JH Audio JH-3A
Jun 7, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #256 of 2,681

Quote:

I'm not clear at all about the cost of these things (incl. allocated overheads, which are always tricky); but I've never heard a merchant say 'we're gonna earn so much on these that we'll be laughing all the way to the bank' :)

Just basic marketing, no?

i guess you could take that from it, but i believed what he said, it makes sense considering the effort put into it and the electronics were getting. but like i said, you dont have to

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #257 of 2,681
It's sorry that the passive crossover in a cable thing won't be done then, the impossibility of it will remain a technical mystery though. or it could simply be a more polite if slightly untruthful way of saying "too low return on investment".

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #258 of 2,681
Quote:
i guess you could take that from it, but i believed what he said, it makes sense considering the effort put into it and the electronics were getting. but like i said, you dont have to

It just echoes what I've always thought. For all his technical genius, Jerry's real strength is his marketing prowess. This is a small, obvious example, but the way he associated with singers first and then sold to the mass market.. the way he's using facebook.. the way his company focuses on amazing customer service.. all examples of a company that really knows how to do its marketing.

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #259 of 2,681

Quote:
It just echoes what I've always thought. For all his technical genius, Jerry's real strength is his marketing prowess. This is a small, obvious example, but the way he associated with singers first and then sold to the mass market.. the way he's using facebook.. the way his company focuses on amazing customer service.. all examples of a company that really knows how to do its marketing.

And don't forget the way he changes the game with his technological breakthroughs and quality products.
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #260 of 2,681
Allrighty, I've just reviewed all the other informative posts since this morning about the JH-3A.  Here's what's left for me to add in short I haven't seen it mentioned yet.  If I screw up, you 'all know that I have at least given an effort.

1. The current dimensions of the prototypes and the casing designs are more or less final.  As you have seen from the pictures others have posted, the unit is semi-portable.  Actually only one unit was working (black) the other was just a nonworking sample.  An external DAC connected with a ribbon-cable from below (black box it was resting on).

1. The netbook was used to host the softswitch to allow rudimentary control over volume and bass boost in this version which was only Beta.  At production stage, this will become a downloadable utility software used to pre-program DSP presets after the parameters have been tuned with laser like precision.  I am using these words not as a marketing slogan, but to express the design intent and the capabilities of this chipset.  An eventual iPhone/iPad app to control the DSP is also a possibility.  According to Jerry, he's been toying with the concept for several years, but only after this particular CL DSP chipset was introduced, could this device be created.
  2. To address the power requirements, the production unit will feature 2xLi-Ion battery packs with the expected rating of about 20 hours of operation.  This is one of the reasons for the HifiMan-like chassis dimensions.  He had mentioned that about a quarter inch could be shaved off of its height, if only one battery were to be used.  Since it still wouldn't be an easily pocketable device, I think he had made the right choice.
  3. The only available demo unit was JH16 Pro-based, because he didn't have the JH13 DSP presets available.  It was the first time I have actually used a demo version, and was amazed how poor the seal was compared to my own customs.  Jerry was helpful as every, and answered every question kindly and patiently not just to me but everybody else I could observe talking to. Strictly on a personal level, I have felt a deep sense of satisfaction to be fortunate enough to be able to support people like him and Craig Sanborn, for example, to succeed.  But I digress...I have hooked up my own iPad with some reference recordings to the unit after Jerry heroically wrestled the JH16 demos into my fat head; quite serious undertaking.

1. And finally some impressions.  It was clear from the rigged gear that some pre-production jitters were at play.  At blank passages, certain hiss has entered into my ear when the soft volume control was pushed higher than 90%.  That and the--to my ear--unusually poor fit bothered me.  Yet, when I was able to focus on the tracks presented, I could hear some of the potential this technology could yield.  On my Jazz at the Pawnshop live recording, which I have listened to several dozen times using different amps and sources, the stage was alive and easily identifiable. Treble extensions that simply weren't there before appeared out of nowhere.   Mind you, this is a recording that will sound amazing on an iPod Shuffle....well, kinda amazing.  And this is a 16-bit, 44.1Khz master.  I can't even imagine what this thing will do when driven from a DSD stream or a 24-bit/192Khz source, such as an SACD player.
  2. At any rate, I had lost of other adventures at Can Jam.  If you haven't heard of them--CEntrance recently released their DAC Port USB/stick combo.  I took the wrong turn and bumped into their booth.  This unit is also amazing for $399 list being a Class A headphone op-amp and a true 24/96 mid-grade DAC.  In this price class, I have yet to hear a better DAC below $1,000.  Sorry for hijacking this part of the thread, but I'm too tired to start another.

Thanks for reading these and, if you haven't made it to Can Jam 2010, do make sure you'll be there next year!  It was my first and can't wait for the next one!

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #261 of 2,681

Quote:

Who knows? From the JH-3A impressions from people, this amplifier is besting anything available for the JH13/16 pro as of now and it only costs an extra $700 for newcomers. So for less money than a high end source you're getting the best sound quality from your JH13/16 Pro's. I could just well on be wrong though.

that may be so but keep in mind that this amp can only be used with JH13/16 pro and nothing else. its a dedicated amp to a specific iem. I dont think $700 dollars is anything to sneeze at. 
there are other amps out there cost more but they are not closed systems and can be used with many different HPs and any future upgrades or purchases.. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #262 of 2,681
Answers inline.

