JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Mar 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #7,756 of 10,743
Thank you for the quick answer!So is it really important what dap you have sony x or iphone for the shadow?

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #7,757 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the quick answer!So is it really important what dap you have sony x or iphone for the shadow?

ALO have just released a LOD for the sony so that will help in getting a cleaner sound from the source to the amp without the need to buy an iPod/iPhone to gain that line out sound.

It's a little pricy for some but im sure that other companies and DIY'ers will follow suit and produce some more economical options if they are not already.

Does the sony output any lossless formats? that would certainly help in getting the most out of your music also.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #7,759 of 10,743
Quote:

As I know it does not support lossless formats.

Well in that case, here's my two cents without having first hand knowledge.

I know how hard a dint some JH customs makes to your wallet but........ if you are going to make such a massive investment, it may be a wise idea to also invest in a source that will help you get the most out of your heaphones.

I hear the sony is a great player. i myself dabbled in the thought of getting one myself but i also remember it not supporting lossless which is a shame IMO and i've been very happy with my Cowon D2 for a number of years now.
Sadly my cowon doesn't have a true line out which i feel may hinder my amping experiance so i've found myself buying both a very nice mini-mini IC and a matching LOD for my iPhone 3Gs to determine which one will be my primary source. I absolutely love the EQ on my cowon as i love to push the bass levels (hence my decision to wait for the JH16's) but my iPhone MAY provide a cleaner output. At this stage i dont know first hand but i cant wait to find out.

What i do know is that lossless, being it FLAC or ALAC (apple lossless) hands down is a massive improvement to my ears over 320kbs mp3 files. It's cleaner, more separated and can be pushed harder in the EQ and volume department.

So it may be worth it to you to look into a new source if you're going upmarket with some JH love so that you can play some lossless but you may not feel the need. Mind you i dont think you can go wrong with an iPhone 3Gs for multiple reasons besides that it plays music.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #7,760 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The idea behind this wasn't the really the portable side but the money one, if I won't get that much differences between a full desktop amp and a portable one with a iem like jh13 I would prefer going portable, saving some bucks.

In my experience, get best amp you can for your JH13, they scale extremly well. I'm not sure about Mini3 vs minimax, but when I compared my desktop amp-Bvaudio to Ibasso D10, Jh13 sound significantly better on desktop.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 12, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #7,761 of 10,743
to my ears the ALO Rx has no flaws with the JH13, until I'm proven wrong with maybe the slim or protector but I don't have an opportunity to audition them unless I buy them.

LintHart, As for FLAC playback and line-out probably the best choice in the market right now is the Nationite S:Flo2 which I got my eye on.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #7,763 of 10,743
I have one query on soundstage. Does the JH13 have a wider soundstage than Grado RS1 or GS1000? Also do they sound more open than an RS1? in my experience, Grado RS1/GS1000 have the most open out of head sounding music experience.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #7,764 of 10,743
For home amps, are there any ideas on what the optimal gain is with JH13? I'm guessing it's a gain of 5, but should I go lower, to say 3 or 4? Asking 'cause Mapletree Audio is letting me pick the gain, and I don't want to screw up on a $700 order
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #7,766 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by niranhopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one query on soundstage. Does the JH13 have a wider soundstage than Grado RS1 or GS1000? Also do they sound more open than an RS1? in my experience, Grado RS1/GS1000 have the most open out of head sounding music experience.

RS1 doesn't have much of a soundstage, so definetly

Can't comment on GS1000 as I haven't heard it

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #7,767 of 10,743
Are the JH13 also as open sounding as the RS1? Can they excel the RS1 in rock?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS1 doesn't have much of a soundstage, so definetly

Can't comment on GS1000 as I haven't heard it

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #7,768 of 10,743
Another happy JH13 owner checking in. I've had mine for 4 days now. I lucked out and got a good fit on both sides first time as well
ksc75smile.gif

It's too early for much of a detailed opinion, but I can say these pretty much cr*p on upper tier universal IEM's. I've been buying too many expensive universals and it's been (and still is) fun, but the clear separation between the sound of the JH13 and everything else I've heard in IEMs is amazing. I can't recall a product I've bought that so clearly defined itself as better than it's competition like these do. I had fairly high expectations based on price and head-fi postings and they are definitely met.

The comparisons with high end headphones is going to take a while though. I'm not ready to concede JH13's can totally replace a HD800 or O2 as I've read some members state.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #7,769 of 10,743
Quote:

No I don't have JH13...
tongue.gif

Based on what I have read, JH13 seems to be good even out of iPhone, that is the reason I am considering them as I hate the idea of amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back