JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Dec 24, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #10,487 of 10,743
  That sucks man. I guess that's the big downside of buying customs. No guarantee that the fit will be right the first time around, as so much is dependent on how well your impressions were. Maybe your audiologist offered you a fit guarantee? If so, you might want to get another impression done.

And funny enough, that sounds like it's the same spot that's hurting my ear. By the tragus, but a bit deeper, closer to the opening of the ear canal. It actually hurt really bad, two days later it's still a bit sore. Really weird.

I think we have the same problem lol, mine is also at the tragus and the opening of the ear canal..
Mine is now over 1 month the free refit period, but as this is a continuous refit i think they'll still offer a refit for free..

And i didn't get/send in a brand new impressions as they told me it isn't necessary. I don't think it was the impressions fault as well. For some reason, my left ear expands a bit more when filling in the molds compared to the right ear..

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #10,488 of 10,743
Can the tuning of the JH13 change?

I’ve been using some high impedance cable adaptor with my headphone amp because the amp’s gain is too high.
Can this change the tuning of the JH13?  I feel like the bass is more loose and bloated.  Could just be my imagination. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #10,490 of 10,743
I no longer use the impedance cable. Changed amp. But I feel like having used it the tuning of the jh13 has changed.

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #10,492 of 10,743
I no longer use the impedance cable. Changed amp. But I feel like having used it the tuning of the jh13 has changed.

you just got used to the modified sound. be sure that the most changing element in our audio system is always us ^_^.  adding or removing a resistor in the path isn't going to leave a print into the jh13.
but as said above, using an impedance adapter will change(while you use it!) at least the signature of pretty much any multi BA IEM. for some it's very obvious, for others you might never notice the change, but there will be change. and only in very few occasions can you hope for the sound to become more pleasant with more impedance at the source.

I find that about 5 ohm can be ok (old jh13), but past 30ohm I don't like what the sound becomes. I don't know what amp you have that goes too loud, but then I would advise not to use the amp at all, or to get one with low gain settings for your jh13(often you can just ask the manufacturer when you buy the amp and he will set whatever gain you like). adding resistors is a cheap and most likely bad solution and in my opinion given the price of a pair of JH13, it's a little late to go "el cheapo" way.
I use mine as is on a few DAPs. and when I'm bothered by the hiss of one source, or really feel like the source isn't good enough for the JH13, then I add my UHA760. one of the gain setting is -12db, that's low enough to give you plenty of room for any IEM, and digital control of the volume makes sure that there is no channel imbalance at any position of the volume knob.
if you need small and long lasting battery you can go with something like a pico slim. (also digital control of the volume so you don't have to fear channel imbalance).
and even for desktop amps I'm pretty confident you can find someone who will make you a negative gain setting of your liking.

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #10,493 of 10,743
Is anyone around who prefers the "old JH13Pro" over the "freqphase JH13Pro" and interested too in trading / interchanging his/her pair of JH13Pro?

I like my JH13Pro (pre freqphase)  very much but after two years I´m interested in a slightly new listening experience.

HNY to all of you!

Dirk

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #10,494 of 10,743
you just got used to the modified sound. be sure that the most changing element in our audio system is always us ^_^.  adding or removing a resistor in the path isn't going to leave a print into the jh13.
but as said above, using an impedance adapter will change(while you use it!) at least the signature of pretty much any multi BA IEM. for some it's very obvious, for others you might never notice the change, but there will be change. and only in very few occasions can you hope for the sound to become more pleasant with more impedance at the source.

I find that about 5 ohm can be ok (old jh13), but past 30ohm I don't like what the sound becomes. I don't know what amp you have that goes too loud, but then I would advise not to use the amp at all, or to get one with low gain settings for your jh13(often you can just ask the manufacturer when you buy the amp and he will set whatever gain you like). adding resistors is a cheap and most likely bad solution and in my opinion given the price of a pair of JH13, it's a little late to go "el cheapo" way.
I use mine as is on a few DAPs. and when I'm bothered by the hiss of one source, or really feel like the source isn't good enough for the JH13, then I add my UHA760. one of the gain setting is -12db, that's low enough to give you plenty of room for any IEM, and digital control of the volume makes sure that there is no channel imbalance at any position of the volume knob.
if you need small and long lasting battery you can go with something like a pico slim. (also digital control of the volume so you don't have to fear channel imbalance).
and even for desktop amps I'm pretty confident you can find someone who will make you a negative gain setting of your liking.

Thanks. I was using Schiit Vali for awhile. I switched to the lyr 2 which has low gain switch and Geek Out. I guess my ears have to adjust.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #10,495 of 10,743

Got my Jh13s finally! Reshelled by inEarz

Love them, they sound awesome. Only complaint is that they're a bit too sensitive. I have my zuneHD on volume 1 and it's almost too loud. Probably end up getting a impedance cable or something eventually. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #10,496 of 10,743

Reshelled by Rooth. Missed these so badly. Comparing to my spare GR07BEs which I've been using for a few weeks, the JH13s just steps it up a few notches when it comes to details, separation and imaging. The BEs' bass has more body but less attack, and it really depends on the song whether a warmer signature (i.e. GR07BEs) is preferred.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #10,497 of 10,743
Received my JH13 back from the second refit and now they finally seem to have gotten it right! Now I'll listen to these without pain for the next couple of weeks and then post my impressions (not that there aren't enough impressions out there already).

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #10,498 of 10,743
So, after listening to these for a while I can say that the fit is finally at a comfortable level. It still feels like I'm stuffing my ears with something, which feels weird, but I suspect my ears will get used to it more and more over time (these are my first customs). The only thing I kinda dislike about customs I'm realizing is that they create a lot of negative pressure inside my ear-canal, causing a sort of suction/vacuum effect which I'm still not really used to.

So my summarized impression:
Bass: fantastic! Very impactful for a non-basshead IEM. Goes deep and is very detailed. Have been listening to a lot of electronic music just to enjoy the bass of these IEMs.
Mids: Very clear and detailed. Perhaps some might consider it a bit analytical, but I personally like that as I want to hear every little detail in the music.
Highs: Again very high quality and extends very far. Coming from a Shure SE530 IEM with rolled off highs, this is a welcome change. Nice sparkle without ever getting hot or sibilant.

Soundstage: I'd say the soundstage is average. It doesn't add to or detract from the music, just sort of presents the music the way it's recorded. Instrument separation is otherwise excellent and there is quite an amount of depth in the music, making me able to place the instruments not only left to right but also front to back, and even a bit of height making some instruments sound as if they're physically placed above other instruments. 

Anyway, my impressions are nothing new and I can see why the JH13FP has such a good reputation. They really do sound awesome. Now I just need to find a better amp or a new dap to pair with my JH13 so I can get the best SQ out of them as possible. All in due time though, these things are freakin' expensive (but worth it IMO).

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #10,500 of 10,743
Loving the pairing of my jh13fp's and the calyx M.

Calyx M looks like it might be a good sounding dap, but with only 6-8hrs average battery life, I think I'll pass on that one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back