JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Feb 11, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #10,531 of 10,743
Guys I am torn between the JH13 FP & the Legend R from Earwerkz. Legend R has hit nearly 200 on massdrop so I will have to decide soon. Anyone who can help me make a decision would be much appreciated.  I listen almost exclusively to metal, bit a rock and pop here and there.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #10,532 of 10,743
  Guys I am torn between the JH13 FP & the Legend R from Earwerkz. Legend R has hit nearly 200 on massdrop so I will have to decide soon. Anyone who can help me make a decision would be much appreciated.  I listen almost exclusively to metal, bit a rock and pop here and there.

The JH13FP will make rock and metal sounds even more rock and metal. What do I mean by that? It sounds fast and aggressive with authoritative clarity, and bass is tight and it has enough lift at the lower end to feel your music without being too dark. The mids are brought forward, but not so much that it'll be in your face, the treble is not extended, but weirdly it sounds...airy and the treble sparkle isn't missing. Only possible caveat is that they might sound too fast and too clear for some people for extended listening times (fatigue), but not too my ears since there's a bass lift that brings in some warmth in the bass. I listen to a lot of J-rock, other subgenres of rock, some metal, and everything else.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #10,533 of 10,743
I'm actually using a slightly brighter cable on mine so there's that. It also lessens the bass. It's a very difficult question to answer because we're all different. Shotgun really likes the Legend and I suspect he prefers it. I really like my 13s and haven't heard the Legend. I suspect these are both good enough where interfacing and preference will determine what one likes. I listen to all genres on my 13s. It's to where a cable or chosen DAP/files can sway a decision. The BAX cable that the Legend uses is a touch middy but if the IEM is voiced with it, it can be great. I doubt anyone can give you the advice you need without your own listen. Fortunately, it's hard to go wrong here.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #10,535 of 10,743
Heard the Angie at CES, I think it makes a great alternative to the JH13 if you prefer a less aggressive sound that is still very accurate and natural, and IMO a bit more spacious as well.

I think metal might sound better on the 13s, though.
You know, you might consider the Angie as well. I know  options can become endless but it's a brand in question and close in price.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #10,538 of 10,743
They seem to be custom versions of what's offered and I believe Jerry was the first to get that done. He claimed they were faster which would mean that the moving part of the motor was lighter and/or the the magnetic field it operates in is stronger. Doesn't really matter as long as you like the sound.
smile.gif

Freqphase is more than tube length and incorporates crossover changes as well.  for instance, you can't correct 45* of phase shift at 2kHZ by just tube length in a CIEM. You would need a difference of 1.7".

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #10,539 of 10,743
It seems to be rare to find any comparison between CIEM with any high-end headphones, is it because they couldn't beat them? Since i own jH13 FP, i would like to know how much it would be able to stand up against fullsize headphones. This in case would help me getting equivalent fullsize headphone or upgrade to higher ones in the future.
Hint: Would like to see comparison between JH13 FP with LCD2, HD700, AKG712..etc  A ranking would be great too
BTW, looking for some tweak EQ, mind sharing anyone?

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #10,540 of 10,743
  It seems to be rare to find any comparison between CIEM with any high-end headphones, is it because they couldn't beat them? Since i own jH13 FP, i would like to know how much it would be able to stand up against fullsize headphones. This in case would help me getting equivalent fullsize headphone or upgrade to higher ones in the future.
Hint: Would like to see comparison between JH13 FP with LCD2, HD700, AKG712..etc  A ranking would be great too
BTW, looking for some tweak EQ, mind sharing anyone?

I think it's because owning all of them would cost a lot. Also, it's comparing apples and oranges, comparing universals and TOTL over-ears already seem weird, let alone CIEMs. And you know how hard it is to get a custom (wait time, inability to get a review tour unit, etc.) for reviewing. That being said...if anyone here owns those TOTLs and CIEMs, please do compare, even though it doesn't make much sense, it would be really interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back