JH Audio JH-3A
Dec 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #1,652 of 2,681
The QA350's UI is even smaller than the Amp3. It seems that we are going backwards here. I think the problem is, while electronics technology for sound is making advances, software really seems to be the hard part.

Also, why go through all those problems growing in Florida, when it seems that California and Colorado have it down to a science.
And as far as Monopoly is concerned, in the digital age, printing Monopoly money seems to be a lost cause.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #1,653 of 2,681

Quote:
The QA350's UI is even smaller than the Amp3. It seems that we are going backwards here. I think the problem is, while electronics technology for sound is making advances, software really seems to be the hard part.

Also, why go through all those problems growing in Florida, when it seems that California and Colorado have it down to a science.
And as far as Monopoly is concerned, in the digital age, printing Monopoly money seems to be a lost cause.

When has software NOT BEEN the hard part?

Sorry I couldn't help myself given my profession.

Aaron, I hear you about this thread and a lot of the conjecture raised.  But frankly (without trying to sound like a fanboy), I think we need to give Jerry the benefit of the doubt and stop all this negativity.  The guy has delivered time and time again and even though this product has had a lot of bumpy roads, I think we both agree, its going to turn out fantastic.  I have very high hopes that JHA will deliver the first batch of units in January.   Its clear as day TO ME at least that all of JHA is behind completing this project and delivering something wonderful.

Has anyone been denied a refund?  No.

Has anyone felt that JHA doesn't respond to emails, Facebook, etc. etc.?  No.

Do they read this thread?  Almost certainly.

Your heart is in a good place but the data so far does not warrant any rant about protecting HeadFi'ers from bad business practices or insinuating that they are holding hostage 180k.  I'm sorry, but if I was JHA and I read that last post from  you, I'd be like What: I am working day and night to get these issues resolved, I want this product out yesterday, chill and if you can't chill just ask for a refund and its yours no questions asked (albeit cold maybe, but the funds were delivered in an expedient fashion).

I don't see how anyone can even insinuate that JHA has not been upfront about this product.  Most companies would not EVEN TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENED (a team member leaving the project is a very serious problem) but just update the release date.  Finally, with holidays, a corporate move, and general life, I am surprised the Harvey's are all not on some kind of sedative.

So chill, relax, eat some left over fruitcake, and let's all have a little patience....

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #1,654 of 2,681
At the same time, I put Jerry on a pedestal, as a moderator, I was clearly stating facts. That is part of the job of being a moderator. Protecting the members. ~$180,000 is a huge amount of money, and it is probably the most money any MOT has ever had in their possession of the member's money in the history of Head-Fi.
And those facts are that there is a huge amount of money outstanding, and yes, as I have posted in the past, I have had an e-mail/voicemail go unanswered. So your statement is inaccurate.

Previously, I have held another member accountable for owing a lot of people money, got chastised for it, even raked over the coals, and look how that turned out. We had some members that were out over $10,000. Do I believe that will happen in this case, absolutely not.
But as an admin and a moderator, I feel that it was necessary to put things in perspective. I am not accusing anyone of anything, but if JHA were to close it's door tomorrow, a lot of money would be lost. This is nothing but fact. I don't need to take a chill pill over anything. This is a forum, and a brazen forum where people have no problems speaking their mind. 
You are not the one who gets a large amount of PM's each month from members, telling me how they got scammed out of a lot of money and there's nothing that anyone can do about it.

Again, I, in no way, believe this will ever be the case in this situation. But it is my responsibility to point out the facts so people can make a logical decision. Was it the right thing to do, by taking everyone's money on an unfinished product? Absolutely not. Perhaps a 20% down payment to help offshoot R&D money on the product. But in reality, that is not really our responsibility, unless we are shareholders.Trust is a huge part of being a member of the forum. And I played a role in that trust. I have no qualms about the situation. That is why I got out when I did. If the JH-3A started to ship before October, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Nothing that I said, was a statement of fiction. I am not accusing anyone of anything. I have always said that Jerry Harvey is one of the best men in the business. If I were him, I would have to have had some idea, that this was going to come up.
Do I think that this minor fiasco will eventually have a happy ending. Absolutely. But, fact is fact. Money was taken in advance, for an unfinished product that was still in it's infant stages, things went wrong (an unfortunate part of being in any business involving electronics), and we are discussing it here. That's all it is. Discussion. 

Alex, do not take this personally. There is no need for you to take on the responsibility of being part of the defense team.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #1,655 of 2,681
Thank you for acting this way, it makes me feel safer to know that this forum is being run with integrity.

