JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #4,966 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as your impressions are good they should fit very well when they arrive.

Transparent vs. solid should not be an issue with JHA's current build quality standards, with no more "late Friday" shells (sorry MaoDi!).

Of curious note is that I find the isolation the JH13 provides to be significantly less than that of something like the Etymotic ER-4P. This is understandable as I used tri-flanges with the latter and was probably getting close to the advertised maximum 42dB of isolation as my canals and the tri-flanges went well together, like peanut butter and banana.

That said, I've never been in the "mere" -26dB ballpark before and noticed that it's substantially easier for me to carry on a conversation without taking the earpieces out as long as I just pause the music. I can even comfortably talk to someone with the earpieces in from about 10 feet away without either of us having to raise our voices. I know I have a great seal because the sound doesn't change and the relative isolation stays consistent even when I push the earpieces against my ears, and as the manual says it "balances a ball on its nose." Is this normal?

I find this comparatively mild (compared to Etymotic's excessive) seal to be advantageous, since I hated having to take the ER-4P in and out all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my pair (#1750), and they look great and fit excellent. There is no change in sound or seal no matter how wide I open my jaws or if I push against them into my ears.

I noticed these are less bassier than I was expecting. Comparatively my Grado HF2 (the only other headphone I have, with about 200 hours of burn-in) have much more midbass. The bass on the JH13 seems to be more visceral and reach deeper. Does this sound about correct to you guys? I know many JH13 owners also own the HF2. I actually find myself sometimes reaching for the HF2 when I want to have a fun time with oodles of midbass and a bit of the Grado character. I guess I'll probably keep them both.

Also, does anyone else's Otterbox close a bit unconvincingly? Mine doesn't seem to want to close when the hinge reaches about a 10 degree angle, though I can force it shut just fine. I don't know if this is just part of the Otterbox design.

And they look beautiful (I ordered navy blue in transparent with black cables). I noticed the cable management piece shown in the manual seems to be circular, but mine is instead a small, clear tube of plastic. Not sure how much of a big deal that is.

Missing mid-bass, talking from far away.. could be a fitment issue?

EDIT: looks like -26db isn't as much isolation as i thought. Any idea how much isolation bi-flanges give?

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #4,967 of 10,747
It isn't missing midbass, it just has much less than the HF2. Not sure if it's the same way for others but the level of bass is just fine to my ears. I'm more curious about the isolation.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #4,968 of 10,747
I am very, very happy with the isolation. Some IEM's make me feel like I am walking around in a vacuum but the JH13's do provide that bit of acoustical feedback, with the music turn off, or even when on, that keeps me from feeling like I am some other world.

Listening to Janis Joplin, live at Winterland '68. Great sound and the 13's do Janis justice!

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #4,969 of 10,747
I have decided to completely boycott music until my JH13s arrive...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #4,970 of 10,747
I think this company JHA is alright! I really appreciate Jerry for taking a great pride in delivering the ultimate for his customers.

Jerry told me my stems might have been cut rather too short so he is completely remaking the ear piece so the stems are just touch shorter than original and make it more flush on my ear. Since he's completely remaking my shells, I asked him if I can have different color and I am getting new color, black.

Ooooh~ I can't wait...JHA does value its customers and that's real cool!

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #4,972 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happybottle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided to completely boycott music until my JH13s arrive...
smily_headphones1.gif

Initially the JH13 Pro didn't WOW me (as it didn't many others, from what I've read), they were just so far beyond anything I had ever heard before that it was impossible for my ears to comprehend their prowess.

Now whenever I take them out, real life seems low-fidelity.
frown.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #4,973 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This saying makes me think about high end audio being just a subtle change. And we just force our selves to think our more expensive equipment is waaaay better. Thus the reason why we tell our selves when people don't find much of a difference between our high end headphones and their cheap headphones " they don't know what to listen for ". Why is it everyone can immediately see a difference between a standard definition TV vs a high definition one but it's not so easy with audio?

Because most people are very visual and describing the difference between HD and standard definition video is very easy. All you need is one word to describe them: clear. Consequently, since it's so clear, we're able to see more details. So in short, there isn't much vocabulary in describing their differences.

Now think about audio, without the proper vocabulary, how can you describe something. With the exception of the word "clear" and "more bass", the average Joe doesn't know any words they can use to describe what they hear. They don't know "soundstage", "imaging", "definition", "extension"...etc. It's much like how an average Joe wouldn't understand the symbols that are used in advanced math courses. Sure they can see what these symbols look like when they're in front of them, but they lack the proper vocabulary to describe them.
wink.gif

Here's a perfect example of what I mentioned above, all my friends that have heard my K1000 and W5000 would only have one word to describe them, and you guessed it: "clear".

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #4,974 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very well put.
beyersmile.png

Please don't tell me you're putting your eardrums through ultimate torture with that rig in your signature.
confused_face(1).gif

Are you discriminating against my setup?
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #4,976 of 10,747
gah! I don't think I've every agonized over colour so much in my life! I've spent more time sea sawing between Deadwood vs. Red/blue (left/right) vs transparent then I ever did choosing the colour for my CAR! arrrrgh!

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #4,977 of 10,747
A friendly man in a shiny brown truck just rang my doorbell with a big brown box. JH13, JH5 (for the missus), and a complimentary T-shirt.

See you guys again around Christmas

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #4,978 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friendly man in a shiny brown truck just rang my doorbell with a big brown box. JH13, JH5 (for the missus), and a complimentary T-shirt.

See you guys again around Christmas

You know the drill. Be sure to give us a comparison of the JH13 and the K1000.
beerchug.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #4,979 of 10,747
I'll even do it out of the same amp, Gary
smily_headphones1.gif

In all seriousness, though, these things are the final nail in the coffin for the E-MU 0404s amp. Significantly less detailed and more muffled than the iphone 3g directly.

It would also seem I got a perfect fit the first time, likely because Thone from JH did my impressions at RMAF. Hopefully my wife's fit her as well as mine do me: I know she's rather nervous, having previously balked at spending $30 to get herself a pair of yuin PK3.

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #4,980 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh-oh. I received words that mine will be shipped out this Friday.

Perhaps I should be worried about the "Late Friday Syndrome"...
tongue.gif

Oooh, me too! Our JH13s might be sitting right next to eachother, LOL.

Love your signature rig, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back