JH Audio JH-3A
Sep 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #919 of 2,681

Quote:
Aaron its early and my coffee has not taken full effect but we do not share similar expectations. I do not think that failure to "share" they lost a member of the design team as not being truthful. There are countless things that occur during a products R & D cycle and I do not expect a blow by blow account of them particularly when the product is not late as of yet. I think we were told September and I would not expect a notice of delay until they know they will not come to market this month. Additionally while this rumor may be true it also may be false and I do not expect Jerry and company to explain this to me as a customer. I simply expect a product equal to or greater than what I heard in Chicago. If they are a month off the target I'm not going to sweat that as life is to short but others mileage may vary.

Sennheiser and JH audio are vastly different as companies and I would expect them to have different capitalization needs. Not unike the difference between BMW and Tesla they are both top flight but are very different companies.

I do not think your points are not valid I just think that JH does not owe anyone an explanation about anything on Sept 1st.

With regard to the "all about the money" feeling. it is your feeling so no one can validate or invalidate it but just 5 minutes in conversation with Jerry  informs you otherwise. I think you know that Jerry is the creative side and Britt is the financial side. I would expect when talking with Jerry you'd walk away giddy high on his creative enthusiam and with Britt you'll walk away with a clear understanding of your transaction. They play different roles in the company, I am happy Britt stated the "no refund" up front as it creates clear understanding. If you had a "bad feeling" about your purchase you maybe should not have made it, perhaps you can sell your place in line
evil_smiley.gif

So we probably agree more than we disagree on this, heck I still have to oder my spidf cable for digital input on the DSP/Amp.

My good friend John, I have to say for the second time, "it wasn't the point that I was making". I never said that I expected to be informed about the internal happenings at JH Audio. That is their business, and I don't need it to be mine.
What I did say was, that when the member stated that JH had lost a member of the team, and it was going to push back the expected date of launch, and JHA wanted to keep the delay hush, hush, that bothered me. 
I'm not into internal politics, I just want truth in advertising, and if the launch date is going to run a little longer than expected (as with most ground-breaking electronic component launches), that's perfectly fine with me. I too, want it to be launched when it's good and ready. What got me, was the "hush, hush" statement. Let us know, and we can then change our expectations.
I'm in no rush. I enjoy a certain part of each and every one of my days, with either a UE-10 or a JH-13 on my head. These products have made my overall audio experience, a much better travel. However, if things are going to be held up longer than expected, just let me know. As stated previously, a mass e-mail, to all investors, would take 10 minutes. The worst thing a company can do (besides make a lousy product), is to keep it's customers out of the loop. If I got an e-mail today, that said, "Due to some innovations that we are working on"...or "as soon as our chip supplier provides us with"..." we estimate that deliveries will now be mid-November, although we will try to make it happen faster", than I would be fine.

I was told "mid-August", just for the record. I'm not sure where september came from.

21 years at Xerox taught me at least one important thing. When a customer calls for a broken machine, they know that you are not going to knock on their door as soon as they hang up the phone. They would rather hear an ETA that's longer than they wish, or that meets their business needs, then get no call at all.
Time and time again, customers reported back to us, that an ETA (and if that can't be obtained, a re-negotiated ETA) was the most important thing to them, running second to actually having their machine fixed.

On the money front, it is dead on, that Jerry is the passionate builder and audio enthusiast, and Britt is the the business part of the company. And that's good. Every company needs that. Passion alone doesn't pay the bills. But I received the "there are no refunds comment" it was after I wrote the check.I would never want one, but I felt a chill run down my spine, when those words were spoken to me and I don't understand (unless the money is needed to fund the project) why the "no-refund" policy is in effect, if no money is spent in making a person's specific product. In our community, how many other companies do that.
If I were holding another National Meet (hint, hint), and 6 months before the meet, a vendor wanted to back out, would it be right for me not to give them their money back? Nuh uh.

Again, I love Jerry and family, and their products offer me immense amounts of pleasure. But lack of communication with people who have given them $1600, and quelling the realities ofan estimated push back, are things that I disagree with.

Also, what company doesn't give some kind of discount when a purchase is made at CanJam. Even $50 to their loyal supporters. That's not commonplace at our events, but it is certainly within anyone's rights. But it does go a long way. That's what initiated so many sales of the 13 at Canjam '09.

