JH Audio JH-3A
Dec 16, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #1,486 of 2,681
A lot of us would-be first timers bought on faith from the buzz from those of you with stellar service a year back.  Starting off even w/ my original JH16 purchase once they had the money communication became very spotty.  Really should have thought it through some more before I downgraded back to the JH16, I do like their sound but my experience and what some others say here really reflect the type of company I do not like to support.

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #1,487 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:
I think that is just how Brittany is in general.  I remember at Canjam that Jerry was super nice, chill, and enthusiatic about the products he came up with.  Really personable and great guy to talk to overall.  The problem is that once it came down to the business aspect of it all, things get handed over to Brittany, and I too didn't really love her attitude when I met her in person.  Not a very personable person...and you could tell she wasn't as involved with this audio hobby as Jerry was.

So therein I think lies the problem with most people's complaints about JHA.  When they have to deal with problems, transactions, etc. it's always with Brittany, who I don't think many people like.  If Jerry had the time to deal with everybody on a personal case to case basis, I think many would be a lot more sympathetic.

I myself have never spoken or ever emailed Jerry so i dont know what he is like firt hand, i originally spoke with britanny befor i placed my order on a couple of occasions over the phones before i placed my order and she was always very nice and polite and she was the same when i had phones her about the 3A, that is untill i suggested i might want a refund when she just totally changed her mood.

I think she is probably not pleased at all that there are so many people asking for refunds... thus possibly killing the project even further. Either way though, all these CS horror stories are holding me back from ordering from JH Audio despite of Jerry's talents. Kinda sad, because that amp really sounds like it'd be something special... but without the faith of its customers, I am not so sure if this will tide over easily.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #1,488 of 2,681
I think everybody needs to chill a little bit.  I know that it gets very frustrating waiting all this time, the most recent turn of events (bad bass volume knob) was totally out of their control and they are doing their best to get things done as fast as possible.  I'm sure it doesn't help speed things up that christmas is around the corner and things are moving slowly in the manufacturing world.  I'm sure that the company is pretty frustrated themselves since it is the first time they are relying on outsourcing a component vs. being able to keep everything in house.  Delays and people backing out because of this amp/dsp unit is bad financially and for their PR, and I'm sure they know that.

If you want to remind yourself about what a great revolutionary product this will be, just re-read the frist page of this thread....you'll see that this is no ordinary product being released but the first of its kind.  Jerry is still the one in charge of the development and I fully trust him that he won't release a dud or something that isn't up to his very high standard, especially after all these delays.  If he said it will be as good or better than what we heard at Canjam, then I'm pretty sure he'll make sure that it turns out that way.

I too started getting jittery about keeping my pre-order with all the stories being thrown around, but in my mind JHA is still the company to beat for IEMs and I'm pretty sure that once this stupid drama with all the delays is over, people will all forget about these past few months.  Just look at the original HD800 thread and how pissed people were about all the delays...and that was Sennheiser we are talking about!

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #1,489 of 2,681

[size=medium]
I'm still with them, this latest dalay isnt their mistake. Also my JH13 is already in their lab for modification, so I'm not sure if I even can go for refund. 

I still belive that this Jerry's product will be as good as others.
[/size]

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 16, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #1,490 of 2,681

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what happened to Tyll, founder of Headroom?

Tyll took on some partners when he needed a bankroll for his newest ideas, and I don't know what ever deal they worked out, but eventually Tyll was put in a position to have to step down to a lower position, and then eventually got forced out. Tyll is now pursuing other avenues in his career.

Quote:

Well i phoned to ask if they had any idea how much longer i would have to wait and was told they could not give me a time frame so i asked if i could have a refund and was told by brittany that i should have expected things like this to happen and that now she is going to have to cantact her bank to have the refund issued which is going to take her away from her work in actually trying to get the 3A out. I dont think there was any need for her to make such a comment, if they had given me what i had payed for on time then i would not have had to ask for a refund. I also had no intention to ask when i phoned but the way she spoke on the phone was really rude and i dont want to deal with such people.

Of course this is speculation, but that comment was made by a person who has a less than stellar side. Unless Brittany is playing an active roll in research and design, and the JH-3A is available for delivery, then how could it possibly "'take her away from her work in actually trying to get the 3A out." She is probably very frustrated in the recent events which is totally understandable, but the customers are the last people who should be exposed to a comment like that. The customer is King and the reason for being in business in the first place. I have been in the Customer Service industry for 31 years as an Electronic Field Engineer, and have felt as much wrath from customers as anyone else, but I still have to put on my smiley face and treat each customer as the reason that I am working and making a living. 

Quote:

You ever see how loud he listens to his own equipment?
I believe you Aaron, he definitely doesn't have low volumes! 
wink_face.gif

Good one, Alex!

