JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 4, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #4,771 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[snip]

Well the thing is, there have been around 1700 JH13's made, which is over 1.7 million in revenue, and that's not including all the other models. Now if we subtract labor, which isn't much since they don't have that many employees and we subtract materials, which aren't much - you can see knowles' prices yourself - there's a whole lot of money left over. There's nothing wrong with profit, but it seems like JH Audio is cutting back simply because the JH13 is the best custom of the moment.

It would have been nice, and surely not cost that much, to offer buyer's a choice between CF and otterbox, or to let buyers pay an additional $15 to get an otterbox in addition to the CF case. Charging $75 for the CF case seems over the top; they've already made a good amount on the IEM's and now they want to make more from the case?

My issue is that I ordered my JH13's when people were still getting CF cases and then I found out after JH Audio already had my impressions that they had decided to switch to otterboxes and there was not an option to get the CF cases. Now, of course, I still would have bought the JH13's regardless of the case, but the ethics of switching it seem a bit questionable.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #4,774 of 10,747
Quote:

The Otterbox costs about $11.49 and is quite practical for the application.
I am a scuba diver and it is what we use on the boat (in various different sizes). It is completely waterproof and can take a huge hit or drop.
I'm not sure what the wholesale cost to JH Audio is for the "carbon fiber box", but I doubt it cost $79 and it is more bling than effectiveness.

That's irrelevant. If the Otterbox retails for $11.49 and the carbon fiber box retails for $79, that's still a difference of more than $65 that isn't reflected on the customer.

Quote:

It is only held closed by a magnet, and it is too big for portability. I'm pretty sure that the price of the headphones were not affected by the box.

It's a whole package. Of course the price of the whole package is affected by its content. If a business doesn't take into account costly accessories that come with its main product, they need to find themselves another accountant!

Quote:

And if the Otterbox was what was originally packaged with the 13's (this is all my fault...sorry),

Yes, yes, you created a monster, we know how proud that makes you. *shrug*

Quote:

then none of these issues would be coming up and it would be accepted as the price including accompanied accessories.

Yup. But that's not the case, is it?

Quote:

I say, take a chill pill

I say, take one yourself? Your posts were a lot more vehement than mine. Until now, that is, because that's funny how telling people to "take a chill pill" always has the effect of upsetting them. Silly human beings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I find interesting is that folks complained about the large, fairly useless case, so they changed it to something more practical and useful, though certainly less expensive. Now, people are complaining that they don't have or can't get the first case for free. Guess that's the way it goes.

$1100 - $79 + $12 = $1100

The whole issue has to do with numbers and the value given to items, not their intrinsic value. If what mattered in our society was the intrinsic value of things, then iron would be valued more than gold: there are more uses for the former than for the latter. Or to make it even simpler: banknotes would be valueless, as would coins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I consider the first case as the early-adopters edition, for those who basically took the risk right after CanJam. Mind you, that risk has also included inconsistent art quality, and the occasional mess up (two folks getting theirs switched), which seems to be improving, and will presumably get better still.

You can consider the case an early-adopters gift, but that's simply not what it was. The early-adopter gift was a $100 rebate.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #4,775 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, yes, you created a monster, we know how proud that makes you. *shrug*
------------------------------------------
Yup. But that's not the case, is it?
------------------------------------------
I say, take one yourself? Your posts were a lot more vehement than mine. Until now, that is, because that's funny how telling people to "take a chill pill" always has the effect of upsetting them. Silly human beings.
-------------------------------------------
You can consider the case an early-adopters gift, but that's simply not what it was. The early-adopter gift was a $100 rebate.

You sir, are not a very nice person.
frown.gif

What's up with the attitude? If you don't think you are getting your money's worth, then spend your money elsewhere. Something tells me that you will never be happy in this situation.
What's up with the *shrug*? That's pretty condescending. This is supposed to be fun.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #4,776 of 10,747
AtomikPi, you fell in a rough spot. People ordering now know what cases they're getting, and what they're paying for the package, with no upfront surprises. You didn't, which is unfortunate.

That being said, your speculation about JH's profit is really just speculation. So far as I know, they have 12 employees, plus R&D, tooling costs, outsourcing for what they can't tool, etc. They're also a brand new company which needs to offset startup costs and pay back (or at least justify) their venture capital. I don't know what the actual cost to them is, considering everything. It is, however, more than their employees' hourly wages plus their parts costs.

