JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Nov 5, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #5,776 of 10,747
I don't think the color is as critical as the artwork is. The transparent colors tend to look darker when you have them in your canal. My navy blue earpieces look quite a deep blue/navy-ish to start off with, but looks even darker (midnight bluish, almost black) and very discreet when I wear them (might have something to do with the fact that I have brown skin). The Monkey brings up a valid point -- I opted out because I don't want to stand out.

Also, seems like isolation refits are catching on.

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #5,778 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isolation is about 3dB more than my initial fit, which still doesn't compare to the ER-4P.

Anyway to describe how marginal this is? For those of us who fly a lot, we'd need more than something marginal like 3dB, right?

As was posted yesterday, I think the JH13s are not designed for situations with high ambient noise but for quieter listening environments.

Interestingly, my right side is a tad looser than the left which stays put all the time. Another right side anomaly?

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #5,779 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway to describe how marginal this is? For those of us who fly a lot, we'd need more than something marginal like 3dB, right?

As was posted yesterday, I think the JH13s are not designed for situations with high ambient noise but for quieter listening environments.

Interestingly, my right side is a tad looser than the left which stays put all the time. Another right side anomaly?

This is the same problem I was having. It wasn't like the right side was going to fall out, but I couldn't feel it against the walls of my ear canal. The sound quality seemed identical on both sides but I had less isolation on the right. I sent it in for a re-fit, they should get here tomorrow.

Nov 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #5,781 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsilvio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The right ear was causing a sore in my ear canal. This is a much different problem than weather the seal is perfect etc..

Yes, they are probably well aware that this is my 4th refit. I have been in touch with Zac and so far he is being exceptionally nice about the whole thing. I do appreciate their willingness to remake them for a 4th time. I am going to get another set of impression and send those in next week. Hopefully this will be the last time!

Painful !!! sorry to hear man.

I am about to embark in my first refit....so all these posts .... I worry and wonder, would it not be safer/smarter to go directly with new impressions ?

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #5,782 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shelly, my only piece of advice is to choose something that you are confident you will be happy with for a long time. Also, I recommend something that you wouldn't mind being seen in in public. While I love the fact that my avatar is on my UE5c, it's not always the kind of thing I want sticking out of my ears on an airplane or subway.

Good advice, this is why I am not getting any custom artwork on mine.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #5,783 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by giovanni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Painful !!! sorry to hear man.

I am about to embark in my first refit....so all these posts .... I worry and wonder, would it not be safer/smarter to go directly with new impressions ?

If it helps at all, I was talking to Adam at JHA about how they know how to fix the fit, like I told him that my right IEM didn't feel wide enough in the canal region. He told me that they have pretty standard fixes, like for my case he said he was going to apply two coats of acrylic to the canal region.

I guess they just do their standard fixes and hope it works out, they know enough to bank on that most ears aren't all that different.

So, keeping that in mind, if the first impression was really bad, applying layers or sanding off layers would probably not fix the fit. But if the first impression was pretty good, then you might just need a little more acrylic here, a little less there, and boom, awesome fit.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #5,784 of 10,747
The more I read about the refits, the less I want to deal with this. It's really not a pleasant experience when customs don't fit right. Do you guys feel confident that they will get it right? I know that refitting customs can be part of the process, but do you folks feel like this is more than "normal."

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #5,785 of 10,747
Quote:

The more I read about the refits, the less I want to deal with this. It's really not a pleasant experience when customs don't fit right. Do you guys feel confident that they will get it right? I know that refitting customs can be part of the process, but do you folks feel like this is more than "normal."

Well in my case it seems more than normal. It may be due to the material itself. I have or have had custom silicone sleeves for e500, er4, musicians ear plugs. I also own sennsaphonics 2x-s'. I never had the problems I'm having now for whatever reason. I feel confident that I will eventually have a pair I'm happy with. As frustrating as this has been for me over almost 3 months, I at least have a pair of great sounding IEMS to use while the JH-13's get sorted out. If on the other hand this was my first experience with customs, I would probably feel more frustrated. I'm trying to be patient and hope for the best.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #5,786 of 10,747
Quote:

The more I read about the refits, the less I want to deal with this. It's really not a pleasant experience when customs don't fit right.

Simple solution Vincent.

Send them your UE-10's to scan and they will be an exact match (mine were).
Don't get new impressions, let them make replicas of your 10's. Mine are an exact match in every direction to mine. Your solution is easier than anyone's who doesn't already have a custom.

C U soon, dude.

A-

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #5,787 of 10,747
Quote:

The initial fit was absolutely comfortable for me and sounded excellent, it was only a matter of isolation.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #5,788 of 10,747
Aaron, that's the problem. I was never happy with the fit of my UE-10, so I would need new impressions. I'm sure there's someone good in Manhattan, though, right?

(NOT THAT I AM GETTING THESE.)

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #5,790 of 10,747
Quote:

Aaron, that's the problem. I was never happy with the fit of my UE-10, so I would need new impressions. I'm sure there's someone good in Manhattan, though, right?

(NOT THAT I AM GETTING THESE.)

Not that you'll need this information since you're so obviously not even thinking of buying JH13s, but...
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/a...6/#post5940656

Thread starter quotes that JH considers Dr. Beth Orliss ((201) 960-3714) in NY one of the best in the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back