JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jan 25, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #7,351 of 10,745
^^^ Yeah, I saw that. 18" not 18' !
ksc75smile.gif
OP. Would it not be better to use an extension cable?

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #7,352 of 10,745
When JH Audio announced the JH16, i knew some people who just bought the JH13 would start to go ape **** for no valid reason.

It's amazing that a product that has not been reviewed and which has clearly been stated by JH Audio themselves has to NOT be a better IEM but a *different* one to JH13, would suddenly make everyone second guess themselves.

Sure 16 > 13 so it must be better, and therefore the JH13 must be far from perfect, right ? Marketing 101 works wonders it seems !!

This phenomenon explains a lot though: "burn in" for example is imho another way of saying "time needed for the brain to adapt to a new component". Im quasi certain the equipment in itself doesnt change, its all in the head.

The internets amaze me !

Cheers
Very happy and content JH13 owner

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #7,354 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by glory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being one of those audiophiles I would think the extension cable would degrade the sonic signature of 13. Am I wrong here?

Being one of those audiophiles how do you have your speakers hooked up without degrading the sonic signature using several feet of wire?
smile.gif
As long as you use a thicker (lower) gauge cable it would be fine.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #7,356 of 10,745
I've been living with the 13s for a while now and the frequency response is more or less ideal in my eyes. Any more bass would be too much. It might make hip hop sound more fun, but would ruin a lot of other genres.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #7,357 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flimberson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for the sound...disappointing
frown.gif
. Overall sound was congested, and although I could somewhat notice some form of clarity, they sound no better than my IE8's, small soundstage too. It feels like there's a veil over the entire sound.

Reading back in the thread, I noticed how a few members experienced this as well, and they opened up after a few days from burn in. I hope that's the case with me as well. I don't think it can be a fit issue, as these fit PERECTLY, and are super comfy.

Anyone able to provide some insight on this/had a similar experience?

As someone who also came from IE8's as primary IEM, I can tell you I had a similar experience to you but am now extremely happy with my JH13's!

When I listened to my JH13’s for the first time, I wasn’t impressed at all with the sound. And I thought to myself ‘Is this it?? Is this what I spent all that money on??’.
I now realize that this happened because I had hyped myself up way too much and there was no IEM in the world that could have lived up to those expectations.

Anyway, after using them continuously for 4 or 5 hours I did the acid test – plugged in my IE8’s. And boy, was I blown away - blown away how bad the IE8’s (which I had treasured for over a year) sounded compared to the JH13’s!

So I recommend you do the same test and if you still find the IE8’s sound great after a few hours of using the JH13’s, then there’s a real problem!

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #7,359 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicalMetal420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone who also came from IE8's as primary IEM, I can tell you I had a similar experience to you but am now extremely happy with my JH13's!

When I listened to my JH13’s for the first time, I wasn’t impressed at all with the sound. And I thought to myself ‘Is this it?? Is this what I spent all that money on??’.
I now realize that this happened because I had hyped myself up way too much and there was no IEM in the world that could have lived up to those expectations.

Anyway, after using them continuously for 4 or 5 hours I did the acid test – plugged in my IE8’s. And boy, was I blown away - blown away how bad the IE8’s (which I had treasured for over a year) sounded compared to the JH13’s!

So I recommend you do the same test and if you still find the IE8’s sound great after a few hours of using the JH13’s, then there’s a real problem!

Do you think that if you now listened to the IE8 for 4-5 hours, and switched back to the JH13, you'll feel the same way as when you initially tried the 13's?

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #7,360 of 10,745
yeah 15' of stock gauge cable would indeed sound like crap, but up the gauge and it should be cool. I dont know where you would get one that didnt cost as much as the IEM itself though, as most cable upgrades focus on other things than practical use and often involve the use of expensive materials.

oh and what are all you guys still doing here? I thought you would have all ground your JH13 into the ground by now, due to being so disgusted with the putrid and disappointing sound they give you; now that they dont have the clearly superior bass of the as yet unheard JH16 and UE18 i'm surprized you can stomach using them myself
tongue.gif

on a less facetious note, i'm just so glad to have these things in my skull, I find the bass just right, especially when driven well. I think it would take a lot more than a small amount more headroom to make me shell out another grand+ when i'm so satisfied already. I have them for the sound they give, not to show off. who in the real world even cares/notices what IEMs you have on anyway?? sure I admit to a guilty pleasure of knowing I had/have (who knows yet) the most highly sought after and well regarded IEMs on the planet, but in the end its the tunes that get me there

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #7,361 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think that if you now listened to the IE8 for 4-5 hours, and switched back to the JH13, you'll feel the same way as when you initially tried the 13's?

