JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Mar 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #7,741 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then, I went to CanJam '09 and Ultimate Ears and Jerry Harvey Audio were there showing off their universal demos of their custom IEM. First I want to say that the demo universal versions do not sound exactly like they will as a full custom. The JH13Pro demo had a 3-4dB spike at around 6Khz and the bass was less than the real thing, and the UE11Pro demo also did not have as much bass as the real thing either. The JH10x3 actually sounded best out of all their demos, and sounded like something between my ES3X and Westone 3/UM56 which I did bring to CanJam with me. The UE10Pro and UE11Pro demos both sounded similar to each other and my ES3X, but based on descriptions here on head-fi they should have sounded very different from each other. So, I wouldn't put much weight in a universal demo of a custom IEM. It may give you an idea of how it might sound, but will not sound just like the custom made just for your ears.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #7,742 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, as i'm sitting here waiting for my cheques to come in (the moolah that's going to be bankrolling my own set of 13s), i'm starting to get cold feet. i'm worried that after spending so much on earphones i'm going to regret for having overspent.

So i keep reading and re-reading all the great stuff yall have said about the 13s here to keep me going.

Ahh the wait is so painful! i can only imagine that the wait after sending impressions in and waiting for 'em to come in is going to be even more anxiety inducing.

A part of me says get UM's Mage for half the price and run with it. but i know that at the back of my mind i'll still be wondering what if i had gone with the 13s.

For those of you who tried the universal version of the 13, how much of an improvement is the custom version?

I tried the universals and was simply blown away - in a way i never have been - though my experience is severely lacking.

How much of a step down is say the JH5? or the Mage for those who've tried them.

In severe need of some reassurance here =(

I wouldn't worry. I will be very surprised if you don't love them.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #7,743 of 10,743
I rarely post about gear but have to make an exception on the JH13. Since it is somewhat of a leap of faith to spend the heavy bread and endure the process of impressions, ordering, waiting and (finally) delivery, only to be followed by possibly multiple return trips to JHA to perfect the fit, I can only say to those on the fence that it is absolutely worth all the money and time.

I have been chasing high-end audio reproduction for 30 years and consider the JH13 as possibly the only piece of gear I would label as "absolutely perfect." And I don't care if it's through a high-end CD-based home rig or 320kbps out of an iPhone, these babies are the real deal.

I've had mine for about a month and have probably had them in for 100 hours, with 8 comfy hours being my one-session record. My were returned only once and only for left-side fit. After owning a handful of universals over recent years with a real lack of joy from comfort, all I can say is that 10 minutes after I put the JH13 in, it simply disappears inside my head. Think brain implant. Actually, think crazy-awesome-yes-there-is-an-audio-god brain implant. Just perfect sound and comfort.

To those on the fence, I say jump. To those without the deep pockets, I say save those duckets, sell unused stuff on eeebay or even get another job but don't settle for less. And to those who, oh no!, just can't decide on the JH13/JH16/UE-whatever I say I hope you get it all worked out.
wink.gif

A big thank you to all have posted here because it was the reason I took the leap. It's kinda funny but I never thought my headphone journey would end, yet that is what seems to have happened. Future purchases are suddenly hard to imagine.

JH13. Holy Grail. YMMV but frankly I doubt it...

Best to all,
Jim aka 251

[size=xx-small]p.s. - If anyone needs perfect impressions in Fairfax County, VA, pm me...[/size]

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #7,744 of 10,743
Well mine are hitting UPS to send back for a refit and new faceplate. Hopefully they won't be gone too long. I'll miss them.
frown.gif

Back to my UE 11pros. waaaaaahaaaa!

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #7,745 of 10,743
sorry double post.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #7,746 of 10,743
I ordered everything for a mini3 yesterday so once its all built I will let you know how it sounds. I may also get the bits for a bantamDAC too

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #7,748 of 10,743
yep, and then hopefully a miniMAX:
3254199196_5515df680a.jpg

which imo looks gorgeous.
but I can't wait to hear the 13's with the mini3

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #7,749 of 10,743
I'm listening to a Nine Inch Nails dvd and my UE 11s. Boy these UE don't do the video just or the video is a really crappy copy. Even with my Shadow I can't get a good sound. I miss my JH 13s and they just walked out the door for a refit.
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #7,751 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have an Minimax and I'm planing to get the jh13s, selling the minimax to get something like a mini^3 is a good idea ?

oh wow..well depends I guess lol if you're more after portable usage then yea I guess it would make sense, depending on DIY experience look at a Pimeta v2 also..though I can't say how either sound with JH13's just yet but I will let you know in a couple of weeks time on the mini3.

I will fingers crossed be getting the MiniMAX kit in May. I also finished my PCB design for SSMH today so will be making that in the next couple of weeks, may do a DAC also.

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #7,752 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh wow..well depends I guess lol if you're more after portable usage then yea I guess it would make sense, depending on DIY experience look at a Pimeta v2 also..though I can't say how either sound with JH13's just yet but I will let you know in a couple of weeks time on the mini3.

I will fingers crossed be getting the MiniMAX kit in May. I also finished my PCB design for SSMH today so will be making that in the next couple of weeks, may do a DAC also.

The idea behind this wasn't the really the portable side but the money one, if I won't get that much differences between a full desktop amp and a portable one with a iem like jh13 I would prefer going portable, saving some bucks.

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #7,753 of 10,743
Sorry I have sony-x1000 and um3x, and I want to uprade to jh13. Do you think I need to buy a portable amp for this combination such as the Shadow or P51?

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #7,754 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I have sony-x1000 and um3x, and I want to uprade to jh13. Do you think I need to buy a portable amp for this combination such as the Shadow or P51?

Jerry's recommendation for the JH13's is the ALO Rx and the p-51 or shadow for the upcoming JH16's. I myself am opting for the Pico Slim which has alot of praise from the people who have heard the sample. though i'll admit, im beginning to have second thoughts now that Jerry has said he likes the shadow with JH16's so hopefully he will hear the Pico Slim in the near future if he hasn't already

i've heard that using an amp with the JH13's is "like opening the floodgates" so although i dont yet own a set of Jerry's amazing customs (hopefully they'll be built next week
biggrin.gif
) or a proper amp to accompany, im still going to say it might be a good thing to look into if you can afford it. you can always resell the amp if you feel it doesn't make too much of a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back