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #1,491 of 2,681
Does anyone have a clue if they've done actual work on new shells, etc. on individual orders yet? 

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #1,492 of 2,681
Aaron's words are spot on...seriously....customer is king in this case...

I think the problem here is Brittany is taking it personally and she really shouldn't.  She is a really nice person when you just talk with her or send email about updates/status she is open and honest.  She has never been nasty with me and has even put me in direct contact with Jerry at times.

Even though I am totally with Jerry till the end, I think losing someone like Aaron in this sale is VERY VERY BAD for them.  I think Brittany or whoever should read this thread, not get defensive, and just realize that a simple call to Mr immtbiker would have netted them another $1800 bucks and learn from it.

Right now, I don't want any more dates from JHA until its completely 100% done ready to ship.  I think Jerry is probably in that mode now too.  This has to be one of the most frustrating projects he has been on - everything that could go wrong, HAS GONE WRONG.

I cross my fingers for a January release since given the last comment - again - they seem 99% done (I mean a POT is really no big deal).

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #1,493 of 2,681

Quote:
I cross my fingers for a January release since given the last comment - again - they seem 99% done (I mean a POT is really no big deal).

Question of cause is if it is the pot machanically that is the problem or what the dsp software does when the pot is turned that is the problem

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #1,494 of 2,681
Trogdor, you never know about the pot. A different model might require a change in PCB layout and alter the case. One little thing like that can cause a lot of redesign.

I'm still very interested in this after a listen at CanJam. Though I will not order until the product ships and gets picked over by owners before making a final decision. I don't like putting money down for something still in development. I have high hopes for this, however. It sounded wonderful.

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #1,495 of 2,681
I always wondered why people praised JH's service so much.   My JH16's took 6 months to get to me from the time I ordered.  

This new development is very sad.  I hope they get their act together because their sound is good.  And I could be wrong, but they must be making more off the public than the "celebrtities."  Don't bite the hand that feeds you.  With that said, where would JH be without Head-Fi?  This forum will make or break you.  

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #1,496 of 2,681
Quote:
I think everybody needs to chill a little bit.  I know that it gets very frustrating waiting all this time, the most recent turn of events (bad bass volume knob) was totally out of their control and they are doing their best to get things done as fast as possible.  I'm sure it doesn't help speed things up that christmas is around the corner and things are moving slowly in the manufacturing world.  I'm sure that the company is pretty frustrated themselves since it is the first time they are relying on outsourcing a component vs. being able to keep everything in house.  Delays and people backing out because of this amp/dsp unit is bad financially and for their PR, and I'm sure they know that.
If you want to remind yourself about what a great revolutionary product this will be, just re-read the frist page of this thread....you'll see that this is no ordinary product being released but the first of its kind.  Jerry is still the one in charge of the development and I fully trust him that he won't release a dud or something that isn't up to his very high standard, especially after all these delays.  If he said it will be as good or better than what we heard at Canjam, then I'm pretty sure he'll make sure that it turns out that way.

sage advice, Alex. i just spoke with Brittany. they have most of the parts to get the jh3as together but are waiting on one more thing (the pot?). Jerry is promising to deliver something at least as good as, if not better, than what was shown at canjam, and i have little doubt that this will be the case. this is a ground breaking product - a real game changer, based on what i heard at canjam. while expensive, it's an entire system and won't require mucking about (although i know that some people love this part of it - mixing and matching and playing until they get what's just right for them). i think that the sonic results will be very high and that people have spent a lot more than this for headphone/amp combos with lesser results.
they will be posting an update to their Facebook page in a little while discussing more of this.  it sounds like the first units should be delivered in (early) January. she also mentioned that there will be some sort of bonus for those of you that are currently on the pre-order list.
keep in mind that they are a small company and have their hands full. they are also in the midst of moving to a new facility, which has to be a distraction to development and production. you should be getting your units in the foreseeable future. i can't wait to hear the reports, although i think i know how they're generally going to read. 
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #1,497 of 2,681
Yup, they just posted on facebook confirming the 2nd week of January, which is good news!  i was hoping it would be a christmas present to myself, but I guess I'll have to wait a couple extra weeks, I can live with that.  Bonus is a JHA hoodie which is quite nice considering that the apparel on their website is pretty cool looking.

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #1,498 of 2,681
I totally agree with this part.  I feel that just about everybody how is buying JH13/16s is either buying a pico slim / protector, which pretty much equates to the same price once you factor in LODs, recables, etc.  To my ears, at Canjam the JH-3a was on a different level than the protector/JH13 that I heard right next to it.

Quote:
 while expensive, it's an entire system and won't require mucking about (although i know that some people love this part of it - mixing and matching and playing until they get what's just right for them). i think that the sonic results will be very high and that people have spent a lot more than this for headphone/amp combos with lesser results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back