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #1,656 of 2,681
I appreciate the positions of Trogdor - especially the fruitcake part! - and immtbiker's clear statement of facts in this long saga.   I think between these two posts we have with Trogdor's call for patience and immtbiker's perspective and statement of facts from which we can make any future decisions: get a re-fund; stay the course; never do business with JH Audio.   In addition, I am sure Jerry and his associates are also learning from us and this situation.  I also appreciate the fact that Jerry and his team are considered to be one of the best in the business.   Something for us t bear in mind as we wait.

For me personally, it was crystal clear that I was paying up-front for R&D.   This was clarified in a lengthy phone conversation with Jerry.   But I called to check.   That was my responsibility to understand for what my money was being used.   I also knew the risks of R&D: delays; the product not being as good as we all hoped; the company could fail in the process.   I was the one who made the decision to risk my money.   This was nothing but my decision.   Yes, I asked questions by phone and/or email (I only subscribe to Buttbook and JH Audio is not on that system) and have always received and clear responses.....always, but not necessarily as quickly as some on here may wish.

immtbiker - administratus and moderatus supremus-  gives us early investors a clear path to go: you can get a refund.   But, I am happy to follow Trogdor's suggestion: be patient and eat copious amounts of fruitcake.  The only addition to that would be to wash the cake down with ale!  I await my JH-3A with eagerness but also a full stomach and a quenched thirst.

Thanks to our eminent posters to laying out the decision tree.

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #1,657 of 2,681

Quote:
At the same time, I put Jerry on a pedestal, as a moderator, I was clearly stating facts. That is part of the job of being a moderator. Protecting the members. ~$180,000 is a huge amount of money, and it is probably the most money any MOT has ever had in their possession of the member's money in the history of Head-Fi.
And those facts are that there is a huge amount of money outstanding, and yes, as I have posted in the past, I have had an e-mail/voicemail go unanswered. So your statement is inaccurate.

Previously, I have held another member accountable for owing a lot of people money, got chastised for it, even raked over the coals, and look how that turned out. We had some members that were out over $10,000. Do I believe that will happen in this case, absolutely not.
But as an admin and a moderator, I feel that it was necessary to put things in perspective. I am not accusing anyone of anything, but if JHA were to close it's door tomorrow, a lot of money would be lost. This is nothing but fact. I don't need to take a chill pill over anything. This is a forum, and a brazen forum where people have no problems speaking their mind. 
You are not the one who gets a large amount of PM's each month from members, telling me how they got scammed out of a lot of money and there's nothing that anyone can do about it.

Again, I, in no way, believe this will ever be the case in this situation. But it is my responsibility to point out the facts so people can make a logical decision. Was it the right thing to do, by taking everyone's money on an unfinished product? Absolutely not. Perhaps a 20% down payment to help offshoot R&D money on the product. But in reality, that is not really our responsibility, unless we are shareholders.Trust is a huge part of being a member of the forum. And I played a role in that trust. I have no qualms about the situation. That is why I got out when I did. If the JH-3A started to ship before October, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Nothing that I said, was a statement of fiction. I am not accusing anyone of anything. I have always said that Jerry Harvey is one of the best men in the business. If I were him, I would have to have had some idea, that this was going to come up.
Do I think that this minor fiasco will eventually have a happy ending. Absolutely. But, fact is fact. Money was taken in advance, for an unfinished product that was still in it's infant stages, things went wrong (an unfortunate part of being in any business involving electronics), and we are discussing it here. That's all it is. Discussion. 

Alex, do not take this personally. There is no need for you to take on the responsibility of being part of the defense team.

As the last poster so nicely put, YOU MADE a decision to pre-order the JH3A knowing FULL WELL it was an unfinished product.  When I read your line of reasoning I get the impression that somehow you were duped by Jerry or mislead about the project.  He had a *prototype* at Canjam and expected a final release in August given the data he had at that time.  The product has been delayed twice: The first time was because of a team member who left who was in the critical path and the second time was due to a malfunction of a third-party vendor part.  Both of which are common hurdles companies face during the release of a new product.  The fact that we know this level of detail about the project shows how upfront and transparent Jerry wants to be.

Going back to the taking everybody's money first:  It is NOT uncommon to pre-pay upfront for various luxury items.  I agree with you that a smaller deposit makes more business sense.  However, JHA did what is best for them.  You don't like it, don't pre-pay for the JH3A and wait till its out.  I think you made a personal mistake by plunking down money when you didn't have good vibes about it.  It happens, we all do it, but to say it was WRONG is your OPINION, not FACT. 

Brittany offered refunds to everyone who wanted them after the first delay.  Everyone who has requested a refund AFAIK has gotten them with very little hassle and in timely fashion.   Furthermore, if you don't want to wait it out, here is another suggestion (and what a couple of folks have already implemented):  Ask for a refund, wait till the JH3A comes out, has a couple of reviews, then re-order it.