It is not uncommon for a manufacturer to adjust prices when the maket for their product changes. That's exactly what JHA is doing. It's not unreasonable for us to discuss how that change affects owners and prospective buyers, but I think it's too harsh to call it "unethical". This is a luxury product, to say the least, and there's more to the economies of scale in the production of the headphones and accessories than might meet the eye.

In short, I get the otter case, and I'm not upset. Like everyone, I would love for the price to be lower, but I can't say that changing the accessory set necessarily means the price should change as well.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #4,777 of 10,747
Quote:

You sir, are not a very nice person.
frown.gif

What's up with the attitude? If you don't think you are getting your money's worth, then spend your money elsewhere. Something tells me that you will never be happy in this situation.
What's up with the *shrug*? That's pretty condescending. This is supposed to be fun.

Indeed, condescending. Just like your "take a chill pill."

You, sir, are not a very nice person either.

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #4,778 of 10,747
So far I like JH Audio's support. Unlike dialing and listening to a machine, I go directly to Jerry himself. I called him twice and asked some pretty specific questions. He answered them with ease.

So far, I like what I'm seeing. It looks like my money will be going towards him.

Oct 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #4,781 of 10,747
Quoted from dictionary.reference.com:

Slang Dictionary
take a chill pill

1. tv.
to calm down; to relax. (See also chill (out).) : The police officer told Jim to take a chill pill and answer the questions.

So, yeah, "take a chill pill" is not meant to convey a condescending tone. I remember using this phrase way before I ever heard it coming out from anyone's mouth. I thought I was the first to come up with it lol. Anyways, let's all take a chill pill, k, guys?
wink_face.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #4,782 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, yeah, "take a chill pill" is not meant to convey a condescending tone.

Cool down, okay? Look at it in context. When you disagree with someone, it's easy to tell him to "take a chill pill" as if he were having a tantrum.

(Note: the "Cool down, okay?" was meant to illustrate my point, and isn't an actual comment on anything you said.)

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #4,784 of 10,747
i missed something, but honestly, i think the problem is that people have so many different versions of the english language that a reference like a dictionary is no good for slang. personally, i would not be happy if someone said that to me.

it is condescending.

as for the box - i think for audiophiles, it might work. if you are a professional or someone who uses earphones for work in some way, the big box is a shame. you cannot throw it (they can come out), you cannot stuff it and cram it (it will scratch), and you cannot be sure that it will secure your earphones in case of spillage.

the otterbox is fine for all those things, but isn't as unique, nor as eye catching. JHA are already eye-catching enough: world class sound, 6 drivers... it would be nice to have either option. As it is, this thread is proof that many like the Carbone fibre box. I think it looks fine, but it is completely impractical unless you are a business person who never does anything other than walk to work, open up his/her titanium briefcase, type and put in your earphones. If you have to transport your expensive investment, the 79$ case is very expensive, but not very practical.

either way, JHA are obviously listening to customer, which is amazing and i agree... it is wonderful to ring up and talk to a person, but if they continue to do well (and i know we all hope the will), we will get operator/waiting/queues... etc. that is the way things happen.

JHA - you are doing a great job in a very precarious part of business. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quoted from dictionary.reference.com:

Slang Dictionary
take a chill pill

1. tv.
to calm down; to relax. (See also chill (out).) : The police officer told Jim to take a chill pill and answer the questions.

So, yeah, "take a chill pill" is not meant to convey a condescending tone. I remember using this phrase way before I ever heard it coming out from anyone's mouth. I thought I was the first to come up with it lol. Anyways, let's all take a chill pill, k, guys?
wink_face.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #4,785 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_ba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 160 GB iPod sounds much better out of the headphone out than my 5th gen ipod does. Most importantly, the hiss is now gone with IEMs. The new ipod sounds as good as my iphone 3GS, at least with casual listening (I haven't really A/B'd yet). Still though, the 160 GB sounds better through the line-out dock with a Pico than through the headphone jack.

x2, IMO, the SQ of the new iPod Classic 160gb is very close to the iPhone 3GS. (with my JH13s.)

Can't wait to try it with the Elite SCSCag Viablue LOD (from Whiplash Audio) and my RSA Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back