JH Audio JH-3A
Dec 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #1,501 of 2,681
So I just got an email about the Algorhythm solo being finished and it is now able to be preorderd. But I see it is obviously limited to outputting 16/44 from the Ipod/phone family. As the JHA can handle more than that through the SPDIF it seems like a better way to go is to get digital out of a computer and not be limited. Is that the current thought here? I would like to use higher resolution files if possible. What is the name of the device that can pull 24/192 from the computer that everyone is so impressed with? I forgot the name and was thinking of ordering it. I remember it was a small USB device.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #1,502 of 2,681
It's called the M2Tech Hiface, which outputs spidf out of the computer jitter free.  Technically if you hook that up to the JH-3A you can get 24/96 high res natively out of your computer.  Regarding the algorhythm solo, from my understanding is that on the iPod is pulls 16/44 files, but if you were to hook up to a computer it would probably do 24/96 natively.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #1,503 of 2,681

Quote:
It's called the M2Tech Hiface, which outputs spidf out of the computer jitter free.  Technically if you hook that up to the JH-3A you can get 24/96 high res natively out of your computer.  Regarding the algorhythm solo, from my understanding is that on the iPod is pulls 16/44 files, but if you were to hook up to a computer it would probably do 24/96 natively.

Thanks for that. Well if it does higher from the computer what is the purpose if one has an M2Tech Hiface which is smaller and more portable? I believe it is also much cheaper. If I am going to use hires and need a computer I might as well reduce my components and get the Hiface.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #1,505 of 2,681
Yeah, if you wanted to pull audio from your computer, the algorythm solo would be completely useless especially since you can get the Hiface for 100-150 these days.  I'm even wondering how good a reference level dac would be feeding in to the JH3A since it has it's own dac inside which everything passes through for dsp.
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for that. Well if it does higher from the computer what is the purpose if one has an M2Tech Hiface which is smaller and more portable? I believe it is also much cheaper. If I am going to use hires and need a computer I might as well reduce my components and get the Hiface.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #1,506 of 2,681
Quote:
Yeah, if you wanted to pull audio from your computer, the algorythm solo would be completely useless especially since you can get the Hiface for 100-150 these days.  I'm even wondering how could a reference level dac would be feeding in to the JH3A since it has it's own dac inside which everything passes through for dsp.

does it have a regular dac? i thought it just did dsp as part of the active crossover & amp processing.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #1,507 of 2,681
It doesn't output anything like a standalone DAC, but yes, it acts as a DAC, sending 6 channels through to the amp section. (stereo x 3)

(And if you feed the 3A an analog signal, it has to convert to digital before processing and going back to analog.)

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #1,510 of 2,681

Quote:
I know we would need an RCA hiface. I heard the BNC one sounds better. Could I buy the BNC version and then get a BNC to RCA converter or does that defeat the purpose of better sound?

the 3A uses a minijack SPDIF connection, so you could just get a cable terminated BNC on one end and minijack on the other, or just as easily get a cable with RCA on one end and minijack on the other...

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #1,511 of 2,681
Wow, latest JH-3A update: "On track for shipment 2nd. week January". Just ordered the AlgoRythm Solo this morning and now this. I'm all set for a great 2011, now just have to get the cabling and carry case sorted out. Happy, happy day!

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #1,512 of 2,681
I still don't understand why the Solo is a good solution?  You are going to be clocking at the lowest rate and playing probably a bunch of lossy files....over 2k spent....

Not saying it won't sound better, but to sacrifice all that portability seems non-sensical to me.  The JH3A is a desktop solution AFAIK.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #1,513 of 2,681
Agreed!  While I really appreciate the advancements in technology over the past few years, the price of the Solo/Alo Transcription Mk2 is just a little steep at $1000 for playing out of an iPod.  Plus the portability and amount of cabling going between the ipod / solo / mk2 / headphones gets a little ridiculous.   Did you notice how none of the pictures on ALO's website show all three units stacked together?  That huge brick wouldn't be portable at that point...

And yes, to my ears the JH3a easily rivalled and outperformed most other full-size headphones and amps at Canjam....and that was a set of universals through a beta version of the unit plugged straight into an iPod.  But thats just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt :)

Quote:
I still don't understand why the Solo is a good solution?  You are going to be clocking at the lowest rate and playing probably a bunch of lossy files....over 2k spent....

Not saying it won't sound better, but to sacrifice all that portability seems non-sensical to me.  The JH3A is a desktop solution AFAIK.

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #1,514 of 2,681

this statement makes me jump with joy ! lmao

Quote:
Agreed!  While I really appreciate the advancements in technology over the past few years, the price of the Solo/Alo Transcription Mk2 is just a little steep at $1000 for playing out of an iPod.  Plus the portability and amount of cabling going between the ipod / solo / mk2 / headphones gets a little ridiculous.   Did you notice how none of the pictures on ALO's website show all three units stacked together?  That huge brick wouldn't be portable at that point...

And yes, to my ears the JH3a easily rivalled and outperformed most other full-size headphones and amps at Canjam....and that was a set of universals through a beta version of the unit plugged straight into an iPod.

Quote:

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #1,515 of 2,681
There is no doubt that out of all of the portable combos that I've heard since entering this hobby, the JH-3A with my JH-13's (had the 16's on order) is the best sounding portable I have ever heard using flac files. That is what made me pull out my wallet without hesitation. That was the original design. 
I'm hoping that the newer design sounds equal to or better than what was exhibited at the show. We won't know until the first units hit the street, but one can hope.
The HM-801 comes in second and the iMod comes in third, and price points reflects the placings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back