JH Audio JH-3A
Aug 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #886 of 2,681

Quote:
wow! im about 20 pages into this thread and im drooling.. i really think im gonna pull the trigger on the jh3a.. it does make me nervous to know that better and mainly, smaller models may follow, but I imagine JH will at LEAST make it possible to upgrade to a new amp without buying the whole package again

one person quoted JH from canjam as saying the following - and i think this is the coolest idea EVER!  that would mean we could make the frequency response flat no matter which source we used. - or at least dang close!  SO COOL!

We plan on putting software and xover upgrades on the site to
download. Also we want do a Block of 5 stereo bands of parametric EQ
for the end user to have if they would want to tweak the audio for
their taste.

This is an amazing idea! But how would it work? Will there be controls for EQ on the DAC/Amp?

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #887 of 2,681

Quote:
This is an amazing idea! But how would it work? Will there be controls for EQ on the DAC/Amp?

my interpertation is that you would hook the amp to your computer via usb and sort of program it with your computer...but now that i read it again, i gues all he really says is "a block" and i have no idea what that means, guess we'll see... regardless i REALLY like the concept.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #888 of 2,681
" Brittany mentioned that it was 98% done on another thread".  What other thread are you referring to might I ask?   

Quote:

You make some valid points....HOWEVER I will say this since I know JHAudio is listening (reading)....

If you are going to delay, delay BIG.  Don't string everyone along and say its next week, no its the week after that, no, no its 2 weeks from now etc....I rather them say Christmas and know they are going to deliver a fully QA'ed product. 

Brittany mentioned that it was 98% done on another thread I think so my guess is late September seems plausible and I am perfectly happy with that timeline.  JHAudio is typically one of the best in the biz when it comes to customer service (they are small so you have to be patient but when you get their attention they always strive to make it right).

Also bare in mind, I paid a little under 2k months ago UPFRONT.  Normally people don't sweat the small stuff when you pre-order because your cash hasn't been taken from you.  Remember that.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #890 of 2,681
converting even a very large library from alac to flac or vise versa and maintaining art and tags is actually quite quick and easy.. i have done this on multiple occasions.. either foobar, or dang i forgot the name of the other one, will do this.

Quote:
Regarding the [size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]AlgoRhythm Solo, what good is it if the I-devices it is intended to be used with don't play FLAC? Am I expected to convert my entire library to ALAC?[/size][/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]Where is the SPDIF input on the JH-3A? I only see a 3.5mm input.[/size][/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]Currently my portable and my only rig is a Westone 3 with UM56 eartips straight out of a Cowon S9. [/size][/size][/size]The only other IEM's I've had in the past are Etymotic ER6i's.

[size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]Will the jump from my setup to the best portable combo possible (I-device, ALAC, [/size][/size][/size][size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]AlgoRhythm [/size][/size][/size][size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]Solo, JH-3A, JH-16)[/size][/size][/size] be as significant as the jump from ER6i to Westone 3 with UM56? Because that was a pretty damn significant jump. Except this jump costs 10x more than the last.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #891 of 2,681

Quote:
converting even a very large library from alac to flac or vise versa and maintaining art and tags is actually quite quick and easy.. i have done this on multiple occasions.. either foobar, or dang i forgot the name of the other one, will do this.

dbpoweramp?

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #894 of 2,681
well, i think im sold, im going to sell my ortho rig and go for the JH3A.  now to arrange the audiologist appointment.

i do have a question.  im sorry if this is being discussed and i just dont get it, or if i just missed it... i made it through about 30 posts and i couldnt read anymore.

im trying to figure out how i will use this thing
A. with my ipod touch
B. with my computer

so .. ok computer is easy enough.. if they do usb, that settles it.  if not.. how do i go from my computer to the jh3a and stil bypass the computers built in dac (i would be going from my computers built in sound card)..
it has a 1/8 out, and a spdif optical out

with the touch, i suppose you use an lod, but doesnt that still make it go through the ipod built in dac? i never understood how this works.. and if it does go through the ipod dac, and the JH3A dac, isnt that a bad thing? doesnt it mess up the sound?

also.. from what im reading on the jh site,facebook, and on this thread, it just doesnt seem feasable that you could sell this rig to anyone.. mainly b/c JH doesnt seem to reshell their own IEM's, which is just odd to me, and i cant imagine another company could reshell the JH3A and get it right..  so are you really stuck with this thing for ever? - yes i realize stuck isnt the best choice of words, but you get the idea

thanks

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #895 of 2,681
I got tracking number from JH. I hope it's the JH-3A.

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #898 of 2,681

Quote:
well, i think im sold, im going to sell my ortho rig and go for the JH3A.  now to arrange the audiologist appointment.

i do have a question.  im sorry if this is being discussed and i just dont get it, or if i just missed it... i made it through about 30 posts and i couldnt read anymore.

im trying to figure out how i will use this thing
A. with my ipod touch
B. with my computer

so .. ok computer is easy enough.. if they do usb, that settles it.  if not.. how do i go from my computer to the jh3a and stil bypass the computers built in dac (i would be going from my computers built in sound card)..
it has a 1/8 out, and a spdif optical out

with the touch, i suppose you use an lod, but doesnt that still make it go through the ipod built in dac? i never understood how this works.. and if it does go through the ipod dac, and the JH3A dac, isnt that a bad thing? doesnt it mess up the sound?

also.. from what im reading on the jh site,facebook, and on this thread, it just doesnt seem feasable that you could sell this rig to anyone.. mainly b/c JH doesnt seem to reshell their own IEM's, which is just odd to me, and i cant imagine another company could reshell the JH3A and get it right..  so are you really stuck with this thing for ever? - yes i realize stuck isnt the best choice of words, but you get the idea

thanks

Getting a digital signal from a computer is fairly simple. If USB doesn't cut it, there are many items that will take an input of USB and output optical, coax, spdif, etc.

The only way to get a digital signal from an iTouch is to use that iTouch with the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo. The Solo will (hasn't been released yet) cost approximately $600.

If you input analogue sound, the JH-3A will convert that analogue signal into digital. Then it will do it's DSP, go through the DAC, through the amp, and out your headphones. It will not screw up the sound.

Unless you can sell your JH-3A to someone who is willing to remold it themselves (which usually requires a deep discount on the product), yes, you are "stuck" with the JH-3A. How I wish I was "stuck" with the JH-3A...

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #900 of 2,681

Quote:
Getting a digital signal from a computer is fairly simple. If USB doesn't cut it, there are many items that will take an input of USB and output optical, coax, spdif, etc.

The only way to get a digital signal from an iTouch is to use that iTouch with the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo. The Solo will (hasn't been released yet) cost approximately $600.

If you input analogue sound, the JH-3A will convert that analogue signal into digital. Then it will do it's DSP, go through the DAC, through the amp, and out your headphones. It will not screw up the sound.

Unless you can sell your JH-3A to someone who is willing to remold it themselves (which usually requires a deep discount on the product), yes, you are "stuck" with the JH-3A. How I wish I was "stuck" with the JH-3A...

I use the M2Tech Hiface which has so far performed wonderfully (minus some driver stability issues if you are MBP user).  As violinvirtuoso stated, you should have no problems getting output tfrom a notebook to the 3A.

I believe the USB output will only be 16/44.1kHz though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back