JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 4, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #4,786 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far I like JH Audio's support. Unlike dialing and listening to a machine, I go directly to Jerry himself. I called him twice and asked some pretty specific questions. He answered them with ease.

So far, I like what I'm seeing. It looks like my money will be going towards him.

I'll have to try that (calling), since two of my emails sent a while ago have gone unanswered. Another one was answered but took almost two weeks.

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #4,788 of 10,745
I never thought about the box when I bought the 13's. That isn't why I bought them. I just got a 200mm f2 Canon lens recently that cost 5X as much as the 13's. It came with a real nice case. I don't care about the case and don't use it. I would prefer them to have left the case out and reduce the price by 500 that they charge for the case. In the "case" of the case for the 13's, it is even less significant though any case is fine with me. I listen to them and take images with the 200.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #4,789 of 10,745
I wonder if there was this much hassle about a box when someone thought a 15ft extension cable and 1/4" to 1/8" adapter was worth more than some flimsy cardboard.

If you really have issues with the box, call up JH Audio and cancel your order. if 60 bucks is the deal breaker for you on a 1000+ item, then you know what -Don't stand for it. Reject a wonderful product. Kick JH in the mud and continue to stomp on his name and bad mouth a product that you never tried, touch, bought. By all means do it, its become the "thing" to do since ipods came out. Go ahead, do it, the mud is waiting.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #4,790 of 10,745
Were they the same price, I'd prefer the more functional otterbox. I hear the concerns about relative values, but it's more complex than retail prices.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #4,793 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree and said as much a week ago. This is true with any high end speaker and source, the quality of the recording will be revealed and if it is a piss poor engineering job, you will hear it in all it's defects. For example, I find the Clash, London Calling a great album, but can't stand to hear it now because of how revealing the JH13s are.

oh yeah they can still expose things to a degree that they are unpleasant, but I rarely listen to that music anymore anyway. I just find that the effect is not as extreme as I thought it would be in relation to how resolving they are. I think what makes them still listenable and hell even powerful to listen to in those situations is simply the fascination with the IEMs performance, rather than the lack of musical or otherwise technical brilliance of source and production values.

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't hear this at all. As John states, whatever sounds good sounds better, and whatever sounds bad, still sounds bad.

sure, its a hard thing to describe what i'm trying to explain. I think i've put it into words as well as I can, they are just so technically brilliant and musical/emotive that I find myself fascinated with even sub-par recordings (as long as the performance is great) that other more touchy gear I have heard would render very unpleasant because of treble resonances or sibilance or whatever. its just I think because these things do all this with seemingly very little effort, not all is good though and some is just too bad for even the romantic in me to ignore. i'm gonna give up trying to explain it now though as it really seems incongruous even to me, because I cant figure it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if there was this much hassle about a box when someone thought a 15ft extension cable and 1/4" to 1/8" adapter was worth more than some flimsy cardboard.

If you really have issues with the box, call up JH Audio and cancel your order. if 60 bucks is the deal breaker for you on a 1000+ item, then you know what -Don't stand for it. Reject a wonderful product. Kick JH in the mud and continue to stomp on his name and bad mouth a product that you never tried, touch, bought. By all means do it, its become the "thing" to do since ipods came out. Go ahead, do it, the mud is waiting.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
LMAO

I just had visions of myself and the shipping expose, how silly I must have seemed to those in my relative position noww. I do understand wanting to get what you paid for guys, but turning this thread into a too and fro about the case is really over the top. I have the CF case. I quite like the look of it, I have used it once, I wouldnt use the otterbox either though as my rig wouldnt fit in there either. I have other more suitable cases for uber portable and my rig.

one thing is for sure, you will never make everyone happy. in contrast, the sound of these things is almost guaranteed to keep a smile on your face, forget the case, I have. same with the shipping faisco, I only remember it in times like these
redface.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #4,794 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never thought about the box when I bought the 13's. That isn't why I bought them. I just got a 200mm f2 Canon lens recently that cost 5X as much as the 13's. It came with a real nice case. I don't care about the case and don't use it. I would prefer them to have left the case out and reduce the price by 500 that they charge for the case. In the "case" of the case for the 13's, it is even less significant though any case is fine with me. I listen to them and take images with the 200.

