JH Audio JH-3A
Jun 8, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #286 of 2,681
It really isn't about ruggedness ... they are paired, and essentially useless without one another so unpairing them seems like a rare event anyways. its about data transmission and cleanliness. it looks like a clusterf*, when while your deprecating the old connection essentially due to the pairing, you're free to move forward in design and tech for connecting the IEM. the old design would seem like the new bottleneck. i just think its forcing the old pin arrangement in the new reference which clearly has higher demands as far as channel separation from the adaptation of the old 2 pin to the new 2x2pin *(which is garish), square peg/round hold. i would go for a single ended high bit rate (hbr) multichannel (up to 4 triad pair channels in some cases; 4x(3 pins; 2 channels - 1 ground)) connector that is small enough for the IEMs ... just my observation, if i could ask jerry i would: pm his email if you guys have it.

Quote:
milkman, its not a digital link to the IEMs, its still analogue. there are some pinheader connectors with a finer pitch by 3m, molex etc, but not so hot for unplugging and plugging. repeatedly. the lemo/odu range have a right angle multipin connector that might be about the same size as 2 connectors and is locking. there are literally thousands of options actually, mainly connectors used for internal connections. but its a matter of finding one small enough that is rugged enough, not that the stock connector sets a standard there.

Greenleo, I know what you mean man, no dramas on the info. I for sure have carried larger rigs on a daily basis without complaint due to the SQ they bring, but yeah I have been working on bringing it down to 2 while increasing quality. there will be a way

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #288 of 2,681

Quote:
greenleo, the cycherlabs homepage, algorythim solo is designed by the same guy that did the DSP in this thing. It takes the digital out of any iDevice, has its own wolfston dac and analogue out (which IMO just takes up room and is superfluous in this instance) but it costs 579USD and is not small, so the resulting rig will be at least as big as what I carry at the moment and come in at around 3k including the ipod. ipad has digital out with the camera connection kit but this is USB, they say usb will be added, but whether its hirez is still unknown. there are a few other devices coming to market too, but all are a significant investment and not small. you can get an ipad plus camera connection kit outright for about the same money, wow what a mess this man can bring with invention :wink: I knew a storm was coming this year.

I talked to Matt while evaluating the Solo prototype.  He decided by the Woolfson DAC because it is more advanced than the version installed in the iMods, yet the power requirements are still within the limits of the 5V USB-out of the iDevices.  This revelation had dawned on me after a totally separate 1-on-1 I had with Fang about his HFM-801 design decisions.  Fang very patiently and clearly explained that high-end DAC chipsets (no doubt DSPs as well) have much higher power requirements than low- or mid-grade 16/44 implementations.  Now there are still differences even with those, because a quality 16/44 chipset with an accurate clock and low jitter parameters will sound noticeably better than without.  Bottom line is that the Solo is using the best DAC chipset available today that can be powered from an iDevice dock on-the-go.

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #289 of 2,681
Well good news! I just had my order modified from just a pair of JH16 Pro's to a JH16 Pro and JH-3A combo! So for those who just bought either the JH13 or 16 Pro and are wondering if they can have their order modified, you can.
smile.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #290 of 2,681

Quote:
I agree to this very much.  I still remember that last year when the JH13 just came out, one of the very respected head-fiers did ask Jerry if anything better may come out shortly after and Jerry did answered that it's unlikely due to the fact that the JH13 was so advance.  That gave some hope to the readers (or the owners of the JH13) that the JH13 can stay top for few years like the UE10.  Few months later the JH16 came out and then few months later the JH3A came out again.

It seems that the IEM market is really flying up and red-hot now and the competition is very fierce.  For the head-fiers who thought portable fi is not worthwhile may need to try this system and have a verdict.

I'm at the moment a bit hesitant to try the JH3A because it take too much pain for me to maximize the potential of the JH3A -- I have no portable system that has digital outputs. 

