JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Mar 3, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #8,551 of 10,743

Quote:
I'm planning to purchase my first Custom IEM in the following week. I've narrowed it down between the Westone ES5, JH13, and JH16.

Could anyone give me some advice on why the JH13 or JH16 would be suitable for me?

From the thread I created regarding my purchase:

Here are my top priorities for my first custom IEM:

In order of importance:

1. Clarity

2. Detail

3. Mid-range detail

4. Bass Impact

5. Build Quality & Comfort

6. Bass Extension

7. Treble Extension

8. Speed

9. Soundstage & Imaging

10. Micro-detail

And here are some genres that I listen to:

J-Pop (~30%)

Jazz (~25%)

Piano & Classical (~15%)

Orchestral (~15%)

Rock (~15%)

Some other attributes I am seeking:

1) Neutral sound signature, while still being able to deliver on bass impact when necessary (not excessively or smearing the spectrum). I do not prefer more bass quantity/impact over clarity, however I enjoy my bass and want a tight bass response that is not bloated.

2) Analytical while maintaining a musical touch (if you've heard the EarSonics SM3--just a bit more analytical than the SM3).

3) Airiness. Soundstage should not be too wide to the point where the music loses cohesiveness.

4) Should be able to run very well through my Cowon S9, and not require an amp to sound near its best.

5) Should sound very good without having to crank up the volume (I do not exceed 60% volume on my Cowon S9).

I am currently using EarSonics SM3s, and they have been very satisfying (owner for almost a year now). However, I want to get more clarity and less warmth, with more treble extension--while keeping the bass impact near the EarSonics SM3 level.

Thank you for any help!

I doubt you will find anyone that owns all three of those.  I own the JH13.  From all I have read..........

The ES5 will have the best midrange.

The JH13 will have the best overall detail and neutrality while still being able to provide plenty of bass when required or with added EQ.

The JH13 has largest soundstage and fullest bassiest sound but does it very well in that it does not take away much from the other frequencies.

I am using JH13 straight out of an Ipod Classic and the synergy is amazing.  I'm in heaven!

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #8,553 of 10,743
Yeah Dave i remember an earlier post from you about my problem being the Helix area, i think that an adjustment there would mostly fix my issue with walking.  Today i used soft shoes and my left side that is tighter was basically a non issue as far as tolerability but the right side that is looser in the helix and seems like it fits more comfortably moves ever so slightly and that is what is making the noise loud.  This comes after wearing them for a while, like a half an hour, in soft shoes and kind of watching my walking to tread a bit gentler.  Gotta say though it seems better with the soft shoes and the extended time to let my ear close in on them.  

Don't think i will send them back again though, it is too risky to keep doing it because then they come back uncomfortable and have to be put back or re impressioned again....at least they are usable at this point.  A pity that they can't just figure out a way to make them perfect from the offset like a materiel that adjust to your ear better or something because the sound is so great.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #8,554 of 10,743
I receieved the JH13Pro a month ago, and I the first thing I noticed when I listened to the music with my Cowon J3, was the shallow and very bright sound. I couldn´t believe my ears, because the fit seemed very good. I then listened to the my 2. player, the Cowon D2+, and the music opened up and sounded much better. But I thought the sound could be further improved, so after a while I  hooked up my Pico Headphone Amp (with DAC) to my Macintosh and played music through Audirvana (a free audiophile player for OS X). The music opened up more than with my Cowon D2+, the bass was stronger and more defined, and the separation and punch was better.

So I wonder if anyone has used the JH13Pro with Cowon J3 and has the same experience as me. As for now, the Cowon J3 sound much better with my old Klipsch Custom 3. I must mention that the music was not so bright when used with the Pico headphone amp, but nevertheless not good at all.

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #8,555 of 10,743

Quote:
I receieved the JH13Pro a month ago, and I the first thing I noticed when I listened to the music with my Cowon J3, was the shallow and very bright sound. I couldn´t believe my ears, because the fit seemed very good. I then listened to the my 2. player, the Cowon D2+, and the music opened up and sounded much better. But I thought the sound could be further improved, so after a while I  hooked up my Pico Headphone Amp (with DAC) to my Macintosh and played music through Audirvana (a free audiophile player for OS X). The music opened up more than with my Cowon D2+, the bass was stronger and more defined, and the separation and punch was better.