No. What I was talking about was only the initial first listen after I received them. I was trying to help Flimberson since it sounded like he had the same initial problem as I did. Now, maybe due to actual or brain burn-in, they always sound amazing, regardless of what I’ve just been using.

And for the record, they destroy the IE8’s. And that’s coming from somebody who thought the IE8’s were god’s gift to the IEM world! (Well, I still think they are god’s gift to the IEM world, only now he gave us a much better pair!)

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #7,362 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicalMetal420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. What I was talking about was only the initial first listen after I received them. I was trying to help Flimberson since it sounded like he had the same initial problem as I did. Now, maybe due to actual or brain burn-in, they always sound amazing, regardless of what I’ve just been using.

And for the record, they destroy the IE8’s. And that’s coming from somebody who thought the IE8’s were god’s gift to the IEM world! (Well, I still think they are god’s gift to the IEM world, only now he gave us a much better pair!)

Hi MusicalMetal420 do you find there to be any similarities between the IE8 and the JH 13.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #7,364 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi MusicalMetal420 do you find there to be any similarities between the IE8 and the JH 13.

I must confess that I haven't managed to audition many different IEM's and I also find it hard to portray my feelings in traditional 'head-fi speak'. (Hell, I sometimes doubt that even the people employing these complicated terminologies actually know what they’re talking about most of the time!)

I would say the JH13’s aren’t very dissimilar to the IE8’s, they just do everything much better. For example, the details on the 13’s are astounding. The details on the IE8’s are astounding too, only the JH13’s have a much better presentation of those details. The soundstage seems about the same to me on both IEM’s but I don’t think crazy big soundstage was ever the point of the 13’s.

What I like most about the JH13’s are:
The way drums are represented.
Being a drummer myself, I can appreciate how close the reproduction of drums and cymbals actually are. Its mindblowing how clear and real everything sounds.
The way the mix is represented.
Everything always seems to be in exactly the right place. To give a few examples from rock music: vocal harmonies are just behind the vocalist, the bass guitar is slightly above the kick drum and the vocals are in direct center.
The separation.
For me it’s all about the details, and there’s no point of detailed sound without great separation! This is where the JH13’s really shines. I can pick out everything - absolutely everything. For example, the bass guitar is just above the kick drum but I can pick both out on 1000 miles-an-hour speed metal.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #7,365 of 10,745
So after burning in for most of the weekend, I can say that the sound has improved slightly. The sound is more clear, and instrument separation seems to have improved. can't comment on whether this is due to actual or brain burn in, but hey. However, I still feel that the sound is a bit closed in, and the presentation needs to open up. I can't place where the instruments are in my head because of this.

Regarding fit, I am not finding that the way I'm inserting them is affecting the sound. Timmy, I tried your advice and the sound remains the same. There is barely any room to wiggle the earpiece, can't push any deeper cause the body of the earpiece is already flush with my ear, and pulling them out a bit just breaks the seal. It's like they're plugged in; either in or out. I feel that this is indicative of a good fit?

MusicalMetal420, unfortunately I had sold my IE8's just before receiving my JH13's, as their sale was part of my funding for these haha
bigsmile_face.gif
All I have left for spare headphones are a pair of sr60i's, and quite naturally the JH13's destroy them. Although I don't remember the grado's usually sounding this bad...hmm, you might be onto something here. Off memory, I can definitely say that the JH13 now does sound better than the IE8, in every aspect except soundstage.

I am beginning to believe that perhaps my expectations were too high on this IEM, and that I just need some more time with them. Though I will continue to burn them in throughout the week.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back