JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 10, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #3,241 of 10,743
I use 8397 as opamp and 6642s as buffer. Please refer to my D10 thread for
further details.

I determined this setup for UE11, so I may have reconsider this config for JH13 ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyguy106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great coverage. =D

May I ask if your D10 is using stock opamp?

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #3,242 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When walking through a forest, you can only walk half way in. You then start walking out again!

As you now, I am very happy with my JH13s but want to thank you in advance for what will be one of the most read reviews on the year. How much do I want to thank you? PM me your PayPal account email address and I'll pop $10 in there. You haven't asked for it. You haven't charged for the review. If you refuse to receive it then I'll pay it to head-fi.

You are one of the contributors that make this community special.

Regards

Sceptre

Thanks, I appreciate the offer, but go ahead and contribute to head-fi please.
smile.gif

I'm still afraid I'll just end up disappointing people if my review doesn't live up to expectations. These customs are all so good at revealing the character of the amp and source being used that I am having to spend a large portion of my time using a wide variety of them, to figure out the nature of the IEM's own sound as opposed to the sound signature of the amp and source.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #3,243 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I appreciate the offer, but go ahead and contribute to head-fi please.
smile.gif

I'm still afraid I'll just end up disappointing people if my review doesn't live up to expectations. These customs are all so good at revealing the character of the amp and source being used that I am having to spend a large portion of my time using a wide variety of them, to figure out the nature of the IEM's own sound as opposed to the sound signature of the amp and source.

Don't over think it. Go with your gut and tell us what your ears are saying to you...

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #3,244 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah they are busy alright, mine are supposed to be being made in the next day, I hope mine are NOT the first ones made by new trainees
eek.gif
I mean i'm sure they have been trained well, but I wold still rather not be the first after the training wheels come off

I should have added that Brittany also said something about some of the new employees have been in the industry for 20 years.....and Jerry still wouldnt let them on the floor until he felt like they were trained to his satisfaction.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #3,245 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think by now it'd safe to say your review should be called a dissertation and should be ready by Xmas
wink.gif

I WISH I had that long to not have to turn in my homework...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watch when he finishes his review his hard drive will crash and he will lose it. Then the tootsie pop saying "the world may never know" will be a perfect fit XD

I keep a copy on my MobileMe iDisk for safe keeping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To add a bit more fuel to the fire, I suppose, I am listening to asr's OmegaII/BHSE setup as I type this (using Pico DAC as source). I have been doing some comparisons with the JH13+Pico DAC/amp. Both have a ton of detail and freaky speed. If I had to compare the two in that regard, and this is really splitting hairs, the JH13 sounds quicker in the bass, the OII in certain areas of the midrange. This is as impactful of bass as I've heard from a 'stat, but it is not up to the level of the JH13 in that regard. Of course, the OII system has a significantly larger soundstage that extends quite a ways beyond my head, though it is a bit more diffuse.

At this point, they are both examples of extremely superb headphone audio. The choice could certainly come down to the preference of the listener. But the fact that the JH13 can even compete with such a staunch rig is testament enough. I am finding the JH13 more to my liking, mostly due to the tonal balance sounding a bit more spot-on and realistic.

The only question is would the JH13 scale as high as the OII/BHSE with a super-high-end source? There is no way for me to definitively answer that (unless someone wants to overnight me a killer DAC). Although I would say that I have no reason to think the JH13 couldn't scale up very well, as they certainly showed with the various amps as the meet last weekend.

This makes perfect sense with how Ray tunes his amps. I haven't used my JH13 with one of his yet, but I can certainly see how it would be a good change of pace, if the steadfast neutrality of the JH13 is too much for certain listeners and/or recordings.

The JH13 has better bass than the L3000, and more from 50-60Hz down. The L3000 has more upper bass than the JH13. Either one is a better bass headphone than the HD800, IMO. Both have more bass impact, and more bass volume in certain areas (JH13 lower, L3000 upper). Just want to be clear, so that you have realistic expectations.

I'm pretty sure that HPA can afford a flash drive
wink.gif

I do have a flash drive, but store backups on my iDisk. As for the JH13Pro vs OmegaII - I also previously posted that they are on a similar level as well, but I am using a maxed Woo GES with my O2, not a KGBH SE.

Even better than my Pico DAC/amp or other portable with my JH13Pro is my Apogee mini-DAC > Woo WA6. I absolutely love that rig with all of my custom IEM. I haven't tried it with the PS Audio DLIII > ZDT yet because of the massive heat the ZDT puts off, and the massive 2 watts of power into 32 ohm loads (JH13Pro is 28 ohm).

Also, I just opened my review to start working on it again and MS Word says it is 5.5 pages long and 3,171 words. So, it really isn't all that big yet.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #3,246 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
qusp, i'd bet that if you flew in from half way around the world you could watch Jerry personally make your set
wink.gif
. i understand your sentiments, but i'm sure things will work out just fine. and if they don't i'm sure we'll hear all about it!

while waiting for my turn in the queue i'm listening to Porcupine Tree's 'Lightbulb Sun' on a lovely set of ps1000s. sounds awfully nice! we'll see if the 13s can stomp that!
wink.gif
i was talking to one leatherhead owner about this disc just before leaving canjam as there's a cut or two whose psychedelia is reminiscent of beatles explorations in that direction (was that you Fe_dreamer or perhaps it was 909).

oh i'm sure things will be OK, well i'm still just a touch concerned I guess, as you can probably understand. Problems and refits from way over here would result in 40-50USD plus insurance and at least 2 weeks without them each time, 1 week shipping from here, however long over there and then another week back. so probably more like 3-4 weeks in reality. luckily the VERY LOW amount of refits/problems that have been reported in here is very reassuring and the technology is sound

the prospect just doesnt excite me thats all; one of the main reasons I chose the JH13 was because I was turned off by the large number multiple refits with ES3X that have been going on lately and a few issues I had with my westone gear. i mean I have loved the sound from them, but I cant say its been trouble free; something I wish to avoid with this purchase. great customer service can only get you so far

also, what are you saying?? are you saying I talk too much??
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

they received them about a month ago I think, I purposely havent actually been counting the days. I dont really mind so much, I would prefer they did a proper job than a quick job, though definite at the very latest times should not be given if they cannot be stuck to.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #3,248 of 10,743
The speed really is amazing. That, to me, is the first thing I noticed after using the SE530's again for a week. The JH13's crush the Shure's in pure clarity and speed. It's the definition of micro detail.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #3,249 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a quote from her email to me when I inquired:

Oh. I went through JH Audio directly because they had the CanJam introductory price. Frances never told me I could order through her, but it would have ended up costing me more anyhow. Anyways, she's a great audiologist. Highly recommended.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #3,250 of 10,743
if anyone lives in Vancouver/Coquitlam BC. I recommend my Audiologist for impressions. Highly skilled, been a certified Audiologist and Hearing Instrument Practitioner for 9 years. Cheap, and great Customer Service. Not trying to throw this thread off track, but just letting people know if they are getting impressions for their JH's =) That's where i got mine for my JH's

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #3,255 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehehe it would make sinocelt faint! I do not wish bad things to happen but I sure as heck laugh when they do
wink.gif

If this happen, HPA will probably faint as well. Anyway, HPA's replied he's got backup. May be we need to advise him to have double backup (say a RAID 5) as well because there are so many head-fiers looking forward to it.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back