JH Audio JH-3A
Aug 27, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #872 of 2,681
Yea, I watched a demo video on this thing last night when violinvirtuoso posted. Nifty lil device for sure, but I don't think I should need to run an Intel PC with a full OS just to listen to music. I desperately want an Android device with the ability to drive a usb dac. Like my phone. Holy crap that would rock.

I'm not enticed by the heat and energy requirements of a device like the Viliv. I'm looking forward to similar products.

But yeah, I'm assuming it was suggested for its ability to act as a usb host. Surely it could run any usb dac just fine. But yeah, you're not going to drive the JH3A higher than 16/44 with that, of course.

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #873 of 2,681

Quote:
Yea, I watched a demo video on this thing last night when violinvirtuoso posted. Nifty lil device for sure, but I don't think I should need to run an Intel PC with a full OS just to listen to music. I desperately want an Android device with the ability to drive a usb dac. Like my phone. Holy crap that would rock.

I'm not enticed by the heat and energy requirements of a device like the Viliv. I'm looking forward to similar products.

But yeah, I'm assuming it was suggested for its ability to act as a usb host. Surely it could run any usb dac just fine. But yeah, you're not going to drive the JH3A higher than 16/44 with that, of course.

I wonder has anyone shown that the Iphone4 works with the camera connection kit to drive USB? I have an Ipad but wanted the convenience of the Iphone4.

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #874 of 2,681
I heard apple rumors that they are working on it: iphone4 to work with camera connection kit.  Hope next big os4 update.

Quote:
I wonder has anyone shown that the Iphone4 works with the camera connection kit to drive USB? I have an Ipad but wanted the convenience of the Iphone4.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #877 of 2,681

Quote:
btw, how do they demo the jh's since they are usually custom fit? 

Custom IEM manufacturers, basically make a demo model of their custom IEMs. They essentially take the drivers and shove them into a universal casing. It won't give you the same sound as the custom, but it will give you a general idea. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #878 of 2,681

Quote:
Custom IEM manufacturers, basically make a demo model of their custom IEMs. They essentially take the drivers and shove them into a universal casing. It won't give you the same sound as the custom, but it will give you a general idea. 

Agreed - the real custom always sounds different than the "universal" demo, but they do give you a general idea of the sound.  

The casing is actually much larger than a universal IEM case would be, and more like a custom shell that is slightly too small to lock into the ear.  So, as good as the demos sound they wont make them that way for sale to the public, which is a shame.  For example, the ES5 demos sound better than the UM3X, but they can't fit all that gear into a case the size of a UM3X or W3 and so they don't plan to make an ES5 universal for sale to the public.

Aug 29, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #879 of 2,681
boy this rig has really got me wondering if i should sell my entire home rig - I would almost have enough for the JH-3A... all i'd have to do is pawn a kidney, and maybe pry out my gold crown, and id be good to go. :wink:

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #881 of 2,681

Quote:
are you able to use the phones without the amp, though? while on the go i'd not want to carry that amp around

No, sir. That's where the crossovers are now, so there's no way you'll use the phones without the amp. (Even though you may have figured that out already since it's like the first thing to know about the JH-3A.)

This is the reason I'm keeping my JH13's around: cuz I like to use them to evaluate/enjoy other equipment.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #882 of 2,681

Quote:
are you able to use the phones without the amp, though? while on the go i'd not want to carry that amp around

As thread said, because the crossovers are now in the amp/DAC, there is no way for you to use the JH-3A's JH-13/16 without the amp. The JH-3A's JH-13/16 will have a special plug too. 

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #883 of 2,681
wow! im about 20 pages into this thread and im drooling.. i really think im gonna pull the trigger on the jh3a.. it does make me nervous to know that better and mainly, smaller models may follow, but I imagine JH will at LEAST make it possible to upgrade to a new amp without buying the whole package again

one person quoted JH from canjam as saying the following - and i think this is the coolest idea EVER!  that would mean we could make the frequency response flat no matter which source we used. - or at least dang close!  SO COOL!

Quote:
We plan on putting software and xover upgrades on the site to
download. Also we want do a Block of 5 stereo bands of parametric EQ
for the end user to have if they would want to tweak the audio for
their taste.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #884 of 2,681

Quote:
I believe that if you have taken people's money in advance, and the release is going to be later than originally estimated, then a simple e-mail (or phone call) to all
who have invested, is in order. 

Why should it be hush, hush??? 
confused_face_2.gif

because some people here sweat the small stuff way too much and have no understanding that new products particularly something like this can be delayed. Also not sure what everyone else was told but I was told some time in Sept when I pre ordered at CanJam.  You know how it goes they start talking then they are barraged when time better spent head down getting the 3a out.

Quote:
I expected a little more or better from JH with their well known customer service history.  But I'm not bent out of shape about it. But if there's another delay, I just might be.  

I'd rather a second delay to get it right then have a product that is rushed to market. I plan on owning these for a very long time and a month or two either way is going to be no big deal.  A year from now I'd rather they got it right than got it out fast.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #885 of 2,681

Quote:
because some people here sweat the small stuff way too much and have no understanding that new products particularly something like this can be delayed. Also not sure what everyone else was told but I was told some time in Sept when I pre ordered at CanJam.  You know how it goes they start talking then they are barraged when time better spent head down getting the 3a out.

I'd rather a second delay to get it right then have a product that is rushed to market. I plan on owning these for a very long time and a month or two either way is going to be no big deal.  A year from now I'd rather they got it right than got it out fast.

You make some valid points....HOWEVER I will say this since I know JHAudio is listening (reading)....

If you are going to delay, delay BIG.  Don't string everyone along and say its next week, no its the week after that, no, no its 2 weeks from now etc....I rather them say Christmas and know they are going to deliver a fully QA'ed product. 

Brittany mentioned that it was 98% done on another thread I think so my guess is late September seems plausible and I am perfectly happy with that timeline.  JHAudio is typically one of the best in the biz when it comes to customer service (they are small so you have to be patient but when you get their attention they always strive to make it right).

Also bare in mind, I paid a little under 2k months ago UPFRONT.  Normally people don't sweat the small stuff when you pre-order because your cash hasn't been taken from you.  Remember that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back