JH Audio JH-3A
Jan 2, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #1,681 of 2,681

Quote:
Well after much going back and forth i think i will finally pull the trigger monday on the jh16/jh3a combo. i will be keeping my original jh16's to use with all things not jh3a and will be using the jh3a setup with the new Algorythm Solo.

Why don't you wait until it actually comes out?

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,682 of 2,681

Quote:
I've mostly been out of the game since I got my JH13 so I missed all the (unwanted) action but now that it's finally coming, I can't wait to see if the final product will be worth it.

X2. I was thinking the other day that what this product offers for the price is actually really good. The people that go for the JH13/16 usually have a nice source or amp and the combined price of those almost always adds up to the price of a JH-3A and many time exceeds it. The JH-3A has adjustable bass, digital inputs, and +-.25 a resolution that nobody seems to talk about but seems extremely cool. There has been many delays and some bad communication, but I am really looking forward to the release of this first of a kind product. I definitely want to hear a demo.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #1,683 of 2,681
while we're on the subject of things no one is talking about... i dont understand what any of these mean.. anyone care to school us?

1. + or - .25dB Resolution for Predetermined Audio Signature
  2. Phase and Time Correct
  1. 32-Bit DSP Resolution
  2. 72-Bit Accumulators
  3. 300,000,000 MAC/S

thanks

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #1,684 of 2,681

X2. I was thinking the other day that what this product offers for the price is actually really good. The people that go for the JH13/16 usually have a nice source or amp and the combined price of those almost always adds up to the price of a JH-3A and many time exceeds it.

We'll see soon. It's true from that perspective the combos price is actually quite the deal, and I think a least a few of us our secretly hoping this may be a 'do everything/nearly everything rig' on the relative (you know) cheap, but those who have 'many times exceeded' the price with their JH13/16 rigs, have usually not dedicated their whole rig(s) exclusively to the JHs. And as good as the standalone JHs are, they can be surpassed in areas and over time many who sold the full-sized phones for them, have re-acquired a LCD2, T1, HD800, etc. Of course there are some who have non-multiple-use gear across dynamics, stats, etc., so this may not matter, but the alternative spending on high priced DAC and amp isn't always in a vacuum. So the big question for some of us, as stated a few times early in this thread, (if you take out certain practical questions) is will the JH3A-JH1X really surpass some of the JH13/16 rigs out there. Fingers crossed.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #1,685 of 2,681
well, one of the main resons i sprung for this rig was so that i would be forced to stop constantly wanting to get a better dac/amp/something or try this or try that or maybe if i used that tube or maybe if I....
i kind of liked the idea of being locked into one rig, one amp, one dac, one pair of headphones and just being done.  sure i could endlessly tweak other components, but i probably wont cause i dont have the money.
Ill just have to simply be content with what i got.  and i trust that at this level of the game "what i got" will be pretty darn good. 

In a way having this rig will force me to just enjoy the music and stop trying to tweak everything with upgrade-itis.

its the same reason i was drawn to ipods, and hesitated rockboxing my clip +.   Maybe im getting old, but im just tired of all the tweaks, and options and endless what if's.  i just want to press play, sit back and enjoy.

NOW IF THEY WOULD JUST SHIP THE DARN THING!!!! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #1,686 of 2,681

1. + or - .25dB Resolution for Predetermined Audio Signature - This means that the device can be programmed (allegedly by the user) with a desired sound signature (think EQ setting) and be accurate across the spectrum to +/- .25dB.
  2. Phase and Time Correct - This means that the amp is actually customized to the earpieces that it is mated with. Part of the calibration process for each unit is to program the amp to add certain fractions of a millisecond delay to the DACs so that by the time the sound waves for the 3 discrete sets of drivers arrives at your ear drum, it is actually in phase (or time correct) so as to be "aligned" to create the exact desired waveform. Every ear and thus shell is different, and with a passive crossover, you just can't control the relative offsets of the sound from drivers. The CJ demo, with each frequency band right in sync, had an absolute clarity to the sound that is difficult to imagine. It is the introduction of the active crossover which is implemented in the digital realm (DSP chip) that allows this to be possible, and it seems to correct an inherit shortcoming of the passive crossovers always used in these multi-driver IEMs.
  1. 32-Bit DSP Resolution - This just means that the DSP supports a bit depth of 32 bits. Of course you're only using 16 bits of resolution with CD audio, but some higher resolution material requires more.
  2. 72-Bit Accumulators and 300,000,000 MAC/S - I'll have to defer on these.

