JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Sep 4, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #4,173 of 10,747
using this... was thinking using my avatar but afraid too complicated

PaneraiLogo.jpg

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #4,176 of 10,747
I’ve had my JH13s for about a week now. For the first few days I was pretty disappointed with them. I could tell the clarity was there under the surface, but the sound was out of focus…much blurrier than with my UE11’s. I chalked it up to the sort of issue that Jamato8 experienced, and hoped they would improve with some burn in. While I waited for that, I also started experimenting with different insertion techniques. I had become quite the insertion pro with my UE11s, so I thought I was already an expert. What I have discovered is that I needed to learn all over again how to properly insert the JH13s, and frankly, I’m still figuring it out. Most of my need to relearn is due to the fact that my JH13s are fatter and extend much further into my inner ear than my UE11s. It’s weird, my UE10s are more like the JH13s in terms of how far they go in, but the UE11s, which I submitted no new molds for, are way shallower.

With my JH13s, I have found the sound is VERY dependent on how they are inserted. The sound changes drastically with even minor adjustments in how they sit in my ears. For the guy that reviewed another guy’s custom JH13s earlier in this thread and rated another IEM as better (that was molded for him), I can totally see how he wouldn’t love the JH13s best unless they were molded exactly for him. I mean mine were molded for my ears for Pete’s sake, and I am not in love with them when they aren’t inserted just right. My advice to anyone who is not blown away by their JH13s is to watch the UE11 insertion video online, and experiment with different amounts of “twist” versus “push” as you insert them in your ears. I’m able to fiddle around until I get amazing sound most times now, but I’m still learning 1 week later.

In any case, due to (still) figuring out how to properly seat the JH13s, and/or potential burn-in, they now sound fantastic. I really haven’t listened to anything other than my UE11s over the past couple years, so here are the 3 things most different to me about the JH13s compared to the UE11s, in order of noticeability to me:

1.Clarity – The JH13s are faster and more detailed. Microdetail is astonishing. That last bit of fuzziness (pretty small I think) that I could detect with the UE11 is gone. If it’s in the recording, you’re going to hear it. When I listed to Nickel Creek’s “Speak” from the album “This Side”, the voices are so focused and clear, and I can really feel the emotion of each pluck of the guitar/mandolin. Despite the ridiculous clarity, the JH13s are very musical (like my UE11s are as well). What a combo!

2.Bass – The bass hump on the UE11 never really bothered me. I even enjoyed it on many types of music. So the fact that that hump isn’t noticeable to me on the JH13s wasn’t a big deal. That being said, I don’t miss it, as the JH13 is certainly not bass shy. What I am really enjoying, though, is that the JH13s go lower. I can hear all but the very lowest bass notes very clearly, and for the lowest notes, this is the first time I’ve experienced something that sounds like a subwoofer in a headphone. In the lowest bass notes from Eric Clapton’s “Lay Down Sally” from Slowhand [MFSL], I can’t detect any directionality to the bass, the space between my ears just resonates with the same sensation I get from a really good subwoofer. (Also note that Eric Clapton’s voice is so noticeably froggy in “Next Time you See Her” that I can’t even listen to it…seriously, clear your throat dude!
mad.gif
). As for Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, fuggetaboutit.

3.Dynamics – The JH13s are very dynamic. Louder passages are going to hit right after softer passages and the JH13s will take you from soft to loud very quickly. With my UE11s, I would set the volume and forget it. With the JH13s, I find sometimes a comfortable listening level gets uncomfortable when the loud passages kick in because the difference between softer and louder is much more pronounced on the JH13s when the music changes suddenly. And I’m not talking just about the most dynamic music like certain classical stuff. I must admit I’m still adjusting to this, as there are times when the level of dynamics is somewhat startling/unsettling. Especially when I listen at night before bed, when sudden changes in volume can be perceived as irritating. Of course, the dynamics of the JH13 are much more like live music, which is not a good sleeping aid.

