JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 13, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #4,951 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting the Lune version from Null Audio sent to the UK. Due in a few days. I'll be taking them to Manchester on the 7th if you are there. I'll have the LISA III for you to try too.

Sceptre

John,

is that Lune cable the one specified for the TF10's? cuz I can't see a specific cable for the JH13's. Might get me one of those or a custom off Jeremy (QUSP)

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #4,952 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that a snake?
ph34r.gif

Well it's probably closer to a dragon. I just said a snake because most ouroboros use snakes.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #4,953 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that a snake?
ph34r.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it's probably closer to a dragon. I just said a snake because most ouroboros use snakes.

Yeah, Dragon at-one-ment is usually a snake.
tongue.gif

(read the Lost Symbol)

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #4,954 of 10,747
I also had fit problems because my canals were too long.
The re-fitted shells are abolutely perfect. Not too long and not too short canals. Unnecessary short canals may have a negative effect on sound quality. Also the overall build quality of my re-fitted JH13 is top notch. I'm highly satisfied. Kudos to JHA.

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #4,955 of 10,747
Well, I've been following and reading through this thread for a week, and I'm finally reach the breaking point in resisting these. I have a question though, are they able to produce high quality images/etching on the iems yet? I was looking through the Facebook fan page and they have some pretty sick images on there which leads me to believe that they upgrade their equipment to reproduce some quality designs onto the iem. Just wanted to verify! Can anyone shed some light on this? This is basically holding me back, i know they sound awesome but for the cash i'm about to dish out, it has to be perfect.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #4,956 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've been following and reading through this thread for a week, and I'm finally reach the breaking point in resisting these. I have a question though, are they able to produce high quality images/etching on the iems yet? I was looking through the Facebook fan page and they have some pretty sick images on there which leads me to believe that they upgrade their equipment to reproduce some quality designs onto the iem. Just wanted to verify! Can anyone shed some light on this? This is basically holding me back, i know they sound awesome but for the cash i'm about to dish out, it has to be perfect.

I haven't seen any higher quality work done on JH13s. Maybe you can provide us the link to those images?

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #4,958 of 10,747
Some very cool ideas for colours there.
Colours, gah! the decision is KILLING me. I really wish they had earmolds in the colours they can do, like UE does for. I THINK I want "deadwood" a rich dark dark brown/black, but I have no idea what it actually looks like. I feel like a traitor going solid colour, but as a graphic designer, I'm obsessed with the details, and if they had air bubbles, dust or fingerprints, I think I'd be disappointed. Solid colour avoids these.

On to my question, I'm 98% committed to making an order for these, when I started looking I was 40%, then I researched here and was 60%, then Jerry Harvey actually responded to my e-mails, and it went to 90%. (big fan of good customer service, and when it is a good product as well...)

My concern is, these will be my very first custom IEM's. Reading threads here, it seems like there is an adjustment period. Any idea how long? two weeks? longer? Is there an "Adjusting to your first IEM's"? thread?

As well I'm curious, my portables right now are Shure's SE530's. (Which I find a bit bulky, but sound good) What increase in quality would you say I can expect? 30% better? 40%? more? less?

Thanks for any advice (I am working through this thread, but I'm only on page 150!)

Cheers
Stick

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #4,960 of 10,747
If you think the Se530 is bulky, then Custom monitors will scare you. Custom Monitors easily double the Se530 volume wise.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #4,961 of 10,747
hmm, maybe "bulky" was the wrong word. I just felt like I was always fidgeting with them, uncomfortably conscious that they were there, and even with the foam tips. I was under the impression that custom monitors while big, fit smoother, and don't require "adjusting" and stay in your ears better.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #4,962 of 10,747
OH well then in that case customs are much better with a proper fit you barely know they are in and you really don't notice them in your ears at all. One of the main advantages of using a custom is the comfort factor.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #4,963 of 10,747
I'm in the same boat as you, stick. My current IEMs are Shure E500s and this will be my first custom IEM. Having read this ridiculously long thread, though, I was sold about a week ago. My only concern now, of course, is whether they're going to fit when they arrive or whether I'm going to have to send them back for a refit.

I also went through the color choice dilemma but ended up settling on translucent black, I would be very curious to see how deadwood solid looks, please post pics if you do end up getting them.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #4,964 of 10,747
I was liking Carolina blue... but now I am remembering that one of the points of IEMs in my mind is that they are inconspicuous and I don't want to be drawing any extra attention to myself with bright colours (especially while travelling I don't like openly advertising the fact that I have so much expensive gear on me), so I'm thinking tried and true solid black may be the way to go....

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #4,965 of 10,747
As long as your impressions are good they should fit very well when they arrive.

Transparent vs. solid should not be an issue with JHA's current build quality standards, with no more "late Friday" shells (sorry MaoDi!).

Of curious note is that I find the isolation the JH13 provides to be significantly less than that of something like the Etymotic ER-4P. This is understandable as I used tri-flanges with the latter and was probably getting close to the advertised maximum 42dB of isolation as my canals and the tri-flanges went well together, like peanut butter and banana.

That said, I've never been in the "mere" -26dB ballpark before and noticed that it's substantially easier for me to carry on a conversation without taking the earpieces out as long as I just pause the music. I can even comfortably talk to someone with the earpieces in from about 10 feet away without either of us having to raise our voices. I know I have a great seal because the sound doesn't change and the relative isolation stays consistent even when I push the earpieces against my ears, and as the manual says it "balances a ball on its nose." Is this normal?

I find this comparatively mild (compared to Etymotic's excessive) seal to be advantageous, since I hated having to take the ER-4P in and out all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back