JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jan 23, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #10,502 of 10,743
this has probably been asked/answered before , but does reshelling the JH13fp in an other reshell company than JH audio, change the sound whatsoever ?

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #10,505 of 10,743
It is certainly better than anything that I have heard to date.  For once I am actually quite content, now if they would only release folder browsing, speed up the scan time and fix a few other small things.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #10,507 of 10,743
I can't comment on the 13's with FP, but I have the pre-freq 13's.  They are super precise and probably the most accurate CIEM/headphone I own (the HE-6's are a close second).  However, I feel they lack bass.  I'm looking for a new IEM with more bass, so my questions is: Does the FP add bass?  From what I read, the freq-phase adds more coherence with it's time alignment, but I read nothing about it adding to the low end.

Some IEM's I'm looking at:

Westone W60 (I heard these at an airport kiosk and really liked them)
Noble 10U
JH Angie for the AK series (I own the AK 120II)

By the way, I actually drove out of my way to Apopka, FL to hear the Roxannes.  I was not impressed.  Great bass, but the upper frequencies sounded shrill.  In my opinion, they had the same mid to uppers as the Shure 846's--which I also did not like.

Any suggestions?

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #10,509 of 10,743
  I can't comment on the 13's with FP, but I have the pre-freq 13's.  They are super precise and probably the most accurate CIEM/headphone I own (the HE-6's are a close second).  However, I feel they lack bass.  I'm looking for a new IEM with more bass, so my questions is: Does the FP add bass?  From what I read, the freq-phase adds more coherence with it's time alignment, but I read nothing about it adding to the low end.

Noble 10U

By the way, I actually drove out of my way to Apopka, FL to hear the Roxannes.  I was not impressed.  Great bass, but the upper frequencies sounded shrill.  In my opinion, they had the same mid to uppers as the Shure 846's--which I also did not like.

Any suggestions?

I never heard the JH 13s myself but have the JH 16s and they are loaded with base. When I was doing my research folks kept on mentioning that the sound sig of the JH16s was similar to the JH13s but with more base. The base goes deep while maintaining clarity throughout the entire music range. If you like bass and clarity you won't be disappointed. I have the Whiplash CIEM v2 cable as well and 16s sound better.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #10,510 of 10,743

Noble 10U

Any suggestions?

I feel the FP is a big step up. I also didn't like the Roxanne at all as I hope it will be an overall improvement over the 13FP. I recently demoed the angle and layla and they sounded much more in line to the 13. Angie could be a worthwhile upgrade over non FP jh13. Layla is even better but diminishing return.....

K10 is also very technical, very smooth from top to bottom, but a bit too polite and lacks emotion IMHO.

W60, imo isn't in the same league as the angie or k10.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #10,511 of 10,743
Thanks Poimandres, Jacone, and kkcc.

I would really like to hear the Angies because of their matchup with the AK lineup.

Also, the JH16s sound like a great possibility, but I've heard some folks say the 16's have too much bass.  That would definitely muddy the mids and highs, which I would not like.

Which IEM gives the most balanced sound--or maybe a tad on the warm side?

My search continues.

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #10,512 of 10,743

Calyx M looks like it might be a good sounding dap, but with only 6-8hrs average battery life, I think I'll pass on that one :)

Lot of new daps coming out in 2015, might be a good idea to wait. At least you'd be able to probably snag a cheaper price on an older model as the new ones enter the market the older ones should go down a bit or pop up in the for sale section more often.  I'm in the same boat, getting some JH13FP's and I'm waitin. I can currently play 24/48 through my iphone 5.  I'm looking at the pono, most who own it say it's just as good as 500-$1000 competitors.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #10,513 of 10,743

Lot of new daps coming out in 2015, might be a good idea to wait. At least you'd be able to probably snag a cheaper price on an older model as the new ones enter the market the older ones should go down a bit or pop up in the for sale section more often.  I'm in the same boat, getting some JH13FP's and I'm waitin. I can currently play 24/48 through my iphone 5.  I'm looking at the pono, most who own it say it's just as good as 500-$1000 competitors.

I'm mostly waiting for a DAP that will have >15 hrs battery life. Currently that only leaves the Sony A10 series or the NZX2 (but don't think I want to spend $1200 on a DAP). I might end up going for the Sony A10 series, as all the other ones that have been announced so far have 10hrs or less in battery life, which just doesn't cut it for me. Granted, more battery life means less power, but I only want to drive my JH13s with a DAP, and those don't need a lot of power to be driven. My full-size cans I only use at home through a DAC connected to my laptop.

Maybe the Fiio X3 II will have decent battery life of around 15 hrs when playing Redbook FLAC files (95% of my collection is Redbook FLAC), but we'll see. So far indications are it's gonna be around 12hrs. That DAP won't even survive flying from the US to Europe (which I do regularly). I don't even really need the ability to play hi-res files. I personally really don't hear the difference and thus, it just takes up unnecessary storage space.

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #10,514 of 10,743
I'm mostly waiting for a DAP that will have >15 hrs battery life. Currently that only leaves the Sony A10 series or the NZX2 (but don't think I want to spend $1200 on a DAP). I might end up going for the Sony A10 series, as all the other ones that have been announced so far have 10hrs or less in battery life, which just doesn't cut it for me. Granted, more battery life means less power, but I only want to drive my JH13s with a DAP, and those don't need a lot of power to be driven. My full-size cans I only use at home through a DAC connected to my laptop.

Personally I found the zx1 a poor match with the jh13fp as the sound was a tad too brittle and thin. I preferred pairing it with iem that is more lush/full sounding like my tg334. Haven't tried zx2 yet. Personally I preferred my jh13 with the iPhone 5s or galaxy note 3 over the zx1. There is less transparency with the mobile phones, but the music sounded better. YMMV.

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #10,515 of 10,743
Does anyone here have or have tried Fiio x5 ? how is it synergy with JH13 FP. Thanks in advance 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back