JH Audio JH-3A
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #2,401 of 2,681

I've got my summoning hat on... :)

That is a good point.... I don't know if the price will jump when/if they get to a point where they can start fulfilling orders...
Quote:
 I think you run the risk of the system being more expensive.   If you can summon up that last ounce of patience, you may well be rewarded.....soon....

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #2,402 of 2,681
Just in rom the Twitterverse...

@AudiophiliacMan: Talked with Jerry Harvey (a genius) about his new tri-amped, JH-13 & JH-16 in-ear headphones coming soon. My mind is about to be blown.

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #2,403 of 2,681

Again, as long as you don't make any false claims, we won't have any issue. 

At no point during this discussion have I said anything that I perceive could be construed as being rude.  I'd suggest going back and re-reading my posts if you perceive otherwise. 

By the way, I'd never suggest that there are no differences between various transducers, as you seemed to imply with your comment about just picking up some $15 Koss headphones.  It's a good indication of your level of awareness about the issues we're speaking on, though.   

The problem I have with your statements is not that you don't believe that cables make a difference nor that you say so. The problem I have is the attitude that your belief is the truth and important to educate newcomers whereas the opinion of others that cables can make a difference is false claims and should be discounted as attempts to mislead newcomers.

Either opinion is neither more nor less than that, personal opinions, not THE truth.

And as you have probably guessed I do belive that cables can (but don't always) make a difference (both for better and worse) but I have never experienced it as night and day changes just a way of fine tuning. I also believe that some people can hear things I can't but also that I can hear things that somebody else can't.

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #2,405 of 2,681
I bought the TWAG OM v.2 and have been burning them in the suggested 300 hours.  My JH13 sounds great with the cable.  Is it because of the JH13 or the cable or both?  I think I'll never know.  But for what I paid for the TWAG, it'll sound great to me no matter what :)   Psycho-acoustics/voodoo or reality, quien sabe?

That said, I think Roy's posts are just fine and add a welcome counterpoint to the overwhelming majority of the posts here and constitute value-added.  While I might not have used the term "pseudo" as did Roy, insofar as I believe it means "false," as opposed to something like "not scientifically proven," (since the jury's out in my case) I don't find Roy's posts insulting or offensive at all.    

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #2,406 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:

Again, as long as you don't make any false claims, we won't have any issue. 

At no point during this discussion have I said anything that I perceive could be construed as being rude.  I'd suggest going back and re-reading my posts if you perceive otherwise. 

By the way, I'd never suggest that there are no differences between various transducers, as you seemed to imply with your comment about just picking up some $15 Koss headphones.  It's a good indication of your level of awareness about the issues we're speaking on, though.   

The problem I have with your statements is not that you don't believe that cables make a difference nor that you say so. The problem I have is the attitude that your belief is the truth and important to educate newcomers whereas the opinion of others that cables can make a difference is false claims and should be discounted as attempts to mislead newcomers.

Either opinion is neither more nor less than that, personal opinions, not THE truth.

And as you have probably guessed I do belive that cables can (but don't always) make a difference (both for better and worse) but I have never experienced it as night and day changes just a way of fine tuning. I also believe that some people can hear things I can't but also that I can hear things that somebody else can't.

I understand where you're coming from.  I've made repeated attempts to avoid getting into a general discussion about cables.  Instead, I've tried to make specific comments about the relative value of cables in comparison to the DSP and active cross-over technology of the JH3A, on a cost-equivalent basis.  And even then, I was fairly diplomatic in qualifying my statement.  

I find it frustrating that others are supposedly entitled to be able to make recommendations about cables, but I'm criticized for offering my opinion that runs contrary to the popular belief, even though all objective evidence is clearly on my side.  In that sense, I disagree with what I perceive to be an equivocation regarding "truth" as simply a matter of opinion.  We're not talking about moral concepts, here.  We're talking about measurable audio equipment. 

If you want to suggest that your own anecdotal opinion runs contrary to the vast body of scientific literature that's been established on this subject, again, I don't have a problem with that.  Many here have done that, but have tried to pass that form of evidence off as being more scientific than it actually is.  I've been very clear in suggesting that "my truth" doesn't have to be anyone else's.

I find it interesting that I'm comfortable with others having an opinion, but I don't seem to be afforded the same courtesy.  That's alright.  As I said, my only involvement will be if someone makes what I perceive to be clearly erroneous claims.  I can say the sky is green, and demand that others respect my personal "truth", but that doesn't mean it should be above challenge. 

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #2,407 of 2,681
i don't give a damn if roy believes a cable can make a difference or not but his posts, as i tried to point out, were ad hominem attacks and i found them very offensive.
it doesn't appear that he's listened to jh products in any configuration and therefore has no direct knowledge of how any of them sound, unlike any number of folks here who have listened to them in a variety of circumstances.

