JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Feb 12, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #8,478 of 10,743

Quote:
Quote:
Damaged drivers maybe?

Jeez, I would hope not.  They are brand new.  Only 30 minutes on them.  JH5 is rather thick and heavy sounding by comparison so my ears may need to adjust but I will say it again....what are al of these drivers doing.?  MUCH more neutral than I figured.

Well, the bass is quite strong with my JH13Pro, so if you have a good seal and isolation I'd be worried about a problem with the unit.  However, if you live for bass like the W3, ED9, D5000 or IE8 then you may be disappointed, although my JH13Pro can keep up with an LCD-2 or D7000 in the bass department.

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #8,479 of 10,743
Quote:
Well, the bass is quite strong with my JH13Pro, so if you have a good seal and isolation I'd be worried about a problem with the unit.  However, if you live for bass like the W3, ED9, D5000 or IE8 then you may be disappointed, although my JH13Pro can keep up with an LCD-2 or D7000 in the bass department.

For me, I find the bass on the JH13s to be really good, deep and readily discernible in tone and differences in pitch.   I would go a shade beyond "quite strong"!  I listen mostly to classical music (and some jazz) and what I find amazing about the JH13s is the ability to hear clearly the musical line in the low, low bass notes.

So, I agree with HeadphoneAddict that you could have a problem with the unit.  There is bass in spades with the JH13s.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #8,480 of 10,743
No I agree with you about being able to discern tones.  JH13 does extend VERY deep in that regard.  No problem with the unit.  I just needed a few hours for my ears to adjust.  Theyare pretty amazing.  Pristine, clean and articulate.  NOTHING left on the table, it all goes into your ears.  It's a whole new standard.
JH5 versus JH13 thread to follow soon for more analysis.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #8,481 of 10,743
Got the 13's back, very quickly, great service.  Upon first tests, the footfall/walking thump is still there
frown.gif
 and the 13's are now noticably uncomfortable, too big for my ear canals.  So they were right at first and i just have bone conductivity that is unfixable.  So now the question is, can i adapt to or can my ear canals stretch enough to be able to use these when possible or do i have to resend them back yet again to have them put back the way they just were.   What a nightmare, it was a bad decision to try to get them right but i guess i had to try so i could put a rest to it.  Just another $26. to send back two day again to add to the costs.  So far, four round trips since i got them and two audiologists.  Oh and April-Sept to get them right the first time.

The only shining star here is how great the staff has been at JHaudio.  They are gems.

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #8,482 of 10,743
Dave (great name!
wink.gif
), i'm not sure that your problem is bone conduction. iirc, you previously described the problem disappearing if you applied finger pressure to the shells. i'm wondering if the problem is not in the ear canal portion, but rather in how it fills your concha. it sounds like it's moving around there since you are able to simply arrest the problem with light pressure to the outside of the unit.

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #8,483 of 10,743
I overnighted them back. My left ear was throbbing in the middle of the night. At this point I just want to get them back to usable in limited situations. I should have been happy how they were I guess. Lesson learned. If they were here in LA and I could just drive in and describe the problem and experiment it would be one thing, but the cross country shipping just to check the fit every time is just insane.

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #8,484 of 10,743
yup. with all the money spent shipping you probably could have flown to JHA and have had the issues dealt with while you waited!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #8,487 of 10,743
the definition of portable seems to have changed over the last couple of years. now it seems anything larger than a nano and iems is no longer considered portable in some quarters. a few years ago a portable system was a small cd player + a headroom supreme (several times larger than current portable amps) + a battery pack + a cd case + a bunch of cables + a headroom travelers bag + senn hd580s. and folks were absolutely thrilled to be able to carry a high quality sound system with them!. the jh3a is an amp, somewhat larger than the current weenie amps, + iems + source. i don't see it as non-portable set up, unless one is concerned about being out and about with something so valuable.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #8,488 of 10,743
I don't think the 3A seems un-portable. I tried to change my JH16 order to the JH3A when I realised how SMALL the amp was. Wasn't to be though as my IEMs actually shipped to me on the day I requested the change.
My regular portable amp (and by portable I mean sits in my pocket) is an SR71-A which isn't a lot less bulk than the JH3A system.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #8,490 of 10,743

Quote:
the definition of portable seems to have changed over the last couple of years. now it seems anything larger than a nano and iems is no longer considered portable in some quarters. a few years ago a portable system was a small cd player + a headroom supreme (several times larger than current portable amps) + a battery pack + a cd case + a bunch of cables + a headroom travelers bag + senn hd580s. and folks were absolutely thrilled to be able to carry a high quality sound system with them!. the jh3a is an amp, somewhat larger than the current weenie amps, + iems + source. i don't see it as non-portable set up, unless one is concerned about being out and about with something so valuable.

Of course it has. And that's when we talk about "changing the game".

You're talking about an iPod. For me iPod was clearly a game changer. I don't see many "Walkmans" (brand name, so I guess it's not "Walkmen:wink: around anymore - neither tape/CD nor mini disk. It also created a whole new market, even though mp3 was already invented.

Carrying around an amp is not really something to desire for a portable system today.
People were actually happy to have gotten rid of anything extra (your list e.g.) to carry around.
Going back that road with an extra amp, connector cables, in-ears + box, player and probably an extra bag for it? I don't think so.
The sound quality could be twice as good as my current JH-13s, I wouldn't carry around an amp.  
For me it's definitely the less the better. 

There are and always be certainly people who'd like to stand out or try to be something special (Recent vinyl hype despite all technical reason. Anybody ever asked why there's no VHS hype - the picture quality is so much better?) and you might run into somebody carrying all this stuff - fine. A game changer? Nope. 

Computers used to be as big as rooms and back than people were stunned by their performance, which seems ridiculous compared to nowadays computer technology.
Would you, as a private person and casual user, dedicate an extra room for a new computer if it's twice as fast as todays top computer systems? 

Building an active in-ear system (JH-A is not the first nor only company btw)  might be a starting point for something new but as long as it's not portable enough we're not there, yet.

For a dedicated home listening rig and if somebody is willing to spent the dough on one of the possible best ear-/ headphone systems around, be my guest. As a portable device - no way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back