JH Audio JH-3A
Sep 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #931 of 2,681

Quote:
Getting married, is a tough decision. Ordering a great pair of headphones, is not 
smile.gif

I know this has been partially answered by you in previous and subsequent posts as that you were kind of joking, but I believe this kind of thinking is exactly why Britt has “no-refunds policy”. I’m not trying to start something, I’m just saying.

edit: for clarification, I'm not speaking about any direct comments made by immtbiker. He has made himself very clear and I agree with some of his points. I'm commenting more just on this type of general thought process quoted above and of having a very expensive purchase done quickly and then wanting to back out for the refund, that's all... 

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #932 of 2,681

Quote:
 I'm commenting more just on this type of general thought process quoted above and of having a very expensive purchase done quickly and then wanting to back out for the refund, that's all... 

This is sort of the buyers right. Yes, the manufacturer can lay any demands that they want, but my question is, "why"?

I agree with you on most counts, but many of our vendors sell $1k+ products, and allow you to
back out pre-shipment, if the need arises.

Heck, lot's of vendors (TTVJ, Head-Direct, Headroom, etc.) allow you to back out within 30 days after purchase if you are unhappy with the product. This way, there is no risk to the buyer who takes the plunge.
I wouldn't expect any company to refund money for a product that is customized, but I was referring to a return that is requested before any work is actually done on the product.

I would never exercise this option because this product is going to be tops in my stable, but why
the restraint? It's unorthodox in the audio business.

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #933 of 2,681

Quote:

Quote:
 I'm commenting more just on this type of general thought process quoted above and of having a very expensive purchase done quickly and then wanting to back out for the refund, that's all... 

This is sort of the buyers right. Yes, the manufacturer can lay any demands that they want, but my question is, "why"?

I agree with you on most counts, but many of our vendors sell $1k+ products, and allow you to
back out pre-shipment, if the need arises.

Heck, lot's of vendors (TTVJ, Head-Direct, Headroom, etc.) allow you to back out within 30 days after purchase if you are unhappy with the product. This way, there is no risk to the buyer who takes the plunge.
I wouldn't expect any company to refund money for a product that is customized, but I was referring to a return that is requested before any work is actually done on the product.

I would never exercise this option because this product is going to be tops in my stable, but why
the restraint? It's unorthodox in the audio business.

I don't want to sound like a JH apologist, but the biggest differnce I see between the above examples and JH is that JH is indeed a custom made product made for one person only. I think the custom aspect mentioned above plays a big part. I also think Britt may have drawn a line in the sand that potential buyers know they can't back out and she has less BS to deal with when peeps get cold feet. It's much easier to have a 'ruling' for refunds on a set policy. Do the people who ordered know that they can't back out once they ordered? If so, well, enough said, I think. If all of sudden the return/refund policy is a surprise (like I guess it was for yourself) then it's a different conversation. Anyway, I just think people should think before they order. Also, its easy on these boards, becuase they have such a presence, to forget JH is still a small company and profit margins and inventory is most likely closely monitored. Anyway... Looking forward to everyone's sonic impressions..
beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #934 of 2,681
Honestly, for me, it wasn't a surprise (except for the actual action). But I did hear it from her, after handing her one of my cobwebed checks that has been sitting in my wallet for years for emergencies.

This, my friends, was an audio emergency and will provide CPR to my entire being for years to come.

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #936 of 2,681

Quote:
Honestly, for me, it wasn't a surprise (except for the actual action). But I did hear it from her, after handing her one of my cobwebed checks that has been sitting in my wallet for years for emergencies.

This, my friends, was an audio emergency and will provide CPR to my entire being for years to come.

Aaron, I am personally relying on your ears which is why I did sell my current setup and have waited eagerly for a new stratosphere of sonic performance...we shall see...I like you met Jerry in 2006 when you were a big part of the NYCJ...and he knows his stuff.  I even asked him a question during the round table (if anyone remembers it was after Edwood asked (I think it was Ed) a question that took 10 minutes to spit out....).