I am not a paid spoke person for JHA.  I don't even own anything MADE by JHA.  But I do feel they have been treated really unfairly in this thread and that gets me a little steamed.  I empathize with some of the points about how they could have done the pre-order, what is traditionally done by MOT on HeadFi (best practices etc.), but ultimately, JHA does what it thinks its best to deliver the highest quality product.  If you don't agree with either their product or business philosophies, don't buy it.   Otherwise, eat some fruitcake, drink some ale, and be patient.

In conclusion....I also don't believe in cables...wait a minute....

PS Happy New Year Aaron and here is to a lively 2011!  :)

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #1,658 of 2,681
One point to consider for those who have received or are considering a re-fund and possibly buying at a later stage: the actual building costs of the JH-3A maybe higher than the designers/developers expected and, therefore, the actual JH-3A sale price maybe higher than the pre-order price.   It's possible and another reason, in my opinion, for us early investors to stay the course, especially with JH Audio's excellent track record with product quality.   Just a thought.

That fruitcake and ale are so good!  Thanks Trogdor!

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #1,659 of 2,681
Not sure if when the JH3A is released I'll be more excited about receiving my new rig or this thread getting back on topic. 

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #1,660 of 2,681
Alex, I never felt duped and probably will buy one if the reviews are favorable. The possibility of it costing more is always a chance, unfortunately (and there's the unwritten law about never sending anything back in a restaurant 
smile.gif
). In the meantime, in the name of appeasing the upgraditis sickness that is part of being a Head-Fier, I will probably have to buy a SR-71B Balanced with cable, or hope that the balanced HM-801 amp module will be available soon.

@blessingx, really, there is no way to get this thread back on track until it starts to land on people's doorsteps. So we either have to let the thread run dry, or continue it's given path. There's really nothing that anyone can really say about it, that hasn't already been said. By the way, I vote for the latter...receiving your new rig.

I will bow out of making anymore comments in this thread, in the name of keeping things on track. Sorry for any pain I might have caused in my postings. Seriously. I'm human too.

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #1,661 of 2,681

Quote:
Alex, I never felt duped and probably will buy one if the reviews are favorable. The possibility of it costing more is always a chance, unfortunately (and there's the unwritten law about never sending anything back in a restaurant 
smile.gif
). In the meantime, in the name of appeasing the upgraditis sickness that is part of being a Head-Fier, I will probably have to buy a SR-71B Balanced with cable, or hope that the balanced HM-801 amp module will be available soon.

@blessingx, really, there is no way to get this thread back on track until it starts to land on people's doorsteps. So we either have to let the thread run dry, or continue it's given path. There's really nothing that anyone can really say about it, that hasn't already been said. By the way, I vote for the latter...receiving your new rig.

I will bow out of making anymore comments in this thread, in the name of keeping things on track. Sorry for any pain I might have caused in my postings. Seriously. I'm human too.

Aaron, thanks for your long-time service and dedication to the Head-Fi community and the interests of its members, regardless of what happens with the JH-3A.  I think that had not been voiced enough--although I agree with most of Trogdor's standpoint on the issue with a notable exception about the benefits of high-quality cables--because the passion you have demonstrated time and time again is what makes this site special and worth visiting.

I intend to review the JH-3A and compare it against the SR71B/JH16 Pro combo.  Since I was the first victing.....er, the first enthusiast to place an order, I should be one of the first to get it for better or worse whenever it gets released.  It should be an interesting comparo of an amp with an active DSP vs. a fully balanced one.

Until then, Happy New Year to all!

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #1,662 of 2,681
Small update, production units arrive 2nd week of January and should be shipped out then.  Also I am told the mini-optical out from my MBP should *just* work with the JH3A (no need for the HiFace which will be god sent since the damn driver panics enough to really piss me off). 

I asked Jerry directly if he could please test direct connecting the MBP with the JH3A when the production units arrive.

I am seriously stoked...

Happy New Year Everyone!

PS I too am out of this thread till the week of the 10th.  See you then.

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #1,664 of 2,681

Quote:
[...] Also I am told the mini-optical out from my MBP should *just* work with the JH3A (no need for the HiFace which will be god sent since the damn driver panics enough to really piss me off). 

This means we get an optical input!??!!? This is the first I've heard.

If true, this sucker would have USB, SPDIF, toslink optical, and analog for input options!

Edit: oh duh; thank you, blessingx. SPDIF is toslink, too.

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #1,665 of 2,681

Thanks for the kind words. They mean a lot.

Quote:
Aaron, thanks for your long-time service and dedication to the Head-Fi community and the interests of its members, regardless of what happens with the JH-3A. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back