JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Feb 24, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #8,536 of 10,743

Quote:

I'm also curious as to who's running their 13 straight from an iPod/iPhone? I read a very short thread on 13 vs 16 with an iPod only, and it was only then that I realised the different impedances (28 vs 18 ohms, I think). 

I'm running the JH13 straight out of a 3g Nano.  I find the sound excellent.  While I am pushing the volume to 80-90% the signal is clear, full and free from distortion.  Nothing harsh or siblant in any way.  If anything a very welcome warmness considering all the detail you get with these.

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #8,537 of 10,743

Quote:
Larry: is a Slim a transparent, or a bassy amp?

I'm also curious as to who's running their 13 straight from an iPod/iPhone? I read a very short thread on 13 vs 16 with an iPod only, and it was only then that I realised the different impedances (28 vs 18 ohms, I think). 

I run my 13's straight from an iphone 3gs for a majority of my head time. I use them during my commute, when I run, lift, work and all times in between and have never found myself disappointed, far from it. I still have many "a-ha" moments and crap eating grins, almost a year later, with only a 3gs and without fancy amps, dacs, etc (of which I've also owned and used my 13's with). They are so easy to drive and sound so amazing, for me at the moment, simple plug and play into an iphone 3gs and go, it rocks. Currently, when I want amplify, I add a splash of Canadian Club....

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #8,540 of 10,743

Quote:
Well i got them back again, the best fit i have had i think, the right side totally disappears, the left may take a bit of getting used to but it is better.  They twist in perfectly now, it used to be that i had to lubricate a touch.  The noise is still there but maybe not as strong as before.  The side that was really bad before is better than the side that was the good side.  So overall improvement.  I am listening on my home rig now.  The sound of these is nothing short of stunning.

nice to see its finally working for u Dallan.
i havent listened to my 13s for over a month now( Egyptian revolution
wink.gif
)  and i just had a session listening to Loreena Mckennitt's An ancient muse and it sound sublime as always.
i dont visit headfi anymore and no need to upgrade thanks to jh13,so its a win-win situation!
i'll come back in a few months to see the new FOTM.
see you guys later.

cheers.

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #8,541 of 10,743

Quote:
nice to see its finally working for u Dallan.
i havent listened to my 13s for over a month now( Egyptian revolution
wink.gif
)  and i just had a session listening to Loreena Mckennitt's An ancient muse and it sound sublime as always.
i dont visit headfi anymore and no need to upgrade thanks to jh13,so its a win-win situation!
i'll come back in a few months to see the new FOTM.
see you guys later.

cheers.

You will be missed.

Oh and it is not working for me.  On first try i thought/hoped that the walking crashes would be gone but they ended up being same as usual.  In fact i really think it is bone conduction or whatever because even if i just take my knuckles and bump my hip with them, i hear it loudly in my 13's.  Walking with them is deafening.  I can not even turn up the music enough to hear over my footsteps.  It sucks.  

Even though they sound great when i am sitting and they are nice to have, esp when i infrequently am on a plane, they end up my worst audio expenditure by a big margin I'm afraid.

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #8,542 of 10,743

Quote:

For clarification, I suppose a handful of guys would prefer a bassier sounding IEM given the fact I find the AMOUNT of bass on JH13 to be slightly less than W3, UM3X and perhaps just a tiny bit less than SE535 but a tiny bit more than GR10.  But from a quality standpoint (texture and tone) it kills them all mercilessly. It has a ton more bass than ER4P if that also helps.  

sorry to bring that up,but are you sure you have a good fit? no way jh13 bass is less than um3x. if thats how you hear it, i would suggest to address the problem to Adam because it should be stronger than um3x( i had it).
hope thats help.
cheers.

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #8,543 of 10,743
midoo1990.  I am sure the fit is good and my ears have adjusted.  As I start to try other unamped sources (I-Phone, Classic) the bass is very adequate actually.  The extension as far as going down REAL low with huge texture is BY FAR the greatest I have ever heard.  Listening to some Christian McBride and he makes the upright bass sing!  With ALL of my previous IEM's the tonality and texture sort of all blended together as he goes up and down but it's quite graphic with the JH13.

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #8,544 of 10,743

Quote:

You will be missed.

Oh and it is not working for me.  On first try i thought/hoped that the walking crashes would be gone but they ended up being same as usual.  In fact i really think it is bone conduction or whatever because even if i just take my knuckles and bump my hip with them, i hear it loudly in my 13's.  Walking with them is deafening.  I can not even turn up the music enough to hear over my footsteps.  It sucks.  

Even though they sound great when i am sitting and they are nice to have, esp when i infrequently am on a plane, they end up my worst audio expenditure by a big margin I'm afraid.

Your experience, and the experience of those like you, is the sole reason that I haven't jumped in the world of customs.  Not even so much the issue with sound transmission, although I'd certainly find that annoying, but the possible issue of poor fit. 