*EDIT* Sorry about the broken sentences. Something is going on with what I write on my Macbook Pro and what is actually being laid down in print. 
confused_face_2.gif
 It must be a WYSIWYG thing.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #920 of 2,681
well, i just called my audiologist. He has experience with IEM molds and was very confident and trustworthy. he was also great to talk to.
he said he cant do cotton tips (dams as they call them)  like JH asks because its too risky.  he wants to use foam which JH says can tear, but he says the impressions he will make will be so deep that he could remove the foam and it wouldnt matter. 

anyone else have any experiences like this?

I emailed JH to ask if foam would be ok even though they dont recommend it.   if i get the go ahead, its time to sell my rig.. the excitement is mounting!!!

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #921 of 2,681

Quote:
I was told "mid-August", just for the record. I'm not sure where september came from.

The understanding I left CanJam with was that the end of August was a very optimistic target. Which basically meant to me, "prolly september."

I'm not too worked up. 'Long as they deliver the product I expect in September, I'm happy.

The whole "No refunds" thing is just weird... But like immtbiker, I knew what I was doing anyway.

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #922 of 2,681

Quote:
well, i just called my audiologist. He has experience with IEM molds and was very confident and trustworthy. he was also great to talk to.
he said he cant do cotton tips (dams as they call them)  like JH asks because its too risky.  he wants to use foam which JH says can tear, but he says the impressions he will make will be so deep that he could remove the foam and it wouldnt matter. 

The whole idea of the cotton tip/foam dams, is so that when then Mold the IEM's specifically to fit your ear, the tip won't touch the end (or beginning for the optimists) of your ear canal.
That wouldn't be very much fun. If it tears, JHA won't be able to size you properly.

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #923 of 2,681
I've seen the foam tips done properly by an amateur.  The audiologist is right, going deep enough will more than compensate, no way anyone will do a custom that goes that deep.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #924 of 2,681

Quote:

anyone else have any experiences like this?

I emailed JH to ask if foam would be ok even though they dont recommend it.   if i get the go ahead, its time to sell my rig.. the excitement is mounting!!!

I was only able to get the foam tips and was worried too. However I asked Jerry and he said it was ok. When I got the customs they fitted great.
You'll be fine if he goes deep.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #925 of 2,681

Quote:
I was only able to get the foam tips and was worried too. However I asked Jerry and he said it was ok. When I got the customs they fitted great.
You'll be fine if he goes deep.

I emailed JH and they promptly responded and said the foam would be fine... one step closer... boy this is a tough decision.

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #926 of 2,681
Getting married, is a tough decision. Ordering a great pair of headphones, is not 
smile.gif

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #927 of 2,681
well, when you have no income and have spent months selling all your possesions to save up for this one nice thing, and then decide you might sell the entire rig for another rig that may very well be impossible to resell, having never heard it, and when its not even released yet... yes, it is a tough decision. 
wink_face.gif

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #928 of 2,681

Quote:
Getting married, is a tough decision. Ordering a great pair of headphones, is not 
smile.gif

Quote:
well, when you have no income and have spent months selling all your possesions to save up for this one nice thing, and then decide you might sell the entire rig for another rig that may very well be impossible to resell, having never heard it, and when its not even released yet... yes, it is a tough decision. 
wink_face.gif

I think you are more like the normal customer than the other type where a purchase like this is a mere whim. I know it is a serious investment for me and so I am taking my time making sure it is the right one as well!

Sep 2, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #929 of 2,681

Quote:
wink_face.gif

I didn't mean to minimize your situation, just add a little levity to it.

Most of us "old timers" knows what it's like to eat Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, and Cup of Noodles, three times a day, but rest assured, as a person gets older and has a solid living it gets better. Even with all of the bills and responsibilities of getting through your mid-20's to your mid '30's, eventually, you will be able to be a little less frugal with your purchases. You have to earn your licks.

Heck, I had to leave my first wife to really start to enjoy my "thrill of the chases".

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #930 of 2,681

Quote:

I didn't mean to minimize your situation, just add a little levity to it.

Most of us "old timers" knows what it's like to eat Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, and Cup of Noodles, three times a day, but rest assured, as a person gets older and has a solid living it gets better. Even with all of the bills and responsibilities of getting through your mid-20's to your mid '30's, eventually, you will be able to be a little less frugal with your purchases. You have to earn your licks.

Heck, I had to leave my first wife to really start to enjoy my "thrill of the chases".

i didnt take offense to what you said.. just sharing another perspective.. I'm a full time volunteer, and have been for nearly seven years, so procuring and spending money for me occasionally takes some pondering beforehand.

that said ive sent a round of questions to JH and once i hear back, i should be making my move to sell my rig and purchase the JH3A.  Ill post any relevant / interesting answers i get. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back