Remember that the JH16 did not render the JH13 obsolete.  I prefer the 16 myself for most listening scenarios with my current gear, but there are still configurations and genres where the neutrality of the 13s are still preferred.  Both of them will still be sold, valued and enjoyed for a long time, depending on personal preference.  The JHA competitive advantage lies with Jerry's ability to constantly innovate and stay ahead of the competition.  He will do whatever it takes to push the limits and the JH-3A is just the latest example of that. 

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #291 of 2,681

Quote:
Well good news! I just had my order modified from just a pair of JH16 Pro's to a JH16 Pro and JH-3A combo! So for those who just bought either the JH13 or 16 Pro and are wondering if they can have their order modified, you can.
smile.gif

I emailed Jaime with a similar inquiry as well as some other questions yesterday but I haven't heard anything back as yet. Regardless of the answer I'm on the fence, yes I'm going to assume a 13Pro/3A combo will sound better than the 13Pros with my Pico DAC/Amp but in order to even think about adding the 3A to my order I'd have to sell the Pico which limits my use of other phones and I also lose much of the portability factor. On the flip side of that I'd really only want another full-sized headphone for occasional use when I don't feel like having something in my ears or the isolation is too much and to be honest probably 95% or more of my IEM use is at work or home sitting stationary anyway.

Optimally I'd like to just stick with my 13Pro order as is and look at ordering a 16Pro/3A combo down the road when the dust has settled and the 3A has had some time to mature so to speak. But the thing is, the 13Pro is a huge purchase for me, one which will take some time to pay off so purchasing a 16Pro/3A combo wouldn't happen anytime in the near future, if at all.

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #292 of 2,681

Quote:
I emailed Jaime with a similar inquiry as well as some other questions yesterday but I haven't heard anything back as yet.

they got back to me earlier today.  Seems they took all day off yesterday post-CanJam, causing some communications delay.  No problems going from JH16 to JH16/JH3A.

I was on the fence about sticking w/ the order and getting another one down the road (esp since I got a Protector ahead of time... not that it's a complete waste as I had my HD650 recabled as well and they sound absolutely fantastic), but decided it makes more sense to do the upgrade and, if I feel the need to, add an order of their lower-ends for uses like at the gym/etc where I'd need the extra portability.

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #293 of 2,681

Quote:
they got back to me earlier today.  Seems they took all day off yesterday post-CanJam, causing some communications delay.  No problems going from JH16 to JH16/JH3A.

I was on the fence about sticking w/ the order and getting another one down the road (esp since I got a Protector ahead of time... not that it's a complete waste as I had my HD650 recabled as well and they sound absolutely fantastic), but decided it makes more sense to do the upgrade and, if I feel the need to, add an order of their lower-ends for uses like at the gym/etc where I'd need the extra portability.

Hmmm, there's an idea I hadn't thought of.

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #294 of 2,681

Quote:
I emailed Jaime with a similar inquiry as well as some other questions yesterday but I haven't heard anything back as yet. Regardless of the answer I'm on the fence, yes I'm going to assume a 13Pro/3A combo will sound better than the 13Pros with my Pico DAC/Amp but in order to even think about adding the 3A to my order I'd have to sell the Pico which limits my use of other phones and I also lose much of the portability factor. On the flip side of that I'd really only want another full-sized headphone for occasional use when I don't feel like having something in my ears or the isolation is too much and to be honest probably 95% or more of my IEM use is at work or home sitting stationary anyway.

Optimally I'd like to just stick with my 13Pro order as is and look at ordering a 16Pro/3A combo down the road when the dust has settled and the 3A has had some time to mature so to speak. But the thing is, the 13Pro is a huge purchase for me, one which will take some time to pay off so purchasing a 16Pro/3A combo wouldn't happen anytime in the near future, if at all.

Yes, if you have other phones and use them along with your 13's then a JH-3A should be something you'll want to get more down the road if it will make you neglect your other phones.

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #296 of 2,681

Quote:

Yes, if you have other phones and use them along with your 13's then a JH-3A should be something you'll want to get more down the road if it will make you neglect your other phones.