What I find so confusing about your experience is that it doesn't make sense that you're alone in having this experience, if your fit is correct, which it sounds like it is from your description.  Yours, in theory, should be the average users experience.  I'm assuming you've had other IEM's that haven't presented this problem...?

I've been frustrated that I can't run with IEM's, due to the issue you're experiencing, but never where I couldn't walk with them.   

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #8,545 of 10,743

Quote:
Your experience, and the experience of those like you, is the sole reason that I haven't jumped in the world of customs.  Not even so much the issue with sound transmission, although I'd certainly find that annoying, but the possible issue of poor fit. 

What I find so confusing about your experience is that it doesn't make sense that you're alone in having this experience, if your fit is correct, which it sounds like it is from your description.  Yours, in theory, should be the average users experience.  I'm assuming you've had other IEM's that haven't presented this problem...?

I've been frustrated that I can't run with IEM's, due to the issue you're experiencing, but never where I couldn't walk with them.   

i run with my 13's all the time, though as a PSA never do so on a street, you want to be able to hear the cars 
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #8,546 of 10,743

Quote:

You will be missed.

hey dallan, how do you wear/route your cables? 

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #8,547 of 10,743

Quote:

hey dallan, how do you wear/route your cables? 

It is not the cables, it is completely independent of them.  I can tap my hip and hear thumping in my ear.  I can pick up and hold the cable and hold it away from me and the thumping is the same, it is a different quality than hitting the cable with my fingers.  

I have had the thumping with other iem's but it is not as intense or interfering on the music as with these.  It could be they are acrylic, as someone said earlier.  After wearing for a while, over 15 minutes if i walk very very gently and flatfooted my left ear is slightly better and my right may be.  Seems like right at first it is extreme crashing and if i grin and bare it through the first ten minutes it gets marginally better.  I think the ear tissue seals around them.  Also if i push in hard on the right side, which is worse, it seems to get more secure or something and it goes from crashing to just thumping as long as i am very gentle in my strides.  But basically tapping on my head or hip causes noise.  Pushing them lightly with my finger and almost no pressure at all grounds them or something and the thumping basically vanishes......but tightening them(thru refitting) doesn't help, only causes extreme discomfort.

It is very frustrating, i do have another audiologist (Frances M.) who was mentioned here as one of the top in the country, who i found out was in LA about ten minutes from me.  I asked here about the Westone custom since it is not acrylic and I may go see her.  Not holding my breath, I am again at my wits end with it after another round of frustrating refitting.  Like i said earlier, i am sure envious of you guys who can wear these with impunity.

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #8,549 of 10,743
I'm planning to purchase my first Custom IEM in the following week. I've narrowed it down between the Westone ES5, JH13, and JH16.

Could anyone give me some advice on why the JH13 or JH16 would be suitable for me?

From the thread I created regarding my purchase:

Here are my top priorities for my first custom IEM:

In order of importance:

1. Clarity

2. Detail

3. Mid-range detail

4. Bass Impact

5. Build Quality & Comfort

6. Bass Extension

7. Treble Extension

8. Speed

9. Soundstage & Imaging

10. Micro-detail

And here are some genres that I listen to:

J-Pop (~30%)

Jazz (~25%)

Piano & Classical (~15%)

Orchestral (~15%)

Rock (~15%)

Some other attributes I am seeking:

1) Neutral sound signature, while still being able to deliver on bass impact when necessary (not excessively or smearing the spectrum). I do not prefer more bass quantity/impact over clarity, however I enjoy my bass and want a tight bass response that is not bloated.

2) Analytical while maintaining a musical touch (if you've heard the EarSonics SM3--just a bit more analytical than the SM3).

3) Airiness. Soundstage should not be too wide to the point where the music loses cohesiveness.

4) Should be able to run very well through my Cowon S9, and not require an amp to sound near its best.

5) Should sound very good without having to crank up the volume (I do not exceed 60% volume on my Cowon S9).

I am currently using EarSonics SM3s, and they have been very satisfying (owner for almost a year now). However, I want to get more clarity and less warmth, with more treble extension--while keeping the bass impact near the EarSonics SM3 level.

Thank you for any help!

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #8,550 of 10,743
SV, try contacting some of the recommended audiologists in the ny area and see if they have universal versions of the iems to try (and please post your experiences here based on the instructions in the first post: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/440466/the-audiologists-impressions-thread-pun-most-definitely-intended )

another possible choice for you, since you like the sm3, is their custom iem, ear sonics em3 pro:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/473930/against-jh-ue-driver-wars-a-first-view-of-earsonics-em3-pro-customs#post_6422548

i'm guessing tht the correct order for you, of the choices you mentioned is es5>jh13>jh16, but i certainly could be wrong. and it'd probably be hard for you to go wrong with any of them.
but go to a good audiologist for your impressions, as that can be critical. i'd recommend contacting Beth Orliss (see the audiogists impressions thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back