(spot on jamato8!)

Box?
They came with a box?

I'm too busy enjoying the Aural Sex these little beauties provide,
to waste precious "listening-time", thinking about boxes!
icon10.gif

imho:
JH13 performance simply has to be heard, to be believed.
They are the single most disruptive audio transducer product I've ever come across.

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #4,795 of 10,745
I've been listening to these using a variety of sources and agree that they do scale up considerably with a good headphone amp (although I only have one). This doesn't mean they sound bad with other sources. With all sources, no other cans or IEM compares IMO (although I haven't heard all).

When listening through low-end equipment, the balance the JH13 provides supersedes the equipment's shortcomings. I would think for most listeners, the difference isn't valued too much until going up the chain. And even when going back down the chain, the difference isn't objectionable, even though a direct comparison is more pronounced.

Even though there are many traits that make up the differences, the most noticeable between my equipment tends to be frequency response, noise level, and output capability, in that order. There are others, but those are the main ones.

When, for example, comparing the headphone output of the Lavry DA11 to all other lower end sources, the bass is more prominent and much more focused, tight, and powerful. The midrange is fuller and the highs are not strident. There isn't one particular broad area in the frequency range that grabs negative attention, unlike when listening through the lower end equipment (slight). Again, there are other differences, but those are the most noticeable.

Specific relative observations:

LG Dare: Surprisingly good but has a hard time driving the JH13 to somewhat loud levels (not overly loud). Noise isn't a problem when the music is playing, but the phone's software produces random noise when music is not playing. I don't notice this as much with lower quality devices like the CX300 (totally different league there), even though the CX300 provides much higher output with this particular phone.

1820M: Good output capability but bass is relatively thin and highs are somewhat strident/overly pronounced. Noise level very low.

Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop: Comparable to the LG Dare but much, much more noisy. Frequency balance isn't quite up to the LG Dare suprisingly, but the output capability is much greater. Highs a little strident, and bass is a little thin.

Denon AVR-1802: The worst (least best?) of the bunch. Surprisingly very edgy, ear-piercing highs in comparison to all others (I'm talking relative here), but still listenable. Noise is not a problem.

Lavry DA11: Powerful, focused, tight, and more pronounced bass. Fuller midrange. Highs not overly pronounced with no hint of edginess. Wider dynamics, non-existent noise. Drives easily to loud levels (not recommended
normal_smile .gif
).

Again, these are relative impressions. Listening through any of these devices is an enjoyable experience with the JH13s. If you don't have an amp now, it's nice to know that you can't go anywhere but up if you decide to get one (or more) in the future.

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #4,797 of 10,745
StudioTan,

thanks for the detailed observations.
Your experience tends to confirm my suspicion, that there is a lot more music to be teased out of Jerry's almost supernatural drivers on the 13's.

Since I'm committed to Ray Samuels' Mustang and soon, Shadow for my portable rig,
I'd sure like to find a great aftermarket cable.

Have been bugging Ken Ball at ALO to build some out of SXC.

Anybody out there listening to the Null Audio Enyo or Lune, with the 13's through a Mustang?

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #4,798 of 10,745
I am about to! Have to resolder my enyo cable then I will test it out. Will let you know. Although I'm afraid my ears aren't nearly as trained as our fellow head-fiers.

Simply bought this as I plan to mix with the JH-13s (don't have an acoustically capable studio).

My rig ipod 6g 80gb > alo cryo sxc lod > p-51 mustang > jh13

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #4,799 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by norfolkNchance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am about to! Have to resolder my enyo cable then I will test it out. Will let you know. Although I'm afraid my ears aren't nearly as trained as our fellow head-fiers.

Simply bought this as I plan to mix with the JH-13s (don't have an acoustically capable studio).

My rig ipod 6g 80gb > alo cryo sxc lod > p-51 mustang > jh13

norfolkNchance,
Looking forward to your observations.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back