Quote:
Wow!  Questions:
1. Does this have a rechargeable battery?  Does it have AC adapter so you can run it off the AC (very much like the Pico amp)?  If not, at home use, it will use up a lot of battery.  Yes, answered in my previous post.
2. Is the Dac in here better than the Dac in Pico?  Significantly better, no offense to HeadAmp.  
3. Can the dac be used just as a stand alone dac?  for other amp and headphone use?  (sorry if this sounds way off).  I don't think this feature is planned.
4. I have the 13pro.  In my listening, I prefer the soundstage and the detail of the HD800(the accentuated treble on HD800 gives it more noticeable detail. Can someone give comparisons?  You will have a ball with the JH-3A, because that's one of it's strengths.  I'd still recommend considering a new 16 version with it, because you will be be able to digitally tune it to the JH13 presets if you wish, but you'll also retain the extra headroom and richer bass texture option if the recording demands it.  That way you can still use your existing 13s with your regular amps, but will have the best of both worlds with the JH-3A.

thanks much appreciated.  really felt I was done until this... :frowning2:

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #263 of 2,681

Quote:
that may be so but keep in mind that this amp can only be used with JH13/16 pro and nothing else. its a dedicated amp to a specific iem. I dont think $700 dollars is anything to sneeze at. 
there are other amps out there cost more but they are not closed systems and can be used with many different HPs and any future upgrades or purchases.. 

Why would you want to use a different headphone than a JH13/16 Pro and JH-3A combo? Downgrade anyone?
blink.gif

I understand you though.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #264 of 2,681

Quote:

JHA is still a startup company, don't forget that.  Logitech (UE) would like nothing more than to disappear for good.  I have met the man for the first time AFTER I bought 3 sets of IEMs from him this year (including the JH3A).  He had no idea who I was but he treated everyone with respect and answered every question truthfully and patiently.  I am not disputing the statement that he is a multitalented individual and knows how to run a business...but he treats his employees like family.

There is nothing wrong with effective marketing when your products live up to the hype, like Apple.  There is everything wrong with marketing, when it is substituted for innovation, design excellence and personalized customer service.  This characterization does not apply to JH Audio in general and especially not to Jerry Harvey.  But like Steve Jobs, he did change my lifestyle for the better and for that I'm immensely grateful.  Money well paid.  Sorry for the rant, but this is why it's worth attending these events.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #265 of 2,681
Anyone know if the production version will have the two connectors on the IEM like the demo pair seems to have?

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #266 of 2,681

Quote:
It only looks like that in that picture. It's not tiny. It's about the size of a 4th generation iPod with a cover on it. More like the
thickness of the original RSA SR-71, but taller and wider.

to me it is tiny as a top of the line full range system (say, it is about half the size of the 001t portable I am building, probably weight only half as well).

One question for the JH gurus: how do you dig the digital out of a portable source such as an iPod and pipe it directly into the DSP amp? 

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #267 of 2,681

Quote:

your point is well taken, but if you prefer top of the line customs for the majority or all of your music listening, I firmly believe there is no better choice on the market than the JH13/16 Pros because of their proprietary driver technology and design/tuning.  $700 is a lot of money, but you need to put it in context of what you're getting for it, which is a breakthru product, unique in its capabilities in that form factor.  If you are worried about future resale value, it would be extremely easy to resell it and either remold the shells or even better, the new owner can just order a new custom for his/her earmolds from JHA directly.  These shells are a lot easier to make without the crossover circuitry and custom tuning present in the current versions, which make (especially) the JH16s such a chore to produce.  But this is just my opinion.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #268 of 2,681
warp08,

point taken. What I meant to say in my post is not if the price is justified, which in this case sounds like it is, I just wanted to put it in context and point out that $700 is a reasonable price. It was partly for the the comment about Jerry harvey not making too much profit and more so to sonics comment of "only costs a extra $700 dollars for newcomers".

Quote:
your point is well taken, but if you prefer top of the line customs for the majority or all of your music listening, I firmly believe there is no better choice on the market than the JH13/16 Pros because of their proprietary driver technology and design/tuning.  $700 is a lot of money, but you need to put it in context of what you're getting for it, which is a breakthru product, unique in its capabilities in that form factor.  If you are worried about future resale value, it would be extremely easy to resell it and either remold the shells or even better, the new owner can just order a new custom for his/her earmolds from JHA directly.  These shells are a lot easier to make without the crossover circuitry and custom tuning present in the current versions, which make (especially) the JH16s such a chore to produce.  But this is just my opinion.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #269 of 2,681

Quote:

I agree to this very much.  I still remember that last year when the JH13 just came out, one of the very respected head-fiers did ask Jerry if anything better may come out shortly after and Jerry did answered that it's unlikely due to the fact that the JH13 was so advance.  That gave some hope to the readers (or the owners of the JH13) that the JH13 can stay top for few years like the UE10.  Few months later the JH16 came out and then few months later the JH3A came out again.

It seems that the IEM market is really flying up and red-hot now and the competition is very fierce.  For the head-fiers who thought portable fi is not worthwhile may need to try this system and have a verdict.

I'm at the moment a bit hesitant to try the JH3A because it take too much pain for me to maximize the potential of the JH3A -- I have no portable system that has digital outputs. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #270 of 2,681

Quote:
I agree to this very much.  I still remember that last year when the JH13 just came out, one of the very respected head-fiers did ask Jerry if anything better may come out shortly after and Jerry did answered that it's unlikely due to the fact that the JH13 was so advance.  That gave some hope to the readers (or the owners of the JH13) that the JH13 can stay top for few years like the UE10.  Few months later the JH16 came out and then few months later the JH3A came out again.

It seems that the IEM market is really flying up and red-hot now and the competition is very fierce.  For the head-fiers who thought portable fi is not worthwhile may need to try this system and have a verdict.

I'm at the moment a bit hesitant to try the JH3A because it take too much pain for me to maximize the potential of the JH3A -- I have no portable system that has digital outputs.

In the Can Jam it was fed via analog out from a iPad and people so far are loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back