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #2,409 of 2,681
Mar 4, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #2,410 of 2,681

Quote:
i reeeeeeally hope this thing can run directly from outlet power and not just the batteries...

Well, if it run directly from outlet power, you will face problem of finding some high quality power suply, power cables, in old house even some power filter. I think JH-3A will come with just some cheap switch power suply, which degrade sound.

Batteries is just best way how to power audio components.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 4, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #2,413 of 2,681
I understand where you're coming from.  I've made repeated attempts to avoid getting into a general discussion about cables.  Instead, I've tried to make specific comments about the relative value of cables in comparison to the DSP and active cross-over technology of the JH3A, on a cost-equivalent basis.  And even then, I was fairly diplomatic in qualifying my statement.  

I find it frustrating that others are supposedly entitled to be able to make recommendations about cables, but I'm criticized for offering my opinion that runs contrary to the popular belief, even though all objective evidence is clearly on my side.  In that sense, I disagree with what I perceive to be an equivocation regarding "truth" as simply a matter of opinion.  We're not talking about moral concepts, here.  We're talking about measurable audio equipment. 

If you want to suggest that your own anecdotal opinion runs contrary to the vast body of scientific literature that's been established on this subject, again, I don't have a problem with that.  Many here have done that, but have tried to pass that form of evidence off as being more scientific than it actually is.  I've been very clear in suggesting that "my truth" doesn't have to be anyone else's.

I find it interesting that I'm comfortable with others having an opinion, but I don't seem to be afforded the same courtesy.  That's alright.  As I said, my only involvement will be if someone makes what I perceive to be clearly erroneous claims.  I can say the sky is green, and demand that others respect my personal "truth", but that doesn't mean it should be above challenge. 

I understand that you favor the purely scientific approach that says if 2 things measure the same they must sound the same. I assume that then extends to all equipment ie. If 2 amps measure the same they also sound identical and so for all types of gear ?

Mar 4, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #2,414 of 2,681

Quote:

I assumed this would be the case as well.  Certainly if you're spending hundreds of dollars for a balanced cable, and probably more than a grand on top of that getting a balanced source and amp, you'd expect there to be a serious improvement.  But then I read this review:

http://www.headfonia.com/ibasso-pb-2-first-impression/

"IMPRESSIONS WITH CUSTOM IEMS

With custom IEMs like the JH16Pro, the balanced drive gives an instant boost in soundstage size and bass quantity and you get a much bigger sound than you do when driving in single ended. However, I do think that while very impressive in short listening sessions, the balanced drive only increases the phase inaccuracy already inherent in the multi-driver IEM design. The balanced drive also didn’t improve things like articulation, detail extraction, imaging precision, or bass control out of the JH16, and again I will have to go with the Pico Slim or the RSA Shadow for my JH16."

I never auditioned the PB2, but I did own a PB1 and do own the SR71B.  From personal experience, I find that above statement ridiculous, because it opens up as a general statement about multidriver-IEMs in general and then boils down to a single model.  A properly tuned multidriver IEM's passive crossover is carefully tuned to eliminate phase inaccuracies between the different driver clusters driven separately by the xover.  Assuming the tuning to eliminate phase inaccuracies was done right in the first place, going balanced certainly can't have any impact because it occurs at the cable terminating at the JH1 connector (at the shell input).  Balanced systems in general do not impact SQ in terms of articulation of any octave, certainly not bass control, rather benefit from increased separation and expansive sound stage vs. single-ended.  

Yes, it is an optional upgrade and by itself doesn't guarantee overall improvement over a properly matched source/amp/iem system.  The JH16 wouldn't be my first choice to pair with a PBx or even the SR71B, simply because it's sensitivity and low impedance, and the fact that--at least to my ears--the JH16 appears to be tuned more to operate directly from a HP-out of an iDevice or other DAP as part of an ultralight setup, where the midbass hump provided by the quad-bass drivers can nicely compensate for source deficiencies and yield a very nice ultraportable setup.  I use mine directly with a 6G Nano, or add the Shadow if I want a bit more refinement.  The Pico Slim provides a bit of excess bass punch in that configuration.

Because of its more balanced, neutral SQ as well as slightly higher impedance, the JH13 can more aptly handle high-powered, balanced portable amps--typically in their lowest gain setting--in general without any unpleasant subharmonics or loss of midrange performance.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #2,415 of 2,681

Quote:
Just in rom the Twitterverse...

Quote:
@AudiophiliacMan: Talked with Jerry Harvey (a genius) about his new tri-amped, JH-13 & JH-16 in-ear headphones coming soon. My mind is about to be blown.

I would assume next week they have to come for Jerry to ship by mid-March as promised.

I am a bit worried that my fittings which were taken last April/May won't give a tight seal.  I have not drastically changed weight.

Should I be ok?  These are my first set of custom IEMs (still has me nervous).  I am just wondering if there are others in this same boat.  I had my fittings done by one of the best in the business (at least according to reviews and Jerry).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back