Based on what I heard at CanJam, I do expect these to outdo anything possible with the passive crossover in one of these IEMs. It boils down to mostly the phase/time correctness but also the fact that you have 3 discrete rigs (dac/amp) for the spectrum. This means better damping/control.

Everything is IMO and to the best of my knowledge, of course.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,687 of 2,681
X2!  This is sort of why I am interested in this combo also.  Almost always amps and headphones are built seperately and people just happen to find combinations that work very well together....which can be a big pain as well as a big loss of money for the person trying to find the combination that works well.  In this case, the amp/dac/iem are all built for each other, meaning that the sound system of the amp/dsp was custom tailored for the individual earbuds.  I find that a very appealing concept, since I will by far trust the ears of Jerry Harvey over most other HFiers claiming that something sounds good on this forum.  Plus it helps that I won't need to tinker too much with the system in order to get it to sound right (other than slight cable upgrades :wink: )

Quote:
well, one of the main resons i sprung for this rig was so that i would be forced to stop constantly wanting to get a better dac/amp/something or try this or try that or maybe if i used that tube or maybe if I....
i kind of liked the idea of being locked into one rig, one amp, one dac, one pair of headphones and just being done.  sure i could endlessly tweak other components, but i probably wont cause i dont have the money.
Ill just have to simply be content with what i got.  and i trust that at this level of the game "what i got" will be pretty darn good. 

In a way having this rig will force me to just enjoy the music and stop trying to tweak everything with upgrade-itis.

its the same reason i was drawn to ipods, and hesitated rockboxing my clip +.   Maybe im getting old, but im just tired of all the tweaks, and options and endless what if's.  i just want to press play, sit back and enjoy.

NOW IF THEY WOULD JUST SHIP THE DARN THING!!!! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #1,688 of 2,681
It definitely sounds like this rig has some very significant advantages over the "conventional" ones involving the passive crossovers. The active crossovers that allow phase and time correctness seem very useful.

@br777,

I know exactly what you mean. I see many head-fiers have dozens of combos of source/amp/cans for many possible sounds, but I think I might be too overwhelmed by the array of options and nagging doubt that I can tweak something else to enjoy the music. This rig makes it easy, and you can dial in the amount of bass you want easily, something I would find very useful. Different types of music really do require different sounds, and many of the differences are in the bass. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #1,689 of 2,681
ok just to set a few things straight, I spoke with Jerry today and there is no optical input, usb is restricted to either 16/44 or 16/48 (not sure but does it really matter) the analog in from and ipad sounded heavenly I can't wait till I can get my Sonic Studio 305 wrapped around this unit. The initial amp units are coming in next week but the ear pieces need to be tuned so figure 4 week January providing no glitches.

I'm stoked as Jerry beleives the production units will outperform the CJ Chicago universal demo.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #1,690 of 2,681
please be very specific as to what you mean by "so figure 4 week January".. each time someone posts new info about this unit they somehow leave something ambiguous..this is how people began to think there would be a optical input.
so are you saying now that their estimation of - and i quote - "On track for shipping the 2nd week of Jan!" has not been pushed back 2 more weeks? and is that what jerry said, or are you just figuring that.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #1,691 of 2,681
Thank you, jp11801! Any thoughts, hunches or no, what could be making it better than the CJ demo? ..apart from being an actual custom, of course.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,692 of 2,681

