JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 6, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #2,911 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
music_4321:

I admire your constant reminders of the Law of Diminishing Returns. Esp. when you get newcomers (like myself) to the forum, who may not be tuned into the need to 'unplug from head-fi and just enjoy your music' (there's a dude with a Pila nick that I saw a while back in this thread having buyer remorse over his ES3X, for instance... who would probably have been happier had he just left head-fi).

For some, after sifting through pages and pages of 'this is the best thing since sliced bread', your posts come as a reminder that the diminished marginal returns that the JH13 Pro offers over, for instance, a UM3X, may not be worth the price you pay.

There are two groups here on head-fi- newbies who compare the JH13 Pro to top universals, and experienced hands who are comparing the JH13 Pro to more expensive headphones. While your posts may not be relevant for the latter group, they certainly count as important information for the former.

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, unfortunately you get quite a few (very) young members who hype things up quite a bit and with a tendency to post endlessly. Unfortunately we can't see their faces or know their ages --although the latter is normally quite clear to me.

Add to that the ease of cut and paste from other posts/ sources where one can seem knowledgeable, plus a high post count to seem even experienced...well, you catch my drift.

As crazy as this may sound I honestly think that certain gear - as is the case with alcohol consumption - should only be sold to people who can prove they're at least 25/30 years old. Many young, innocent and understandably immature new members who come here looking for a better set of IEM's/ headphones suddenly come across items such as JH13/ UE11/ UE10/ ES3X/ HE90/ HD800/ R10/ Orpheus/ Stax/ K1000 and so on. They suddenly get the 'need/ urge' to get one (or more) of those pieces of gear PLUS other gear, eg amps, cables, better sources.

Here's one of the best posts I've come across on head-fi, which I think is very relevant to this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bef...9/#post5600823 -- The heading Navigating this forum is simply excellent.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #2,912 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get it. What is your point?? Whoever will find his posts relevant will find them relevant; whoever doesn't, doesn't. If you find his "reminders" nagging, or uninteresting, simply do this... ignore it.

Actually I meant the opposite (ie I do not find them 'nagging' or 'uninteresting'). I merely wanted to suggest that the reason some find his reminders irrelevant is because they're meant for a different group of head-fi visitors.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #2,913 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The JH13pro hiss less than my ES3X, so the 5.5G iPod video headphone jack hiss is very mild with the JH13Pro and slightly louder with the ES3X (but the 5.5G still has less hiss than my Macbook Pro headphone out, or ALO Amphora)

Thanks, nice to know it hiss less than ES3X. I really looking forward to my JH13.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #2,914 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by FALC0NR14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my iPod 5G soo much since I rockboxed it. I have so little hiss now it's unbelievable to think its the same iPod. On stock apple firmware it hissed so much I didn't use it. This is with my SE530's BTW. I will be useing JH-13's with this iPod as well.

How is the battery life with Rockbex? I'm tempted to rockbox it but heard it kills the battery.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #2,915 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the battery life with Rockbex? I'm tempted to rockbox it but heard it kills the battery.

I had mine on for 3 hours the other day and it was about a quarter of the way gone. Though I still think it's better than apple firmware.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #2,917 of 10,743
Is anyone using his JH13 with a full-size amp?

Actually I am using my Westone 3 with an Eddie Current EC/SS and am very happy with this combination.
But I wonder if there is an even better synergy package out for the JH13...

Which amps are best for IEM use, tube amps, solid state or perhaps hybrids?
I believe I have heard that tube amps are not the best combination, is that true and why?

No, I don't want to go for full size headphones (just sold my Grado RS-1) and I also don't like the cabling hazzle with portable amps (also just sold my Mustang) which is really annoying with an iPhone...

Thanks for your opinions ! Jochen

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #2,918 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone ordered the JH11pro or JH10X3pro? It seems like everyone is going with the JH13pro.

Well what do you expect to find in the JH-13 Appreciation thread?
biggrin.gif

I posted a review of the JH 10x3 pro.. search for it

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #2,920 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well what do you expect to find in the JH-13 Appreciation thread?
biggrin.gif

I posted a review of the JH 10x3 pro.. search for it

I read your review, very nice! How well does it hold up to the JH13, considering the 300 price differential?

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #2,921 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by FALC0NR14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had mine on for 3 hours the other day and it was about a quarter of the way gone. Though I still think it's better than apple firmware.

I'm using apple firmware, it usually last me 16-20 hours before I need to recharge it. I think I will stick with apple firmware even I don't like it as much as rockbox version.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #2,922 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using apple firmware, it usually last me 16-20 hours before I need to recharge it. I think I will stick with apple firmware even I don't like it as much as rockbox version.

Well you know you can try Rockbox on yours and then if You don't like it you can revert back to stock at any time.

Back on topic.

Does the artwork peel or anything?

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #2,923 of 10,743
I can't read the previous page with the video attachment. It causes my computer to lock up and I have to do a force quit of my web browser.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #2,924 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read your review, very nice! How well does it hold up to the JH13, considering the 300 price differential?

It holds up proportionally. The jh-13 has less hiss (10ohm higher impedance), better bass impact, wider sound-stage and a little clearer highs.

If you have the money, absolutely for for JH-13. If you don't, the JH10x3 is a fantastic value for the money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back