JH Audio JH-3A
Jun 7, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #271 of 2,681

Quote:
Why would you want to use a different headphone than a JH13/16 Pro and JH-3A combo? Downgrade anyone?
blink.gif

I understand you though.

But I do hope that I can upgrade my amp, my DAC.  At the moment I can't see how these can be done until JH has new products come out.  I dislike the idea of feeding the analogue output of any DAC to the JH3A because it's potential has not been fully actualized.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #272 of 2,681
Quote:
Have you guys noticed that the output of the JH-3A where it feeds the JH13/16 Pro has the pins? This is not a good idea in the long run because the pins may get bent by accident. I would prefer the pins be on the cable connector like the way they are on the RSA Protector/TWag or other balanced cable or the connector that goes into the JH/UE/Westone custom IEM shells.

Yeah, actually this is a bit worrying because if the pins get bent, the unit needs repairing and you can't just replace the cable...

Quote:
Anyone know if the production version will have the two connectors on the IEM like the demo pair seems to have?

I asked Jerry this question myself and he tells me the production version will, but they won't be angled like the demos; the two connectors will be right up next to each other, parallel.

Edit: He added that part of this decision was to allow aftermarket cable makers to easily build replacements.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #273 of 2,681
greenleo, the cycherlabs homepage, algorythim solo is designed by the same guy that did the DSP in this thing. It takes the digital out of any iDevice, has its own wolfston dac and analogue out (which IMO just takes up room and is superfluous in this instance) but it costs 579USD and is not small, so the resulting rig will be at least as big as what I carry at the moment and come in at around 3k including the ipod. ipad has digital out with the camera connection kit but this is USB, they say usb will be added, but whether its hirez is still unknown. there are a few other devices coming to market too, but all are a significant investment and not small. you can get an ipad plus camera connection kit outright for about the same money, wow what a mess this man can bring with invention :wink: I knew a storm was coming this year.

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #274 of 2,681
um, does this mean no cable upgrades until someone develops some? I don't know if jerry's new rig uses already standardized connectors or if his cables are trail blaizers and  use unique jacks

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #275 of 2,681
standard 8 pin XLR and 2 x the connectors hes already using, but if he is going to tie them together into a 4 pin connector, until the pitch is known not a lot can be done

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #276 of 2,681
That is exactly why I chose the 16's

Quote:

EDIT: i see alot of people asking whether people are ordering with the JH-13's or the 16's. my view on this, is that since the bass is completely adjustable, you can easily give the 16 version the same bass as the normal 13's have, but can then also turn it up to the 16's level if you want, and even at the 13's output level, your still getting that little bit of extra bass refinement that the 16's have. 

So i guess to put it blunty, unless you're really pinching pennies for those 50 extra dollars, there would be zero reason not to get the 16's version.

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #281 of 2,681

Quote:
greenleo, the cycherlabs homepage, algorythim solo is designed by the same guy that did the DSP in this thing. It takes the digital out of any iDevice, has its own wolfston dac and analogue out (which IMO just takes up room and is superfluous in this instance) but it costs 579USD and is not small, so the resulting rig will be at least as big as what I carry at the moment and come in at around 3k including the ipod. ipad has digital out with the camera connection kit but this is USB, they say usb will be added, but whether its hirez is still unknown. there are a few other devices coming to market too, but all are a significant investment and not small. you can get an ipad plus camera connection kit outright for about the same money, wow what a mess this man can bring with invention :wink: I knew a storm was coming this year.

Thanks Qusp.  Though now I don't fancy a 3-piece solution very much (idevice + alog solo +JH3A) but I did use even more troublesome setup than this before.  I must be getting old, ha ha.

Thanks again for the info and the pricing.

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #282 of 2,681
the iem's are now digitally linked in a way that jha can save your signature almost like and aural fingerprint. interesting.

i would be interested in, since the amp and iems are linked in an integral digital harmony why use an 8 pin xlr to what appears to be 4 pins for the normal termination per side. it would appear to be the perfect opportunity to change the connector on the iem itself. if they are in the business of removing bottlenecks wouldnt it be prudent to upgrade and consolidate from 4 pins on 2 connectors to on option that is a one connection solution per side?

ive looked on mouser to try and find that option, however my search proved fruitless maybe someone with more knowledge may be able to help. the problem is size and utility. not many small multi channel digital audio hbr connectors.

this is not to be misunderstood with an aversion to frequent iem detachment, but a higher bitrate, and less susceptibility to noise. i could be way off, just seems if it is possible then why not really go all out?

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #283 of 2,681

Quote:
the iem's are now digitally linked in a way that jha can save your signature almost like and aural fingerprint. interesting.

i would be interested in, since the amp and iems are linked in an integral digital harmony why use an 8 pin xlr to what appears to be 4 pins for the normal termination per side. it would appear to be the perfect opportunity to change the connector on the iem itself. if they are in the business of removing bottlenecks wouldnt it be prudent to upgrade and consolidate from 4 pins on 2 connectors to on option that is a one connection solution per side?

ive looked on mouser to try and find that option, however my search proved fruitless maybe someone with more knowledge may be able to help. the problem is size and utility. not many small multi channel digital audio hbr connectors.

this is not to be misunderstood with an aversion to frequent iem detachment, but a higher bitrate, and less susceptibility to noise. i could be way off, just seems if it is possible then why not really go all out?

It may cause discomfort to the users ears I believe.

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #284 of 2,681
milkman, its not a digital link to the IEMs, its still analogue. there are some pinheader connectors with a finer pitch by 3m, molex etc, but not so hot for unplugging and plugging. repeatedly. the lemo/odu range have a right angle multipin connector that might be about the same size as 2 connectors and is locking. there are literally thousands of options actually, mainly connectors used for internal connections. but its a matter of finding one small enough that is rugged enough, not that the stock connector sets a standard there.

Greenleo, I know what you mean man, no dramas on the info. I for sure have carried larger rigs on a daily basis without complaint due to the SQ they bring, but yeah I have been working on bringing it down to 2 while increasing quality. there will be a way

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #285 of 2,681

Quote:
Souprknowa: Thanks for impresions.

Now I must decided which route to take. I can go with Czech diy project of high-end dac and amp or wait few motnhs and take JH-3A.
Need more comparison against high-end rigs!! :) :)

x2
and thanks also to souprknowa: well written and very helpful, (not to my wallet though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back