JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Feb 22, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #8,506 of 10,743

Quote:
I have a question for all you happy JH13 owners (of whom I am exceedingly envious):
Since you got the JH13, have you gotten rid of/stopped using your full-sized headphones at home, if you have any?

After I got my UE-11 I sold my complete desktop set up (HD-650, DV332). Haven't received my JH13 yet though & I'm browsing the classifieds everyday looking for god knows what....

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #8,510 of 10,743
roy_jones :

Quote here from Jerry Harvey on JH13 versus JH16.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=258462062282

I would have to say the added small bass boost on JH13 is what saves it from being classified as bass lite and perhaps too neutral over the long haul.  I could have very well been coming frm an ER4, CK10  or REO or a DBA-02 and upon first impression, considered the JH13 a bass monster.  I am sure you have read many reviews on JH13 and VERY few say they are bass lite so sorry if my original post threw you off.  I can attest that unless you are a basshead, JH13 bass should be plenty adequate.  For every "bass-lite" post I read about JH13 I have also read a "too much, too bloated" regarding JH16.  Not very many at all but a few in both camps.  I suspect for the type of music I listen to the JH13 was the right choice.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #8,511 of 10,743
From that link I just posted above, there is a sentence saying:

"The JH16 offers more bottom end capacity and therefore will take more low-end input."

Is this saying the JH16 requires an amp moreso than the JH13?

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #8,513 of 10,743
The JH-13s have plenty enough bass for me. I'm still burning in my new TWAG OM V.2 cable, so can't say how that'll sound after the suggested 300 hours.  Love the JH-13s even with the stock cables and even without fully burned-in TWAGs.

I wouldn't give up my full-size headphones (PS1000/GS1000i/HD800)  for nuthin', though I am trying to sell off my noncustom IEMs, save one or two for the gym or on the road (I travel overseas every so often).

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #8,515 of 10,743

No, it means jh16 can handle some extreme bassy music without any ign of distortion.

And read on. :wink:

"(...) an artist may want to hear (...) a large 50hz boost (more than you would ever hear on a recording) and at a much louder volume than most people would listen. The earpiece needs to have more headroom and capacity so as not to distort at that volume level." (JH)

It's not the music or recording that's bassy. It's the JH16s that make it sound bass heavy.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #8,516 of 10,743

Quote:
Interesting! Despite the UE11 being bassy, you didn't take to the 16?

I couldn't get on with the treble presentation. I think it must be my ear canals & the very close placing of the high frequency armatures within them. To me, the JH16 & JH13 sounded wildly different. I did like the bass though, but didn't find the JH13 lacking at all.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #8,518 of 10,743
@nuwidol - that was my impression (no pun intended) as well when i tried the jh16 and jh13 side by side with the noncustom plugs. 

the jh13 has more than enough bass and is just nicely balanced throughout.  it was a no-brainer choice, for me at least, between the two  (granted, i have a slight hearing loss on the highs) -

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #8,520 of 10,743
Quote:
 I'm demo-ing a pair of JH13's right now and I can identify what what you're saying about their bass--doesn't seem lacking to me at all.

why would it? they are not lacking in bass. they're designed to sound like real music. the very low frequency boost compensates (somewhat) for the lack of bodily sensation you get from hearing a live source creating the lowest bass frequencies. if you know what live (especially acoustic) music sounds like then you'll know that the 13s are not lacking anywhere. unfortunately it seems that many who opine on this site have little experience listening to the real deal. for a long time after it came out people here were putting it up there with virtually any transducer made, and many of those folks have heard or own many of the top transducers. over time you expect some other views to come forth but to deny that it is essentially an accurate, and musical sounding, device would make me wonder about someone's listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back