With the exception of the SA6's I'll be selling my other phones to fund the 13Pro purchase but I'll probably end up with a modest full-sized in the future.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #297 of 2,681
Jerry just let me know that the final build WILL ACCEPT 16/44 audio from the mini USB.

I'm not certain what his actual intentions are in this regard, but he also said that taking 24/192 from the USB input would add $250-300 to the cost of the device and take about 6 months to become available.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #298 of 2,681
... whats the rush? fix the output connector to something optical, ive checked out some AOC cables and they are small enough to keep the signal digital all the way through to the BA's with clear channel separation on a SINGLE ended termination point on the IEMs themselves. why skimp on the connector. it doesnt need to be standard, just available. it already costs $1750 ... whats an extra $250 and superior SQ through a usb port?

@thread can you please PM Jerry's email information (thanks) i would like to email him about the engineering aspects of this amp. they said they were open to see what people were looking for. i would like to see what he thinks.

thanks

USELESS INFO BELOW:
something that has _NOTHING_ to do with ANYTHING on this site: i was just finished with this post and looked over at the juice bottle on my desk its Simply Limeade which is produced in Apopka Florida ... LOL.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #299 of 2,681
@thread:

...and unfortunately they are supposedly not adding an optical S/PDIF (toslink). But I was very surprised getting the "coax and usb only info" from Jerry himself. That's real customer service!

So, after I was happy, that I couldn't decide between JH13 and JH16 long enough for the JH-3A to be announced and was very exited about it, it's getting to be a dealbreaker for me because I would have to use the inferior anlog input or go for an additional toslink -> coax converter (haven't found a battery driven one so far). Sure, it would still be a very good sounding setup with analog input, but it's just not the same as with digital input. I really wish they would change their minds and add an toslink input as well. Is it just me?

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #300 of 2,681
Ill do my best to respond to some of what has been brought up, but dont like the new quoting system, so ill just be writing your names :p

Warp, all the info your posted back on page 18, are you sure of all of that or are you speculating? the black box underneath the unit was not a dac as far as i know, it was just an interfacing unit to get from the computer to the amp box. Second, he never mentioned anything about an iPhone app to control the DSP, i dont think we will have any control over it once it ships, though an app for iphone would be cool.

Also several people brought up the use of the connectors, when i first asked, matt told me that jerry was having a new connector with 4 pins made to be used, with one pin sticking out the side so it couldnt be put in backwards(imagine sending the bass signal to the tweeter 
blink.gif
 ) but then later when i asked jerry he said that because the custom cable makers already had all the tooling for the current connector, that he didnt want to use the new one to limit them. I would agree that using a new connector would be better. I also worry about using aftermarket cables, because the whole system is going to be completely phase tuned using the cable it comes with, if one used a different cable, and all 8 cables werent exactly the same lengths as the ones previously the output could very well be compromised, or maybe not the same length as the stock, but if the different cables are different lengths within the new cable, you could have phase issues that werent supposed to be there which would defeat the purpose.

Also, i dont remember who, but someone mentioned it would be easier to reshell these becasue the Xover isnt onside. Which just isnt the case, the output sound tubes on the new jh-3a's are still phase tuned as well, and then phased to to be perfect using the DSP. (side rant: as far as i know reshelling companys dont do any sort of phase tuning using the sound tubes, and are therefor never going to sound as good as the ones coming from jh, so reshelling is a scam i feel.)

Greenleo, as qusp said, the cypher labs algorithm solo will allow easy access to the digital stream off of the idevices, which is awesome. Though i do agree with qusp that the analog section and dac are useless for us, i borated them endlessly at the show to release a version without either that was smaller, and they said maybe later on they would. but a correction to what qusp said, matt didnt jsut design the DSP portion of the jh3a amp, he also designed the amp portion.

HAHA CSIR, i completely agree, unfortunately she had a boyfriend 
wink.gif
 though still one of the prettiest girls ive ever seen.

and customnuts...your welcome, thanks for the compliments, i tried to be brief but you saw where that got me haha i felt though that since i speant more time with them than anyone else, except maybe baring Jude(who still hasnt written anything??) that i had to write something substantial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back