Quote:

We'll see soon. It's true from that perspective the combos price is actually quite the deal, and I think a least a few of us our secretly hoping this may be a 'do everything/nearly everything rig' on the relative (you know) cheap, but those who have 'many times exceeded' the price with their JH13/16 rigs, have usually not dedicated their whole rig(s) exclusively to the JHs. And as good as the standalone JHs are, they can be surpassed in areas and over time many who sold the full-sized phones for them, have re-acquired a LCD2, T1, HD800, etc. Of course there are some who have non-multiple-use gear across dynamics, stats, etc., so this may not matter, but the alternative spending on high priced DAC and amp isn't always in a vacuum. So the big question for some of us, as stated a few times early in this thread, (if you take out certain practical questions) is will the JH3A-JH1X really surpass some of the JH13/16 rigs out there. Fingers crossed.

Nice analysis.  My suspicion, not having heard it, is that the JH3A will be very successful in ushering in a new era, as the JH13pro was when it was released.  I'd be curious to see what kind of patents Jerry has been able to obtain on the use of the technology, as I imagine we'll start to see it used by other companies in about a year or so.   

The question of whether an IEM can ever really replace a high end home rig is one that I've wrestled with personally.  I personally don't think they ever really can, but the idea of a one-box solution is profound and carries great intuitive appeal to many of us. 

I don't think there will be any ambiguity about whether the JH3A will surpass significantly the alternative rigs based on the passive crossover variants.  It's a really great business move on Jerry's part, provided the product justifies the hype. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #1,693 of 2,681

Quote:
please be very specific as to what you mean by "so figure 4 week January".. each time someone posts new info about this unit they somehow leave something ambiguous..this is how people began to think there would be a optical input.
so are you saying now that their estimation of - and i quote - "On track for shipping the 2nd week of Jan!" has not been pushed back 2 more weeks? and is that what jerry said, or are you just figuring that.

to spell it out the amp/dac units arrive in the next week or so then each unit gets tuned by hand then there is shipping time as well so yes if the amps get to Jerry next week lets just say 1/10 then it takes 5 days to tne the first batch then another few day to ship then yes 3-4th week January is reasonable

Quote:
Thank you, jp11801! Any thoughts, hunches or no, what could be making it better than the CJ demo? ..apart from being an actual custom, of course.

yes custom over universal adds some benefit as does the fine tuning Jerry has done over the past several months

Quote:

Nice analysis.  My suspicion, not having heard it, is that the JH3A will be very successful in ushering in a new era, as the JH13pro was when it was released.  I'd be curious to see what kind of patents Jerry has been able to obtain on the use of the technology, as I imagine we'll start to see it used by other companies in about a year or so.   

The question of whether an IEM can ever really replace a high end home rig is one that I've wrestled with personally.  I personally don't think they ever really can, but the idea of a one-box solution is profound and carries great intuitive appeal to many of us. 

I don't think there will be any ambiguity about whether the JH3A will surpass significantly the alternative rigs based on the passive crossover variants.  It's a really great business move on Jerry's part, provided the product justifies the hype. 

I'm not a patent attorney but I have stayed at a holiday inn, I'm not sure Jerry is doing something that is totally new as opposed to taking a well used pro audio speaker platform and using his experience to to port it over to iems. This tech has been used in stadium and theater sound systems for years

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #1,694 of 2,681

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not a patent attorney but I have stayed at a holiday inn, I'm not sure Jerry is doing something that is totally new as opposed to taking a well used pro audio speaker platform and using his experience to to port it over to iems. This tech has been used in stadium and theater sound systems for years

I suspect you're correct.  It will be interesting to see who else jumps on the bandwagon and attempts to do something similar. It's why it may have benefited Jerry to hold off announcing the product until they were sure they were close to being able to release it.  They've tipped their hand to potential competitors and allowed them some time to catch up.

I badly wish I could justifiably afford the JH3A. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back