I'll post some pics soon (clear with no artwork). I especially want to show the difference in depth between my UE11 and my UE10/JH13, as I find it curious (especially since all 3 were made from a single impression I did at UE headquarters).

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #4,177 of 10,747
So I received my jh13's today. They are wonderful but the right ear needs a re-fit. Both sides seal great, but the right monitor hurts my ear. The left monitor is perfect.

Quick impression: They actually remind me of my balanced hd800's. They sound good from my iphone 3gs and wonderful single ended out of my Headroom BUDA and UDAC. These have much more extension on both ends compared to my sensaphonics. However, the sensaphonics are no slouch! They also have a more detail and more soundstage. The sensaphonics have a more laid back presentation and are actually a bit on the dark side. When I pair my 2x-s' with the BUDA, it's too dark, but the BUDA has nice synergy with the JH13's.

I will continue to use the sensaphonics on the train and plane as they have such great isolation and still sound great to my ears. So far I'm happy I ordered them but am also glad I have both the jh13's and 2x-s'.

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #4,180 of 10,747
What is that logo?

matt8268 - that is weird. I must admit I really hope I don't have the same issues as you getting it right. My ear canals are pretty big and straight. Perhaps it' san issue getting the end pointed just right. Due to the added length this would be harder to aim just right, though obviously when done right, would be more detailed and perform better.

Perhaps talking with JHA and getting a remold would help, perhaps something as simple as grinding down the end a bit :s

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #4,181 of 10,747
So I got my JH13 and have been playing around it for about an hour now. The earpiece was slightly bigger than what I expected. I thought the whole thing should nest deep inside my ears but they sort of stick out a little. My ears feel a little stuffed and feeling kinda heavy compared to universal IEM I have been wearing. I am not too comfortable wearing this but I hope I get use to this soon. As for SQ, I rather spend more time before giving my opinion. I'd be overly exggerating if I say I went complete nut over its SQ but it is superb and learning more about it by minutes...

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #4,182 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I got my JH13 and have been playing around it for about an hour now. The earpiece was slightly bigger than what I expected. I thought the whole thing should nest deep inside my ears but they sort of stick out a little. My ears feel a little stuffed and feeling kinda heavy compared to universal IEM I have been wearing. I am not too comfortable wearing this but I hope I get use to this soon. As for SQ, I rather spend more time before giving my opinion. I'd be overly exggerating if I say I went complete nut over its SQ but it is superb and learning more about it by minutes...

Do you remember when you ordered yours? I'm just trying to get an idea of wait time (last I heard, it was about 2 weeks). The ordering page on the website says that they will contact me when they receive the order, but I'm not surprised that they haven't. At least UPS tells me the package arrived.

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #4,183 of 10,747
They got mine done in a little over a week. They are pumping out the jh13s currently
biggrin.gif
You should get an email from Brittany or Jaime when they get your impressions. If you think they got them and they haven't emailed you. I'd email customerservice@jhaduio.com

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #4,184 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you remember when you ordered yours? I'm just trying to get an idea of wait time (last I heard, it was about 2 weeks). The ordering page on the website says that they will contact me when they receive the order, but I'm not surprised that they haven't. At least UPS tells me the package arrived.

It took me exactly 15 days to get this after I shipped my impressions. I live in CA. You will get an email with invoice showing you're charged and tracking # once shipped. Have you received an email from JH Audio yet?

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #4,185 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It took me exactly 15 days to get this after I shipped my impressions. I live in CA. You will get an email with invoice showing you're charged and tracking # once shipped. Have you received an email from JH Audio yet?

I emailed to place the order, and Brittany sent me the order form and told me to get my impressions. I got them, sent them there, and they arrived Wednesday August 26, signed for by "Adam." I haven't heard anything since.

So I gather from the above posts that I shouldn't be pleased with this and will need to call them on Tuesday (Labor Day weekend), almost two weeks after they received them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back