So I wonder if anyone has used the JH13Pro with Cowon J3 and has the same experience as me. As for now, the Cowon J3 sound much better with my old Klipsch Custom 3. I must mention that the music was not so bright when used with the Pico headphone amp, but nevertheless not good at all.

Interesting that you mention that. My JH16 sounds full and very detailed with my Cowon S9. When I did try out the JH13 universals on my Cowon S9 though, it did sound much lighter and airy compared to the JH16 universal. Perhaps it has something to do with the impedance of the JH13 as opposed to the JH16; that's just a guess. I've also read that the JH13 changes a lot more and takes on the source/amp characteristics very well--so that may be what's going on here.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #8,556 of 10,743
Yes, thanks for replying. It seems that the synergi between JH13Pro and Cowon J3 is bad, and you must be right about that the JH13 changes a lot more and takes on the source/amp characteristics very well. I have asked JH Audio why the Cowon J3 and the JH13Pro is such a bad match, but havent got any replies.

I dont need the Cowon J3 anymore because of this, so I will sell the player now. Its a shame because I like the player more than the D2+, but the most important thing for me is the sound quality.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #8,557 of 10,743
Quote:
Yes, thanks for replying. It seems that the synergi between JH13Pro and Cowon J3 is bad, and you must be right about that the JH13 changes a lot more and takes on the source/amp characteristics very well. I have asked JH Audio why the Cowon J3 and the JH13Pro is such a bad match, but havent got any replies.

I dont need the Cowon J3 anymore because of this, so I will sell the player now. Its a shame because I like the player more than the D2+, but the most important thing for me is the sound quality.

That sucks because my Cowon S9 and JH16 synergize amazingly well. And I believe the Cowon J3 and the Cowon S9 both use the same Wolfson DAC (not 100% sure on this).

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #8,559 of 10,743
Well, now something strange happened that puzzles me.... I wanted to listen to my Cowon J3 for the last time to be sure that to sell the player would be the right thing to do. I didnt have the BBE or equalizer turned on my both of my players btw. But now I could hardly tell the difference between my Cowon D2+, other than the J3 was a tad brighter. But the punch and rich sound was the same! What is happening? Could it be that the JH13Pro has been burned in after many hours playing on my Mac?

Now I am not sure if I will sell my J3 after all
smile.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #8,560 of 10,743
Oslo, is it possible that you didn't have your jh13s properly seated in your ears? that would account for a far bigger change, of the sort that you report, than burn in would.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #8,562 of 10,743
Hehe, I am quite sure I had a proper seal from the beginning. I would listen again later this evening :)

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #8,563 of 10,743
Today I got a better cable to my JH13 Pro, a used one. The cable (http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/whiplash-custom-cables/elite-jha-ue-westone-iem-replacement-cable.html) is really good. It makes the bass more defined, the soundstage better and the music not so clinical. Can really recommend that cable :)

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #8,564 of 10,743
Pretty sad one must go out and purchase a different cable to make a $1,049 IEM sound better.

I just sold my JH13 and will provide comments on why over the weekend when I get a minute.

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #8,565 of 10,743
Quote: [from another thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545511/jh13-pro-my-take-on-a-review#post_7354122 ]
Great review and I agree in pretty much all regards.
Seems the JH13 has a less forward midrange than almost all other universals.  But it also has a small bump in the lower bass.  I have a theory on this that this is done with full intent to create more space around the frequencie since a more forward midrange shrinks the space and soundstage.  This seems to be done with very careful engineering.  JH13 is never boring, never too analytical or clinical sounding.  The detail retreival is insane.  Everything else I stick in my ears sounds veiled.  You almost get goosebumps with certain recordings.  Completely immersed INSIDE the music.
As far as the JH13 being great with all types of music...well yes, if an IEM is true to the music it must be great with everything.

Quote:
I am using JH13 straight out of an Ipod Classic and the synergy is amazing.  I'm in heaven!

Quote:
Pretty sad one must go out and purchase a different cable to make a $1,049 IEM sound better.
I just sold my JH13 and will provide comments on why over the weekend when I get a minute.

wow, i didn't see that one coming! most everything i've seen you write about this device has been overwhelmingly positive. now if you're getting a jh3a then i can understand this, else i'd really like to hear about your seeming change of heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back