Itching 2 Upgrade ! [m50]
Jul 18, 2011 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BassinURface

Head-Fier
When I got my First set of nice Cans a year ago [the m50's] they really sounded like magic. But I really want to experiment here and I'm really looking to upgrade the arsenal and the problem is i'm not sure which way I want to go.

I do most of my serious listening at home but sometimes , I like to use a generic Ipod when I go somewhere. Mostly Laptop.

I don't know If I want an Amp/DAC combo , maybe even a new pair -_- ! I just need some generic advice.

I listen to bass heavy stuff , electro , house , dubstep,  rap , hip hop . The m50's too me are really "fun" headphones .. I love that punchy tight bass, but I really wanna do 1 better. Even though the bass is pretty solid I think I want more -_- But not sloppy bass.

The only reason why I'm posting this is because most of you guys have nice setup's and these setups aren't just the headphones. Plus even if I do get another pair .. which im actually thinking about maybe some ultrasones 900s? Darth Beyers? even if i decide to get a new pair most of the better headphones need to be driven. 

Basically I just need help on the next step and I want to make an investment to really do more things !

Any kind of advice will be appreciated ! and head-fi members always give the right ones ! 
gs1000.gif
 cheers!

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 17
I recently got the Pro 900 and they're perfect for the genres you've mentioned.

And to my ears, they sound great with only the E7 as DAC. I also have the E11 but I use it with my iPod and sometimes I'm just to lazy to plug it on the E7.

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 17
I've just been hearing mixed reviews for the 900 especially how the bass comes and goes ? 

Even if I decide to pick them up I want to drive them correctly and by correctly I mean to its finest listening experience.

Maybe I'm just looking for a DAC/AMP and I dont even know it.. because I know Im going to get more headphones. Unfortunately I dont know **** about sources ... or what my options are really because like i said i do most of my serious listining at home and now and then I like to ipod it. 

I guess I'm just greedy , but I really want more justice with audiophile. -____-

Btw what do you guys think of a dedicated amp over a portable DAC/AMP ... can DAC/AMP's drive a headphone just as good as a portable amp because I think im trying to find a good source to drive my future cans + my 50 a little better. 

I just want to make the right investment so I dont feel like I need to upgrade again... something to work with? :] Thanks again!

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 17
You cant go wrong with the Pro 900's. I really think you will love them and I predict there will be another M50 for sale soon. Lol

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 17
D5000, ATH-ES10, Z1000 and Pro 900.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 17
I think you're refering to the burn in process. And yeah, it's a bit weird, but people say it smooths at 100 hours, so we'll see (mine has around 50 hours, and I had the episode of having a very light bass at 20 hours, but now it's really strong and tight).

And I agree with Germancub... you really can't go wrong with the Pro 900. You could also get the E7/E9 combo to start (like I said, just with the E7 - as a DAC, the amp section of the E7 is "meh" IMO - they sound great, and I'm planning to get the E9 after my wallet recovers from the Pro 900 buy
biggrin.gif
), and improve it later.

I say this because after getting the Pro 900, I regretted not getting them before (they really change the way you listen to electronic music).

Quote:
I've just been hearing mixed reviews for the 900 especially how the bass comes and goes ? 

Even if I decide to pick them up I want to drive them correctly and by correctly I mean to its finest listening experience.

Maybe I'm just looking for a DAC/AMP and I dont even know it.. because I know Im going to get more headphones. Unfortunately I dont know **** about sources ... or what my options are really because like i said i do most of my serious listining at home and now and then I like to ipod it. 

I guess I'm just greedy , but I really want more justice with audiophile. -____-

Btw what do you guys think of a dedicated amp over a portable DAC/AMP ... can DAC/AMP's drive a headphone just as good as a portable amp because I think im trying to find a good source to drive my future cans + my 50 a little better. 

I just want to make the right investment so I dont feel like I need to upgrade again... something to work with? :] Thanks again!

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 17
Im really thinking about picking the 900's up. Its just I'm a little worried on the the DAC/AMP part really . Like I said I dont want to get that fio then feel like I need to get a better DAC/AMP .. especially if I get other headphones too. Im just not sure what im looking for when it comes to the AMP/DAC part because I dont much about them. I think I wanna figure out if I just want an AMP or an AMP/DAC combo and get a solid one that I can be happy with even if I get better headphones that are harder to drive. 

I hope that makes sense 
L3000.gif

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #12 of 17
I wont over think it . But eventually, I really do want something to give them justice and  If you know anyway to do that let me know 
tongue_smile.gif

Like the post says "Itching to Upgrade"  giggidy giggidy

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 17
What about something like a Nuforce Icon HDP or something from Audio-Gd? Decent enough budget amp/dacs that'll run straight from your laptop via USB. Or if you just want an amp, perhaps the Matrix M-Stage?

It's all down to how much you are willing to spend. The FiiO E9/E7 combo is relatively cheap and would do the job.

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #14 of 17
Have you checked the Schiit line?

http://www.headfonia.com/triple-schiit-asgaard-valhalla-and-lyr/

They seem really good, and I like the looks. Though they might be a bit of an overkill for the Pro 900 (like Shamrock said, they're easy to drive).

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 17
Denon D2000. No amp, no DAC. Win.

If you want to splurge, maybe a Nuforce uDac2. 

OR..

You could sell the M50's and explore the rest of the Audio Technica line... and then buy a NuForce uDac2 to power whatever you need. It does need USB power though, if you need a portable DAC that is battery operated, the Leckerton is still good, as well as your choice of iBasso dac/amps. iBasso uses awesome DAC chips and the rollable opamp feature kind of pays for itself if you upgrade those.

D5000's are pretty wicked if you want a really mean and lean audiophile sound capable of reproducing anything you throw at 'em. Paired with a good source, and they'll be sure to please. You could get a decent dac/amp and pretty much retire audiophilia after those. They're REALLY good and I swear they sound open even though they're obviously closed cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back