JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Dec 11, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #6,526 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done some more listening, and I need some positive reinforcement. :/

I'm just not getting anywhere near the level detail and clarity that I do with the ER-4S. For snare drums, violins, guitars, piano, vocals, switching from the 13s to the Etys is a revelation. (And no, I'm not trolling!)

Soundstage is highly compressed, and they aren't nearly as transparent. It's a very veiled sound -- they remind me of the E5c.

I tried a few sources, a ton of different music, and it's constant.

This wasn't exactly the picture I got from a couple of people who own both, so this has to be a fit issue, right? Right?

Edit: Also, they just give me a headache after a while. They feel like they're constantly being sucked into my ears. Can't be right, can it?

you push them too hard to your ears?. If they didn't fit, it'd cause sound block by pressure or canal wall or whatelse. Try to pull you ear a bit stretch and see the sound come alive?

Compressed soundstage if you mean don't open wide and clear. Yes it's misfit.

There'll be a long holiday so Make it quick.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #6,527 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done some more listening, and I need some positive reinforcement. :/

I'm just not getting anywhere near the level detail and clarity that I do with the ER-4S. For snare drums, violins, guitars, piano, vocals, switching from the 13s to the Etys is a revelation. (And no, I'm not trolling!)

Soundstage is highly compressed, and they aren't nearly as transparent. It's a very veiled sound -- they remind me of the E5c.

I tried a few sources, a ton of different music, and it's constant.

This wasn't exactly the picture I got from a couple of people who own both, so this has to be a fit issue, right? Right?

Edit: Also, they just give me a headache after a while. They feel like they're constantly being sucked into my ears. Can't be right, can it?

So here's my take on this. Etynomic is known for accurately reproducing a recorded source. In fact, the ER-4S, boasts a 92% accuracy rating, allowing the headphones to remain "flat". Although the JH13's sound great, they are not accurate. I ran my pair through a frequency response similar to how Etynomic runs their tests, and the results were surprising. My left ear scored a ~53% accuracy, and my right was 61%.

Etymotic Research, Inc. - How we measure response accuracy

When I looked at the response plot, it seemed that my JH-13's had an accentuated low and high end, leaving the mids attenuated. This smile EQ pattern sounds great, but it is not accurate.

Now, the JH-13's sure do sound great. I mean really, really great. But, I feel this is because of their fidelity, not accuracy. This isn't to say what JHAudio is doing is wrong, but it just isn't accurate sound. When I've A/B'd my ER4s's and JH-13's, I could certainly hear a difference. Both were enjoyable, but the JH13's were the more fun and articulate headphone.

Based on this, I feel that you must have a fit issue. This is all my opinion (except the numbers, because that's accurate), and I'm prepared for the bashing.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #6,528 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVDweeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So here's my take on this. Etynomic is known for accurately reproducing a recorded source. In fact, the ER-4S, boasts a 92% accuracy rating, allowing the headphones to remain "flat". Although the JH13's sound great, they are not accurate. I ran my pair through a frequency response similar to how Etynomic runs their tests, and the results were surprising. My left ear scored a ~53% accuracy, and my right was 61%.

Etymotic Research, Inc. - How we measure response accuracy

When I looked at the response plot, it seemed that my JH-13's had an accentuated low and high end, leaving the mids attenuated. This smile EQ pattern sounds great, but it is not accurate.

Now, the JH-13's sure do sound great. I mean really, really great. But, I feel this is because of their fidelity, not accuracy. This isn't to say what JHAudio is doing is wrong, but it just isn't accurate sound. When I've A/B'd my ER4s's and JH-13's, I could certainly hear a difference. Both were enjoyable, but the JH13's were the more fun and articulate headphone.

Based on this, I feel that you must have a fit issue. This is all my opinion (except the numbers, because that's accurate), and I'm prepared for the bashing.

well yes it does sound like a fit issue. When I tried the JH13 demo unit it was unlike anything I've ever heard in terms of soundstage and detail, certainly not a compressed soundstage and veiled, it was completely the opposite - soundstaging and detail were better than outstanding, way way way in a different league to my previously owned Ety HF5's. And thats from a universal demo unit..so fitment sounds like an issue spankypoo
frown.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #6,530 of 10,743
Mine should arrive today, then they were delayed to monday, eta was soon back to today, but then a genius @UPS decided, why not Koeln instead of Amsterdam, Germany is quite close too :S
So now they are >300 km away, and not even on their way to me according to the tracking-service
frown.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #6,532 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice artwork, very original!

I went for a stealth look, translucent black with no artwork. Should get them today according to UPS, I'm pretty excited.
cool.gif

Do we have to contact JHaudio for a tracking number on our order? I got the shipped notification but that was it.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #6,534 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do we have to contact JHaudio for a tracking number on our order? I got the shipped notification but that was it.

I received a UPS Quantum View email in my mailbox about at the same time that I received the shipped notice by JH Audio. Perhaps it's in your spam mail?

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #6,535 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received a UPS Quantum View email in my mailbox about at the same time that I received the shipped notice by JH Audio. Perhaps it's in your spam mail?

Nadda. Thanks though, I've sent them a note.

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #6,537 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are mines, Black Eye Blue w/ clear faceplate. Should be here on Monday.

Ah these were on facebook ey..looks very nice
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #6,539 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow those are pretty complex~
Do they have that printer yet?

I'm still waiting for a printer so they can redo my art. At the moment I have pixelated edges (can see them up close) and I don't like that. One of my friends said that's just the resolution of the laser though

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #6,540 of 10,743
Here is what my JH's will look like. What do ya think y'all. I think it's totally perfect.

Attachment 23583

Users who are viewing this thread

Back