onto a security bond for the order.
- At the very least, late deliveries due to internal issues of more than 2 weeks should be recognised by JHA as a failure of sorts on their end and some form of gift or discount shouldn be offered accordingly, even if in the form of money off future purchases.

These are solid business practises, regardless of size of organisation, and its disappointing to read that such a well respected, albeit family-based company is acting this way.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #912 of 2,681
I'm following with interest, so I'll add my .02. I agree with JP#'s. If what was communicated at Can Jam was a September release, then everyone needs to take a deep breath and relax. It's 9/1. They do not need to disclose any process, time-line, staff changes or anything else to anyone outside of JH Audio unless the units are late or do not sound as good as was previously heard. Neither of which is true yet at this time.
On the deal with refunds, because I did not order one, I do not know this first hand, but, if indeed you were told as a customer, "no refunds once you order, period" why would you expect a refund, ever?
I would assume Britt keeps a tight refund policy here so that people are not ordering by the seat of thier pants, all excited, then say to themselves, "oh no, I didn't think this through, I ordered a system that may be almost unsellable, and is very expensive. I need a way to back out of this..." It keeps her product line numbers easier to manage and takes any guess work out of having to deal with someone whining because they didn't think through the implications on a 1k or 2k order. Anyway, as you were and I look forward to hearing the impressions and such... 

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #913 of 2,681

Quote:
Where was it stated that they would be released not later that September 1st, I was there in Chicago and was clearly told sometime in September with an outside chance of early delivery. I walked away clearly understandin that Sept was the target month for delivery.

It was widely reported by members here who had placed an order that expected delivery would be late August, just check earlier postings and you will see many inferences of such.
I think the point is that maybe for some the amount of money payed up front is not a large sum so folks would not be too concerned. I feel though that the amount is in fact a very substantial amount for most, especially for headphones and amp and thus is a large investement of trust on their part..It just seems that a simple mass email as has been stated by Benny would have been an easy and nice thing to do!

I do not doubt the creative owners enthusiasm for his product, I think the finacial boss (Brittany) though could be doing a better job of managing this.

I am sure however that once the units start shipping most of this debate will be forgotten and the sonic qualities will take over. I guess I find Brittany's attitude a little Cavalier when it comes to other peoples money that she holds in trust. If you do not feel the same way that is fine, each to their own and that is why there are forums to gain a balance of perspective to create informed discussion.

Of course my feelings are not based on solid evidence due to the lack of communication from the person in charge of that at JH Audio and as a potential customer I follow how they deal with this with great interest as for me the sum involved will be a considerble outlay for headphones!

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #914 of 2,681

Quote:
According to Jerry, it has not shipped out yet.  :frowning2:
Jerry really does email back fast.  :)

Sorry.  Don't mean to stir everyone up.  Since writing to sling5s a back and forth a few times, I am now suspecting it is something else which Brittany has said they will ship with the JH-3a.  I am not able to confirmed with anyone at JH.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #915 of 2,681

Quote:
I'm following with interest, so I'll add my .02. I agree with JP#'s. If what was communicated at Can Jam was a September release, then everyone needs to take a deep breath and relax. It's 9/1. They do not need to disclose any process, time-line, staff changes or anything else to anyone outside of JH Audio unless the units are late or do not sound as good as was previously heard. Neither of which is true yet at this time.
On the deal with refunds, because I did not order one, I do not know this first hand, but, if indeed you were told as a customer, "no refunds once you order, period" why would you expect a refund, ever?
I would assume Britt keeps a tight refund policy here so that people are not ordering by the seat of thier pants, all excited, then say to themselves, "oh no, I didn't think this through, I ordered a system that may be almost unsellable, and is very expensive. I need a way to back out of this..." It keeps her product line numbers easier to manage and takes any guess work out of having to deal with someone whining because they didn't think through the implications on a 1k or 2k order. Anyway, as you were and I look forward to hearing the impressions and such... 

I agree 100% with you now.

I will agree with Aaron 100% on October 1st (unless JHA send emails to all paying customers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back