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #937 of 2,681
I think that they deal with the customer service stuff so much, trying to get fits right for us picky head-fiers that the refund policy is just one less thing to hassle.  Also as a small company they may depend on that money for development costs so they are using it while we wait.  If you don't like the policy then don't take the jump, but it should have been told to Aaron before he coughed up the cash anyway.  All that said, as a kid my parents put up money on a condo project in Hawaii to fund the construction....kinda a preorder, and got a lower price.  Generally I would think this would be a good idea for people funding development of a product but then again, if you don't like the policy you don't have to bite.  

I finally got my 13s to fit right and got them back after months of waiting/reimpression/refit/ talking to Jerry(who is very cool i must say) and i am not even close to sending them back or getting the 16s with the JH-3A until i settle in with them and build a bit of money to buy it instead of credit carding it.  So I won't be one of the project funders, I'll leave that to you guys.
wink_face.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #938 of 2,681

Quote:
I don't want to sound like a JH apologist, but the biggest differnce I see between the above examples and JH is that JH is indeed a custom made product made for one person only. I think the custom aspect mentioned above plays a big part. I also think Britt may have drawn a line in the sand that potential buyers know they can't back out and she has less BS to deal with when peeps get cold feet. It's much easier to have a 'ruling' for refunds on a set policy. Do the people who ordered know that they can't back out once they ordered? If so, well, enough said, I think. If all of sudden the return/refund policy is a surprise (like I guess it was for yourself) then it's a different conversation. Anyway, I just think people should think before they order. Also, its easy on these boards, becuase they have such a presence, to forget JH is still a small company and profit margins and inventory is most likely closely monitored. Anyway... Looking forward to everyone's sonic impressions..
beerchug.gif

I fully agree with you on all points. However  the JH-3A is not a product that has started to ship. We do not even know if there is a fully functioning unit yet. I can see if your headphones were in the lab and being made, but at this point that could still be several weeks away. I think in this case a little latitude might be given. Why would a company want you to own something you no longer wanted?

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #939 of 2,681
please bear with me im thoroughly confused no matter how much i read about this thing

first of all can someone post a photo or link to  what type of cable this thing takes as an input.. 1/8" obvioulsy, but i dont understand  how you would plug spdif into this thing?  how would it fit... again im stumped and this is probably a dump question

also

where exactly did we get the info that this thing has a built in DAC? and what do we know about it. i dont see it anywhere in the specs.. again maybe im just not knowlegable it its right in my face..

thanks

Sep 4, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #940 of 2,681

Quote:
please bear with me im thoroughly confused no matter how much i read about this thing

first of all can someone post a photo or link to  what type of cable this thing takes as an input.. 1/8" obvioulsy, but i dont understand  how you would plug spdif into this thing?  how would it fit... again im stumped and this is probably a dump question

also

where exactly did we get the info that this thing has a built in DAC? and what do we know about it. i dont see it anywhere in the specs.. again maybe im just not knowlegable it its right in my face..

thanks

There are two main reasons there has to be a built-in DAC.

1: The JH-3A can take an input of digital. If there was no DAC, it would output digital. Headphones can't handle digital, it has to be in analogue.

2: All the bass-adjustment and volume control is done digitally. Here's a quote from JH Audio's website:

1. Digitally Controlled Volume Level
  2. Digitally Controlled Variable Bass Output - 0dB to + 12dB Boost
  3. 32-bit DSP Resolution

FYI: DSP stands for Digital signal processing. So after it gets done with the DSP, it has to be converted to analogue for the headphones to play it.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #942 of 2,681

You will use just any coaxial cable with 3,5mm jack, like this http://www.svensound.cz/av-a-digitalni-kabely-metraz-i-hotove/trico-mp-rca-1m-kus-

Quote:

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 5, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #944 of 2,681
I'm assuming that it is a combi 1/8" female plug like you get on some pc's and many older Sony pcdp's so it will accept both analouge and optical in the same plug

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #945 of 2,681

Quote:
I'm assuming that it is a combi 1/8" female plug like you get on some pc's and many older Sony pcdp's so it will accept both analouge and optical in the same plug

I was not at CanJam but all the reports I have heard say yes, it will have a mini-USB input and a analog/optical input (same plug).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back